Cake Sinking Help!

hodgeman, Nov 10, 6:08am
I have made a lovely chocolate cake 3 times now and every time during about the last ten minutes of cooking it sinks down in the middle (I haven't opened the oven door either).Why does it do this!Its is a very moist recipe with tons of liquid, but none of my other cakes do this.The cake comes out delicious, but I have to waist a fair bit, by cutting the outer top to make it even with the sunken middle.Any help much appreciated.

campmum, Nov 10, 6:13am
What is your oven temp & is it fan bake!

hodgeman, Nov 10, 6:19am
I'm just doing normal bake at 160 for an hour.The recipe did say 180 for 45min but they came out very burned on the top.We have moved homes and the oven definitely is a lot different to my other one.

hodgeman, Nov 10, 6:20am
Its such a pain it honestly sinks about an inch in the middle lol.But a lovely cake.I might just have to change recipes.

campmum, Nov 10, 6:25am
Hmmm.drop temp to 150 & maybe cover cake with brown paper 1/2 way thru cooking.temp gauge might be on way out. good luck

campmum, Nov 10, 6:27am
I have covered a caramel mud cake with tinfoil 1/2 way, that might help, keeps heat in but shouldn't burn top

hodgeman, Nov 10, 6:27am
Thanks campmum, I've just done a wee google and might also have a play around slightly with recipe, eg drop baking powder a little.

campmum, Nov 10, 6:28am
Add a little more flour maybe

hodgeman, Nov 10, 6:29am
Second attempt I did cover it with tin foil, but as the cake rose it got stuck to the tinfoil haha.It rises really lovely then does a big collapse towards the end.

hodgeman, Nov 10, 6:29am
Yes I will do that too, it is a very liquid mixture.

campmum, Nov 10, 6:30am
sounds like it may need a 1/4 cup more flour & put nonstick paper on top

hodgeman, Nov 10, 6:31am
roger that, thanks for your help!

campmum, Nov 10, 6:31am
You should give me your recipe & I will have a go

hodgeman, Nov 10, 6:36am
Great idea
2 C flour
3/4 C cocoa powder
2 C sugar
1 tsp b powder
2 tsp b soda
1 tsp salt
3 tsp coffee in 3/4 C boiling water
1 C milk
1 C vegetable oil
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla

Mix all dry ingredients together, add in everything else, then beat really well, bake 180 for 45mins
I'll keep an eye out on this post and see how you went.

camper18, Nov 10, 8:06am
Pretty similar to another large chocolate cake recipe on this forum which a lot of people have made with great success except it has 3 .5 cups of flour and I think this might be your problem. I would try another cup of flour to that ratio of liquid and see if that stops it sinking.

campmum, Nov 10, 8:15am
Yep your right camper18. I make this one all the time & it is really awesome, never had a problem. Sounds like too much oil.
Here is the recipe without the coffee and have halved the recipe further down page.
One Bowl Chocolate cake
Roast pan size cake
3.5 c flour
3.5 c sugar
3 t/s Baking powder
1.5 c cocoa
1 cup oil
2 cups milk
3 t/s baking soda
1 t/s salt
4 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups of boiling water (added at end)
Put all ingredients (except for the water) in a large bowl mix well to a batter. Add boiling water and mix till smooth bake in the over at 160 for 1hr. you can split the mix and make two smaller cakes or make 1 smaller cake and put the rest into muffin tins the choice is completely up to you. This is an excellent cake if you have a large family or just want to impress people. Gets moister by the day so stays nice and fresh very similar to mud cake.
Small Cake
1 ¾ C flour
1 ¾ C sugar
1 ½ tsp Baking powder
¾ C cocoa
½ C oil
1 cup milk
1 ½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
2 eggs
½ teaspoon vanilla
1 cup of boiling water (added at end)