Dish drawers questions

wisconsin, Nov 17, 10:39pm
Firstly a silly one I know but instruction book doesn't say - can you have them both washing at once!

Second, no matter which way I try I can't seem to fit in all the bowls, dishes, pots etc used to prepare a meal (and there's only 2 of us).I took out one set of dividers but that hasn't helped.Am I not seeing the wood for the trees!I'm sure there must be a better loading system.

Third, has anyone used homemade dishwasher powder successfully!This two / three wash ups each day is getting to my wallet with the number of wash tablets I'm using.I'd like to be a bit 'greener' :)

tjma, Nov 17, 10:43pm
Yes both can run at once.It's just a matter of trying to pack it all in, we are a family of four and most nights only use 1-1 1/2 dishwashers, but I wash the pots and anything else really bulky by hand.Sorry don't know about homemade powder.

shop-a-holic, Nov 17, 10:52pm
Tablets are very very expensive. Your dishdrawer has a holder for Rinse Aid anyway, so if you use a Powerball plus have Rinse Aid in it; you're using it twice. Tablets are only effective if the Dishdrawer is set for a normal wash or higher, as each mode has a set temperature the dishdrawer heats the water up to - for that mode. In other words, economy washes; fast wash and delicate aren't good for Tablets.
Think about switching to powder, and use Fast Wash (56 mins). It will still do the trick.

seniorbones, Nov 17, 11:51pm
I would never have them again, yes you can have them running at the same time, they are expensive to run just a general wash takes93mins thats over 1-1/2 hours each! so I dont use them much hubby does the dishes at night unless I have people or baked a lot then I will run them. Our power bill reduced by $50 per month as well :-) and your right the larger bowls and dishes dont fit and they never clean properly when I do use it I have to rinse everything really well. They have a new wide deeper one out I wonder what that is like. oh and I always use powder never the tablets.

seniorbones, Nov 17, 11:52pm
I dont think my dishdrawers heat up the water! we have a small electric tank under the sink which services the sink and dishwasher.

uli, Nov 18, 12:43am
Love my one dish drawer - and I never put pots in it. Just the plates, bowls, cutlery and then I run it every second day (for 2 people) or daily when we are 4.

Pots are much better simply soaked after dinner - and washed the next morning - why clutter the dishwasher up with them!

gilligee, Nov 18, 12:56am
Same.

wisconsin, Nov 18, 2:41am
Thanks that's all very helpful info :)
I did find the tablets weren't dissolving if I used a fast wash on eco. so will trypowder.

shop-a-holic, Nov 18, 2:46am
In the 70s, when dishwashers became more common in households, the cost of running them was quite high. Dishwashers were serviced with water drawn from the Main Hot Water Cylinder. It then became more cost effective for some householders to install an additional smaller cylinder under the sink, specifically for providing hot water to the sink and dishwasher.
F&P DishDrawers are cold water connected. The Drawer heats the cold water to the correct temp for the required cycle you have selected.
On the Heavy Cycle, the machine heats the water to 165F.
Hope this helps.

gardie, Nov 18, 3:36am
I always use the 56 minute short cycle - dishes come out beautifully clean.I also double stack - that is, I pop the cups, glasses, plates on the bottom then I put bowls, colanders etc. on top of them.I've even found that a small bowl or ice cream container fits over the cutlery basket and always comes out clean - even with the 56minute wash.When double stacking, I keep the cup racks upso that the bowls fit down on top of the plates, mugs etc.I stand cutting boards up in the middle as well.I would never to back to a normal machine as I fit so much into one dishdrawerWe have double but unless I'm doing baking of a huge family dinner, we only ever use one.I also put all my pots into them as well.Just use a powder - whatever is on special.

mopsy3, Nov 18, 3:38am
2 of you fill and use 2 dish drawers 3 times a day! Am I reading it wrong!

camper18, Nov 18, 3:42am
Have 1 drawer for 2 of us and everything except tupperware and my wooden chopping boards goes in, pots included. Love it and so does my back.

akjg, Nov 18, 4:41am
Have one in this house and hate it! There are 4 of us and I just can't get stuff to fit in it properly. Usually handwash pots anyway, but I much prefer my Dishlex from previous house, wish we'd brought it with us and swapped them!
Most days we have to run both drawers.