Custard Square/Vanilla slice

marcs, Nov 24, 10:09am
There has been a lot of comments about the Denheath custard sqaures. I have never tried them and probably will not till I get back to NZ. I love the Polish vanilla slice which kind of looks similar however the Polish pastry is made with choux pastry as a big slab, cut in half then filled. Here is a recipe that I have managed to adjust and make.

Polish Vanilla Slice

3 Cups of milk
2/3 cup sugar
6 egg yolks (optional) (eggs are optional however you don't have to use it. Denheath ones do not contain eggs but I like the rich flavour)
2 tbs pure vanilla essence
6 tbs flour
2 tbs custard powder
1 tbs corn flour
125g soft unsalted butter
2 pinchs of salt (just pinch no more)

Bring to a boil two cups of milk. Mean while beat sugar, vanilla, flours, custard the rest of the milk together. Once the milk has come to boil, pour a little bit at a time into the egg mixture while whisking. Pour the whole lot back into the pan and put on the heat. Keep stirring until it thickens and comes to a boil. It will be a very thick. Pour in to a bowl and refrigerate to chill completely. Once chilled completely put butter into a bowl and beat at a medium speed. Add the mixture a tablespoon (can be heaped) at time beating well between each addition until all well combined.
Spoon out between two layers of Choux pastry already baked or baked puff pastry. Dust with icing sugar or ice with icing.

skippie1, Nov 24, 7:02pm
At what stage and where do you add the eggs. Thanks

griffo4, Nov 24, 7:39pm
l would say the eggs are in with the sugar, vanilla, custard mix
sounds very nice

marcs, Nov 25, 1:03am
Oops sorry.

Mean while beat eggs, sugar, vanilla, flours, custard the rest of the milk together