Meringue with snax biscuits. Know the recipe!!

my_savannah, Nov 17, 2:08am
x1
Years ago I tried the above concoction and it was lovely.The biscuits were al broken up and mixed with chopped up apricots and some other stuff possibly almonds but I can't remember.I am a lazy cook and would try and make up the recipe but I have never made meringue or have no imagination when it comes to cooking! Can anyone help!

rainrain1, Nov 17, 5:14am
I know the recipe you mean, I had it here.I never tried it, but always meant to, now I can't remember which book it was in.Pretty sure it was in a locally produced recipe book.Hopefully someone will come up with the recipe for you

jrchch, Nov 17, 9:49pm
I think its an Alison Holst recipe so try her website.

rainrain1, Nov 18, 4:26am
I have found this recipe, but not sure if it is the one you want.The recipe doesn't tell you what to cook it in or on.maybe in a baking paper lined cake tin, what do you think !

Nut Torte
1/2pkt snax biscuits
1 cup sugar
1/2-1cup walnuts (chopped)
3 beaten egg whites
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 tsp BP
Mix all ingredients together after crushing biscuits and chopping walnuts.
Bake in moderate oven 30 minutes.When cool, top with whipped cream and grated chocolate.Nice instead of pavlova.

indy95, Nov 18, 10:56pm
I recall the recipe my-savannah has asked for. It is an Alison Holst recipe and I'm sure it was in one of her Kitchen Diaries. I no longer have them but I know there is at least one regular poster, 245sam, who has as I remember her mentioning them several times.

iriegirl, Nov 19, 12:10am
rainrain1, I have had that recipe for nearly 30 years! I make it about 2 or 3 times a year and its always loved, often use hazlenuts instead of walnuts for a change. And yes baking paper is the best thing to line your tin with.

rainrain1, Nov 19, 2:10am
It must be really nice then, I am going to try it for sure asap

245sam, Nov 19, 11:45am
You're so right indy95, I do indeed have all of Alison Holst's Kitchen Diaries and on Friday when I had a few spare minutes I had a quick look through some of Alison's books including the master index for all of the diaries which is in Volume 12 but without knowing the actual name of the recipe it seemed like "looking for a needle in a haystack" however your posting made me all the more determined to look again and rather than looking for meringues or similar I took particular note of the ingredients as recalled by my_savannah and success! I think I have found the requested recipe.

Edited to add that Alison's recipe is actually very very similar to the recipe posted above, by rainrain1.

245sam, Nov 19, 11:57am
x1
Here you are my_savannah.

ADHAM'S APRICOT ALMOND CAKE – from Alison Holst’s 10th Anniversary Kitchen Diary, 1987
From Alison “This is a cake for a special occasion!
It tastes so good that you may well find yourself inventing special occasions so you can have another excuse to make it!
One word of warning, however.Follow the instructions about crushing the biscuits.When I decided to save time and chop the biscuits and nuts in my trusty food processor I changed the texture of the cake completely.It was firmer, drier, and not so nice.
This type of cake is best made no more than a day before you plan to eat it.Enjoy it!”

140g (2 x 70g packets) slivered almonds
20 (75g) Snax biscuits
2 tsp baking powder
½ cup dried apricots
3 egg whites
1 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla

Toast the almonds lightly by heating them gently in a frying pan over low heat, or in a sponge roll pan under a grill.Do not let them get darker than straw colour.
Put the nuts in a plastic bag with the biscuits.Bang the bag with a rolling pin until the biscuits are broken into small pieces but are not as fine as breadcrumbs.Add the chopped apricots.
In a large, grease-free bowl, beat the egg whites until the peaks turn over.Add the sugar and beat again until the peaks stand up when the beater is removed.Fold in the vanilla.Fold the crumb mixture into the meringue, then spoon the mixture into a ring tin which has been sprayed with non-stick spray, and had its bottom lined with baking paper.
Bake at180°Cfor30 minutes, then run a knife around the tin and tip it out carefully on to a rack.As soon as it is cold, invert it again onto a flat serving plate.Decorate with whipped cream, and garnish with more nuts or apricots.:-))

indy95, Nov 20, 12:27am
Congratulations 245sam, that is the one ! I remembered it because of the unusual spelling of the name Adham. I got rid of my Kitchen Diaries several years ago after making copies of some favourite recipes but unfortunately didn't get this one. I am so pleased to have it again and thank you for posting it.

245sam, Nov 20, 12:38am
x1
You're very welcome indy95 - thank you to you for your posting that gave me the determination to keep looking until I found the requested recipe.
:-))

hourigan, Nov 20, 11:19am
Thanks everyone for your input, I'm very excited about eating it again, I will have to have a couple of practice runs before Christmas!