If making a apple crumble do i

simber1, Jul 16, 5:50am
have to cook apples first or can i just slice and put crumble on top then bake,Thanks

shiyo, Jul 16, 5:53am
slice and crumble on top. i dont cook first.

simber1, Jul 16, 5:58am
thanks shiyo,do you have a nice crumble receipe you could share, i want to make my first one for sunday lunch tomorrow and want it to be a success.thanks

toadfish, Jul 16, 6:14am
Alison Holsts one is just the best... Mine is in my "meals without meat book"....

gaspodetwd, Jul 16, 6:17am
I like to make the crumble with oats and nuts in too.and mixed spice and brown sugar with the apples.

janny3, Jul 16, 6:34am
Whizz 200 g flour w/ 100g butter & 100g sugar to the consistency of breadcrumbs.Sprinkle over your fruit & bake at 180 - 220 C for around 20 mins.

If you use raw apples you'd need to cook up to 45 mins, so it's easier to 1/2-cook your apples first.

shiyo, Jul 16, 7:44am
I melt brown sugar and butter, add 1/2 cup flour,then add anything to it. Crushed weetbix, cornflakes, rolled oats, coconut. Comes out beaut. No set measurements just melt and mix until it is all coated, (A dry mix)

falconhell2002, Jul 16, 7:46am
I cook the apples just enough to soften them but still have them hold their shape and now thanks to hubby I add a couple tins of pineapple pieces.Yum.He come back from a hunting trip talking bout this yummy crumble!

korbo, Jul 16, 9:20am
apple crumble on a hunting trip....my hubby wants to know when the next trip is.......lol...lol..

I always cook apple first, with a few whole cloves, my dad always did it this way, and now my daughters do as well. Sometimes i add some frozen berries as well.....
a hunting we will go, a hunting we will go.....tell us more......

elliehen, Jul 16, 9:40am
Best idea...otherwise you could end up with a nicely cooked crumble top and crunchy apple underneath.

falconhell2002, Jul 16, 9:52am
Lol they went to some place where you could drive in to the huts.The guy that runs the trips is a chef...lucky huh!But the good thing was they could take everything in that they needed.Tinned apples, tinned pineapple and the crumble made in a bag ready to go.

janny3, Jul 17, 8:03am
Served me right too.Learned the hard way.So now I slice the apple & nuke it w/ sugar & a cpl Tbs hot/boiling water, in a closed dish, on high for just a minute.It's half cooked but cuts the baking time in half.We are always in a hurry to eat!

eastie3, Jul 18, 1:45am
I dice the apples,cover with a couple of TBS sugar,1tsp of cinnamon and a tiny drizzle of water,barely enough to cover the base of the dish.Microwave for a couple of minutes on high until just cooked.I like Braeburns or Granny Smiths.

suie1, Jul 18, 3:34am
This is my sons one from intermediate 1/2C Fresh Breadcrumbs, 1/2 C Flour, 1 t Cinnamon, 3 T Sugar, 60g Butter I usually double it. Also I build it up in layers by using 1/2 of it, in layers of topping & apples then the remaining 1/2 on top. Use raw sliced apple. Cook for 30-40mins at 175 C.

wildflower, Jul 18, 4:37am
I can't go past oats and almonds mixed with brown sugar, butter and sometimes ground ginger.Gingernut biscuits go well too.

nellbee, Jul 18, 4:41am
I'm a purist - just flour, butter and sugar, and not too finely rubbed in or whizzed. In addition, I add little cubes of butter on the top before cooking, which caramelizes deliciously as it cooks.

donna_jo29, Jul 18, 11:14am
yummy

cgvl, Jul 18, 10:43pm
I use a Rosemary Schrager recipe for the crumble, got it off google after watching her program. It is so yummy but very sweet.