Rhubarb idea's please

Page 2 / 2
dealz4all, Nov 7, 5:07am
Thanks so much for all the lovely sounding recipes, really appreciate it. Love rhubarb :}

mums.toys, Nov 7, 5:13am
i stewed up a heap of rhubarb last weekend, had never done it before so i probably put far too much sugar. anyway i used the syrup and put it into the kids iceblock molds it made delicious iceblocks

wayne472, Nov 7, 6:41am
Rhubarb Champagne
1 Kg of Rhubarb washed and CHOPPED
1 & 1/2 tsb of white vinegar
700 grams of white sugar
3 & 1/2 litres of water
Zest & juice of six lemons

Put all ingredients into A large non metal container,mix it up and make it nice,stand for 48 hours,strain then bottle and leave for three weeks before drinking,it is very very nice and refreshing also non- alcoholic

You can also make ginger beer with the above recipe,but I don't remember how much ground ginger to use instead of the rhubarb.Does anyone have any suggestions!

cookessentials, Nov 7, 7:28am
This is one of our favourites.

BAKED RHUBARB AND ORANGE SPONGE
1 bunch rhubarb,trimmed and chopped. 1/4 cup firmly packed brownn sugar; 2 tsp grated orange rind; 3 tbsp warmed honey; 60g butter; 1/4 cup caster sugar; 1 egg, lightly beaten; 3/4 cup self raising flour; 1/3 cup milk.
Place rhubarb in buttered ovenproof dish,sprinkle with the brown sugar and half the orange rind and pour over warmed honey. Cream butter with remaining orange rind and caster sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg, then fold in sifted flour alternatively with the milk. Bake in a pre-heated modeerately hot oven (190C) for about 40 minutes or until golden. Serve hot with custard or cream. I serve it with a good vanilla bean ice-cream.

whiskey13, Nov 7, 11:36am
Have made this one before and it is wonderful. Haven't made it for a while as mrwhiskey's favourite dessert is Rhubarb and Apple crumble. Which we had for pudding Sunday night. I just never let enough stalks grow to have enough to make the champagne

bev00, Nov 8, 10:45am
Rhubarb Cake

125g butter
2 cup lightly packed brown sugar
2 eggs
2cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 cup milk soured with lemon juice or vinegar
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups rhubarb cut into 2cm pieces or any other fruit.
Pinch salt

Topping
½ cup chopped nuts
¼ cup brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
2 tbs melted butter

Cream butter and sugar. Add eggs one at a time and beat well. Sift flour, soda and salt, add to the mixture. Add milk and uncooked rhubarb. Put in a large tin greased and lined tin. Combine nuts, sugar and cinnamon, butter and sprinkle on top. Bake at 180c for 50 mins to 1 hour.

Very nice served as pudding while hot or as cake when cold.

juliewn, Nov 9, 10:41am
Thanks for the rhubarb champagne recipe above. it'll be part of our Christmas meals, all those coming love rhubarb.

I've today purchased some fresh rhubarb at the great old-fashioned - with an honesty box -road-side shop beside the green cafe on SH1, between Cambridge and Lake Karapiro. they have the best rhubarb I've ever tasted, and when I saw a plant for sale, it was destined for my garden. and will be carefully nurtured and fed very well.

I've tonight preserved 15 jars of stewed rhubarb, plus, as I intentionally used a larger amount of syrup than needed for the quantity of rhubarb, and then drained most of the juice off the rhubarb pieces before bottling them, I've also got 8 jars of delicious rhubarb juice. it looks amazing in the jars - a lovely bright red colour. truly delicious.

And our favourite rhubarb recipe for using fresh rhubarb:

Rhubarb Butterscotch Pie:

Heat oven to 200°C.
Line a pie dish with pastry - any of flaky, puff or short works well - I use a slightly sweet, short pastry.

Wash 4 stems of rhubarb and dry the stems with a paper towel.
Chop into bite sized pieces and spread evenly over the pastry.

Beat together till thick:
4 eggs
1 tsp vanilla essence
3/4 cup brown sugar

Add 1/2 cup flour & a pinch of salt and beat well till blended and thick. There's no baking powder.

Pour this mix over the rhubarb and spread out evenly.

Bake for 10 minutes then reduce the temperature and bake at 180°C for about 20 minutes or till the rhubarb has softened and the pastry has browned.

