Biscuit mix in a jar...

cookiebarrel, Feb 2, 10:39am
do you think it would be OK to send it to Aust in a snaplock bag and in bubblewrap(instead of in a jar) and would there be a problem with customs? Would like to send it over to my wee neice who is just starting baking, but mum is working and not able to spend as much time as she would like helping with weighing and measuring all the ingredients. Do want to get the young lass into baking and decorating cookies though and thought that this might help.

245sam, Feb 2, 11:16am
cookiebarrel, IMO and from our experience, having travelled to and from the UK and to and from Australia there would almost certainly "be a problem with customs" and more particularly the Australian equivalent of MAF - you may think that N. Z. is strict with what is allowed to be brought into the country but we found Australia to be even more strict and the most strict compared to the UK and N. Z.

I'm sorry but I really think your plans for helping your wee niece in the way you had hoped will be full of disappointment, however if you wish to check further then I suggest that you check with our own (N. Z. ) authorities which is what I did before we left for the UK and in readiness for our return from there via Australia. :-))

cookiebarrel, Feb 2, 4:30pm
Thank you for that 245sam. Did think it could cause problems, but as I have sent decorated fruit cakes over in the past wondered if I could do it. Think wee niece needs to come and live with Aunty in NZ for a couple of years ;-)) Havea parcel of cookie cutters and other bits and pieces to send her and suggested to her mum, if I sent over a few dollars for her to buy some sheets of sweet short pastry for young one to get started on, but she so wants to get into the baking from scratch bit as well. Will have to get her to also buy some of the packet mixes, though I do not like to encourage the use of them with all the preservatives and additives in them!

ferita, Feb 2, 5:36pm
Powder in a snaplock bag.

Yeah thats not gonna look suspicious at all LOL

juliewn, Feb 3, 4:23am
Hi. . I've sent mixes for recipes in sealed snaplock bags to my Son in Melbourne (and previously to him in Vancouver) - including the dry ingredients for Christmas Pudding this past Christmas.
On the customs form, I wrote 'food items in sealed bags' - there was also a Christmas cake I made for him that was wrapped in layers of plastic wrap then bubble wrap, and placed within a large parcel of items.
The parcel's have always reached him without being opened.

ps. . Hi Shirley. . hope all is well for you :-)

guest, Jan 11, 7:51am
That's an astute answer to a tricky qusotien