Strawberry Jam!

tielfan, Nov 13, 8:10pm
Any tricks to making this!The four year olds want to make their own strawberry jam.I usually make blackberry jam on the half fruit / half sugar method, is it the same for strawberries or different due to the high water content!TIA

cgvl, Nov 13, 9:50pm
mine is basic, 1.5 kg strawberries, hulled and usually quartered. 1Tbsp water, boil until oft then add 1-1.5kg sugar. Keep at a rapid boil until soome tested has reached setting stage.
Now I add either rhubarb 1-3 stalks to the strawberries when cooking (doesn't change the taste) or the juice of a lemon to help with setting.
I dont skim the mix either but add a pice of butter around the size of a walnut just before bottling, this clears the jam beautifully.

davidt4, Nov 13, 11:07pm
Isn't jam-making a bit dangerous for four year olds!Boiling jam can spit, and ladling it into jars can be tricky.

pickles7, Nov 14, 1:18am
BUY A PKT OF STRAWBERRY COLD WATER JELLY, SETTLE FOR JELLY NOT JAM.

tielfan, Nov 14, 2:35am
thanks cgvl - we've picked the strawberries and the kids hand the rest over to me to do (they just like picking and eating, not jam making).Davidt4- thanks for your concern, the kids like picking and eating - I do the making bit when they are in bed at night but they are more than capable of doing things like scrambled eggs etc with me holding the spoon with them.They cook all sorts of stuff, today they did quiche and gingerbread men, I do the hot bits and they do the mixing. Pickles7 - thanks but no, the kids loathe jelly.

pickles7, Nov 14, 5:26am
I love it. I have a grandchild who will not eat jelly. I just don't get it, lol.

lythande1, Nov 14, 8:41am
I made some on Sunday. Weighed the fruit, then the sugar, 50-50. Added juice of a lemon and threw it all in the pot and cooked it on low until a spoon on a plate didn't run.
Perfect.

guest, Jan 11, 10:22am
Hey, sutlbe must be your middle name. Great post!

guest, Jan 13, 2:09pm
cobain James Iris heisdsc ?? betrha cerami lancs ????????????? ??? doobop ??? ??? wobblies ??????????? ?????????? Mina ? 017 ?????????? ? ????? ? ?? ???????????? ?????? ?? ????? ???????????? ?? ???? ??? Lulu??? ???????? ?? Lulu????? ??????????? ??? ? timo ?? ???? ?????????? ?????? Lulu???? cinia ???...?????? ??????? ???? jetzt ???? ???????????? ???????? ????????????????? XDjoneslin ??? ????? ???????? ?? ???? ??????? ? ???? ?????? ???? ???????? ???? ??? ???Lulu????? ???? XD?? ?????????? ???? ???...