Serve hot, warm or cold with whipped cream or icecream.

mrsmcgoo, Nov 9, 7:57pm
love rhubarb, yes- as kids we used to say rhubarb rhubarb like blah blah nowadays pmsl

I have loads in the garden, love crumble but also this time of year stew some gently with strawberries and strain to get a lovely delicious 'coulis' sauce for ice cream/yoghurt toppings, you may need to sweeten when cooking - keeps in the fridge, tis yum!

wayne472, Nov 9, 8:53pm
I hope you enjoy the Rhubarb Champagne it is really nice !
When you make it make sure you chop the rhubarb only. I minced it once and it made the "brew" cloudy,

mrsmcgoo, Nov 11, 12:32am
ooh going to try the champagne - when I have enough stalks - cant wait to taste

kernal1, Nov 11, 2:44am
Whow! How do I make my new plant grow quicker so I can try lots of these receipes!
Fav for years- Rhubarb Triffle. Place cooked rhubard in bowl, add sponge broken up, pour over a red jelly (Any Flavour you fancy) Leave to settle. Top with custard, decorate if need be and serve with cream! Found even rhubard haters like this and comeback for more.

mrsmcgoo, Nov 11, 3:35am
my top tips for rhubarb - they like water and poo (manure) and plenty of it - try to water around the crowns only not the huge leaves otherwise you have lots of leafiness and little stems, plant some in sun and some in shady - the ones in the sun will have pinker stems, although they wont taste different to the greener ones - they taste the same green or pink.When the plant is sturdy enough usually about 9-12 months you can split them - this is harsh looking - grab sharp spade and find a natural split in the stems and splice right through it - you now have 2 plants - they will wilt for a couple of days - water plenty and hey presto you do this every few months we have about 14 plants now - :o) and remember (case you don't know) do NOT eat/cook the leaves they contain a toxin which will give you a nasty tummy - dispose of in compost.and wash your hands - :o)

bill.georgie, Nov 11, 4:49am
To reduce the acidity of rhubarb for desserts etc, a good method to make it more palatable is to clean and chop it then place in a bowl and cover with boiling water.This can be tipped away after about 10 minutes and with it goes a lot of the strong acidy taste.However the rhubarb can be left in the water for longer if desired, which will soften it slightly ready for just a small amount of cooking.Tip it away then cook slightly or use in baking.Using this method, only about half the usual amount of sugar is needed to sweeten.

bev00, Nov 13, 11:10am
Rhubarb Spicetrail Shortcake

Base:

125 g butter
1/2 c castor sugar
1 egg
1 1/2 c SR flour

Topping:

1/4 c flour
2 c castor sugar ( sounds like a lot of sugar )
1 t mixed spice
2 eggs
4 sticks rhubarb, finely chopped

For the base, cream butter and sugar well, beat in egg and flour. Press into a baking paper lined pan approx 20 x 33 cm. Cover with topping and bake at 180C for 50-60 mins until firm and set.

Topping:

Combine flour, sugar, spice and eggs, then stir in rhubarb.

Dust shortcake with icing sugar to serve. Any fruit can be used instead of rhubarb.

kamitchell, Nov 14, 4:08am
245sam wrote:
j

RHUBARB CUSTARD CRUMBLE
450g rhubarb trimmed and cut into 2.5cm (1”) pieces - fresh or frozen.
Custard:
3 rounded household tbsp custard powder
85g white sugar
450ml milk

Make a custard with all the ingredients and once it has boiled add the raw rhubarb – the custard will need to be very thick and stodgy. Place the rhubarb and custard mixture into a 1.5-2 litre ovenproof dish, then top the mixture with the
Crumble:
170g flour
85g each of brown sugar and butter or margarine.
Rub the butter into the flour to form a crumby mixture, then mix the brown sugar lightly through.
Bake at 180°C for 40-45 minutes.
Note:If using frozen rhubarb, add it to the custard directly from the freezeri.e. there is no need to thaw it first - the heat of the custard will do that.

[/quote=245sam]

I tried this recipe today, and thought I'd let you all know that it's super easy, and yummy too!I especially liked the crumble topping :)Thanks 245sam!

bev00, Dec 11, 9:24am
Rhubarb and Sour Cream Cake
60g butter, room temperature
1 1/2 cups brown sugar, firmly packed
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
350g flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
4 cups rhubarb, cut to 1.5 cm lengths
250g sour cream
Topping
Combine together
1 1/2 tablespoons melted butter
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
Preheat oven to 180C
Grease 23 cm round tin
Cream butter and sugar add eggs, vanilla
Beat well
Add sifted flour, baking soda, salt
Then add rhubarb and sour cream
Combine well
Put in tin and sprinkle on topping
Bake 40-45 minutes or until cooked

elliehen, Dec 11, 9:43am
Rhubarb stewed with dates (and no added sugar) for a breakfast fruit.

bluetigerrr, Dec 11, 10:23am
I once went to this cafe on the beach at Long Bay, in Auckland - called Cafe Sarne (long gone now). Anyway . the German woman who cooked there made this astonishingly good crumble type pie dessert. And she used rhubarb and banana, yeah - banana. It was THE best combination! God I wish I'd asked her for the recipe . it was like a pie with a creamy rhubarb and banana filling and a streusel-type crumble. Definitely to die for (but alas I did not ;)