Getting good volume with meringue

bigjubblies, Apr 23, 11:44pm
How do i get my meringue really fluffy for my lemon meringue pie, i see them in the shops and mine is really flat TIA

davidt4, Apr 23, 11:46pm
Make sure your bowl and whisk are absolutely clean and dry.Some people rub the inside of the bowl with a cut lemon then dry withpaper towel.

bigjubblies, Apr 23, 11:51pm
always mmake sure things and nice and clean and dry, any other ideas, i will try the lemon thing

elliehen, Apr 24, 12:10am
I find if I use a stainless steel or glass bowl, I get more volume than with the plastic.

malcovy, Apr 24, 12:14am
And do use eggs that are at room temperature.

bigjubblies, Apr 24, 12:29am
i use stainless and also have the eggs at room temperature

elliehen, Apr 24, 1:05am
Add the caster sugar VERY gradually, while beating.

Edited to add:Maybe the shops use some sort of artificial extender - like polyfilla ;)

willow99, Apr 24, 1:06am
I wipe out my bowl with a bit of malt vinegar to make sure its super clean. I add the caster sugar really slowly as well. And basically beat the crap out of it until it's really stiff.

macandrosie, Apr 24, 1:08am
And make sure your'e using a proper whisking beater which will help put air in to egg whites, turn up to fast speed, (I have a big kenwood beater)

bigjubblies, Apr 24, 2:09am
Just did the meringue and it turned out, was lovely and fluffy, thanks for all your help

macandrosie, Apr 25, 1:08am
And make sure your'e using a proper whisking beater which will help put air in to egg whites, turn up to fast speed, (I have a big kenwood beater)