Onions low quality

jhan, Nov 26, 3:40am
Is it just the time of the year. they are slightly soft and don't last very long after purchase.

kinna54, Nov 26, 3:43am
Yeh it is the time of the year. I have been buying them loose just a couple at a time. When the newer ones come into season, you will notice a marked difference in the flavour!

uli, Nov 26, 3:59am
The onions you get now come either from a NZ grower - then they have been harvested in January/February and are now 9 months old.
Or they came from China .

snapperheadrkp, Nov 26, 10:05pm
I purchased a 10kg bag of new season Pukekohe Long Keeper onions in Hamilton yesterday.$14.99. You can tell the difference easily -firm with lighter coloured skins, a lot stronger flavor, plus double the weeping when peeling. Try them raw on fresh bread with cheese. (choice)

fisher, Nov 26, 10:16pm
hmmmmmm delicimo. raw onion.:}

ruby19, Nov 27, 12:40am
I love cheese & raw onion sandwiches.
But agree with the onions at the moment.

mazzy1, Nov 27, 12:42am
Yep - absolute bollocks at the moment. They still do the job but you have to remove a bit of brown - yuk!

cabbagefan, Nov 27, 12:51am
im not the only one who noticed that! they are indeed all soft and mushy.we use about 10 a week on average!

fisher, Nov 27, 7:10am
I just went to pickling onions. picked a bag with the bigger ones. a little more work to get the amount you want but good quality. unlike the horrible softies.

kuaka, Nov 27, 8:35am
Potatoes are no better either unless you can get new ones, the old ones are all sprouting ready for planting.

crayonstory, Nov 28, 1:07am
I just bought some last week and every single one was rotting down the middle.Didn't have receipt so couldn't take them back.

eastie3, Nov 28, 1:26am
I agree with fisher,I bought pickling onions.The onions on offer at NW today were greenish,soft and wrinkled,but the price was unchanged and that is one of the reasons that I avoid my local NW most of the time.Overpriced and poor quality.

xjjx, Nov 28, 9:02am
I have also found this with carrots, they terrible.

babytears, Nov 28, 9:04am
Yep I agree onions are soft and not so flavoursome and carrots are old and rubbery, kinda like coconut flesh