Lemon meringue pie

Page 1 / 2
radman23, Jul 4, 12:15am
Has anyone got a recipe for Lemon meringue pie i have the urge to make one

muppet65, Jul 4, 12:40am
oh wow you must have been reading my mind, I was just about to start a new thread with the same topic.Its something I have never made and my partner and his son loves lemon meringue

suzanna, Jul 7, 1:13pm
I made this tonight for dessert and it just didn't work for me. So what's the secret? The lemon filling was runny and took a very long time to heat through. I actually finished it off in the microwave to see if it would firm up but not really a success. I found the meringue sweet so I would reduce sugar next time. Would it be an idea to blind bake the shell, then bake the lemon filling and finally the meringue ? Would love to know how anyone else has fared or any hints.

suzanna, Jul 7, 1:29pm
Has anyone tried this recipe? I notice that the shell/filling are cooked before the meringue topping...maybe that's what I was supposed to do with JS's recipe?
http://www.bakingmakesthingsbetter.com/2011/04/dirks-lemon-m
eringue-pie.html

eljayv, Jul 7, 9:26pm
suzanna wrote:
I made this tonight for dessert and it just didn't work for me. So what's the secret? The lemon filling was runny and took a very long time to heat through. ]

I make a Julie Le Clerc recipe that I found in the NZ womens Weekly but I always add gelatine to the filling to ensure that when I cut wedges they hold together nicely.I always use geletine for any fruit flans or the likethat may have a runny filling.

darlingmole, Jul 7, 9:38pm
Lemon Meringue Pie ~

Base:
sweet short crust pastry, bake blind for 20 mins @ 190 deg C then for 1 minute on it's own (minus the rice)

Filling:
1/2 C corn flour
3/4 C sugar
3/4 C water
3 egg yoks (save the whites)
1/2 C lemon juice
2 t lemon zest
Mis to combine and bring to the boil STIRRING constantly until thick.Pour filling into the prepared base then spoon over the topping (below) and bake at 190 deg C or until golden

Topping:
3 egg whites
1/4 C caster sugar
1/2 t vanilla essence
beat until stiff but not dry, and thick and glossy.

I personally find it a lot of hard work and it's pretty sweet.Would rather use my lemons and make Lemon & Yoghurt cake (sublime!)

valtrin, Jul 7, 9:56pm
I have never had any trouble with the recipe in the Edmonds Book. The filling is never runny and the recipe is pretty basic.

suzanna, Jul 8, 7:44am
Thanks so much for your replies. I will be trying again with your recipes. Eljayv it's a good idea re gelatine.Darlingmole please do share the Lemon and Yoghurt cake as it sounds delicious.

puppetman, Jul 8, 11:40am
I love eating LM pie, but I don't cook. So a noobie question... sorry. What do you mean cook it blind? I am scared of burning myself putting things into the oven with a blindfold on....Okay, I had 4.5 hours sleep last night and it's almost midnight now and about to hit the sack... so thats my excuse for the dumb joke, but would still like to know what cooking it blind is so I can give it a go.:)Cheers!

dezzie, Jul 8, 6:40pm
Baking blind is cooking the pastry without any filling in the pie, so you put in a layer of greaseproof paper and cover it with riceand bake the pastry for the time stated in the recipe, then carefully gather the edges of your paper and take the rice out and bake again for a wee bit of time to brown the pastry just that wee bit more.
Enjoy!!

puppetman, Jul 9, 2:46am
Thanks. (and thanks for not laughing at my dumb question.):)

winnie231, Jul 9, 3:31am
The JS recipe you tried was supposed to be blind baked first. Maybe you didn't notice that bit on the recipe. Also the brand of SCM you use makes a difference. Personally - I tried this recipe once, but I wouldn't make again. I prefer the more traditional recipe with a lemon custard for the filling.
I haven't got my cookbooks (thanks earthquake) but this one is alot like what I make ...
http://www.nzwomansweekly.co.nz/food/recipes/lemon-meringue-pie/story/3762780/

suzanna, Jul 9, 5:37am
Yes followed the recipe to a 't' including baking the shell blind. Thanks for the link.

mouse_y, Jul 9, 5:41am
Got a nice bag of limes today at the Farmers Market
.. might try a lime meringue pie !

