Apple Season

racingroo, Mar 27, 4:16am
What is the apple that is in season at the mo. Everything I have bought lately is ewwww.

elliehen, Mar 27, 4:31am
Try a Pacific Beauty, from a roadside orchard stall if you can. They're crisp and sweet. Royal Gala is still OK when it's just picked, but gets 'mealy' quickly. There's a cross called Orin - between Golden and Granny Smith which is on the orchard stalls too.

I'd go straight for a crisp Pacific Beauty :)

gaspodetwd, Mar 27, 4:35am
My fabourite is Southern snap. Only from local orchards.

racingroo, Mar 27, 5:38am
Thanks, don't think we have any roadside orchards here. Will look for Pacific Beauty! ! ! ! !

pam.delilah, Mar 28, 3:01am
I too highly recommend for the Pacific Beauty, best apple there is. Yummy, juicy and crisp. Some times they are too big so I just have 1/2 at a time

uli, Mar 28, 3:17am
In season now are the early apples:
Gala
Royal Gala
Discovery
Gravenstein

followed soon by the mid and late varieties like
Northern Spy
Splendour
Braeburn
Golden Delicious etc...

The apples you bought were most likely out of the cool store - last years apples, about 10 months old now.

racingroo, Mar 28, 4:11am
Thanks I have got some Royal Gala as the shop I went to didn't have Pacific Beauty. I will go on the hunt this week for them! ! ! =)

fergus96, Mar 28, 4:45am
Pacific Beauty are my favourites. I work on a commercial apple orchard and we pack Pacific Queen which are basically Pacific Beauty. Another strain very similar is Pacific Rose. Sometimes they are also called NZ Queen. Very confusing, but they are all delicious. We have just finished packing Royal Gala and tommorrow we will start on the Red Braeburn so look out for those appearing in your supermarkets.

racingroo, Mar 28, 5:18am
Thanks! ! ! !

uli, Mar 28, 5:49am
The "Pacific" Range was developed especially for the Asian market. They are so sweet that your dentist tells you brush your teeth after you have eaten one. As opposed to the old saying that an apple after a meal can clean your teeth nearly as good as a brushing... .
I am amazed at the amount of people recommending those apples in here. I find them very sweet but with not much "apple" taste at all.

3jtrader, Mar 28, 11:04am
I'm eating our Granny Smiths straight off the tree and loving them.

tuii2, Mar 28, 5:15pm
granny smiths not usually tree ripe until May then they taste better my parents use to sell apples at road side and dad would never pick grannys until then

willman, Mar 29, 5:29am
Pacific Rose is a nice eating apple.

uli, Mar 29, 9:11am
tuii2 - everything up here is a month early because of the drought! So it may well be that some Granny Smiths are ready already. I am harvesting the Braeburns a month early - NOW!

st_allie, Mar 29, 9:40am
My apple and pear trees were picked two weeks ago. . All juiced now and fermenting as cider.

skippie1, Mar 29, 9:50am
Braeburn is the apple being picked at the moment in Hawkes Bay. Yummy straight from the tree.

susan21, Mar 29, 6:35pm
Watch out for JAZZ. Think they will be in the supermarkets in about 2 weeks!

uli, Dec 15, 4:55pm
Yep - but if you look it up this is a very early year - to pick them now - except if you pick them on one of the huge orchards that will cool store them. They always pick them unripe of course ... cause they will then last for 10 months and taste like sh*t ...