wheelz, Jul 9, 11:21am
ooh Yes.... this is my favourite ! With 2 trees in full fruit just now, I;m in heaven.

dotty23, Jul 11, 10:51am
I always make a delicious lemon meringue pie with a biscuit base (like a cheesecake) which is cooked also.I don't fancy pastry in a dessert.This receipe actually comes from a kids cookbook & is easy-peasy & foolproof! Let me know if you want me to post the recipe as off to bed now!

deb158, Jul 12, 9:46am
Yip I would love that recipe dotty23, sounds yummy with a biscuit base :)Thanks

chasing, Jul 14, 4:20am
Thanks dotty23 I would love the recipe too. I have tried to make Lemon Meringue Pie many times and always have trouble with the pastry base.
Thankyou

suie1, Jul 15, 3:45am
This reminded me of my first time experience of blind baking I didn't realise you needed baking paper, I put rice straight onto the pastry, took me ages to get all the rice grains out! LOL

dotty23, Jul 17, 4:49am
Sorry people, I forgot to check if anybody was interested in the recipe!So, here goes:

Ingredients:
2 large eggs
1 can condensed milk
1 t finely grated lemon rind
1/2 cup lemon juice (not from Meyer lemons)
20cm crumb crust
1/4 cup caster sugar

To Make the Crumb Crust:
Melt 75g butter.Stir in 1 1/2 cups plain sweet biscuit crumbs.Mix well.With the back of a spoon, press evenly over the base and side of a 20cm pie plate.Refrigerate until firm.

1. Preheat oven to 180 deg C

2. Separate the egg whites into 1 bowl(make sure the bowl is very clean).Put the yolks into another bowl.

3. Beat the egg yolks.Add the condensed milk, lemon rind and juice.Beat until smooth and thick. Turn into the crumb crust.

4. Make the meringue.With a very clean and dry beater, beat the egg whites until they form peaks that just fold over when you stop beating & lift the beater. Add the caster sugar, about 1T at a time while continuing to beat.Beat until the meringue is smooth & glossy.

5. Pile the meringue on top of the lemon mixutre, making sure that it touches the crumb crust all the way round the edge.

6. Bake in teh preheated oven for 10-15 minutes or until thh meringue is golden brown.Leave to cool, then refridgerate for 30-60 minutes before serving.

Notes from my experience!!:I like to serve it warm straight from the oven... yummy!

I always double the recipe & cook it in a large round springform pan.I press the biscuit-base right up the sides of the panthen when it's cooked I leave it for a wee while, then transfer it to a big platter for serving - looks awesome!Making it in the springform pan makes it easy to transfer.I'm not sure why the receipe says "not from Meyer lemons" - assume because they're not as strong in flavour?Once or twice I have had a problem with the filling not setting properly.I think this is from using cheaper or "lite" condensed milk.If it just won't set by beating the filling, try adding a bit of gelatine.Overall this recipe is fairly "fool proof"; after all it does come from a kids cookbook!Good luck all, and ENJOY!

liamjosh, Jul 17, 6:41am
This one but I always double the lemon filling part.

firemansgirl, Jul 17, 6:51am
Never made the pie but I have a fab recipe for Lemon Meringue muffins..... so good, and quite easy to make.

darlingmole, Jul 17, 6:55am
This is So easy ... Lemon & Yoghurt Cake

1 & 1 & 3/4 C caster sugar
2 eggs
1 C oil
1/2 t salt
1 C yoghut
2 C flour
3 t baking powder
2 or 3 lemons - use the zest plus the juice

Mis together well and then bake @ 180 deg C for 30 mins ish, should be golden brown.

antoniab, Jul 18, 9:39am
I made lemon meringue pie tonight for pud and it was delish! http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/3482/ultimate-lemon-meringue-pie

suzanna, Jul 7, 1:13pm
I made this tonight for dessert and it just didn't work for me. So what's the secret! The lemon filling was runny and took a very long time to heat through. I actually finished it off in the microwave to see if it would firm up but not really a success. I found the meringue sweet so I would reduce sugar next time. Would it be an idea to blind bake the shell, then bake the lemon filling and finally the meringue ! Would love to know how anyone else has fared or any hints.