Asparagus rolls .help

anna787, Oct 26, 1:42am
I want to make these for the first time can somebody please tell me if you need to cok the asparagus or just use it raw! thanks

ladybook, Oct 26, 1:45am
Cook it in salted boiling water, the best ones have white day old bread and a thin spread of cream cheese, yummy!

elliehen, Oct 26, 1:49am
.and snap off the woody purple-y bits on the bottom before you cook them because they're not always tender enough.The tender top halves need only a few minutes cooking.

Do the 'bite' test for done-ness :)

anna787, Oct 26, 1:49am
awesome, thank you

samboy, Oct 26, 6:17am
nicest made with tinned asparagus but its hard to find these days.Don't try the one in jars as its very woody on the end.Our favourite is fresh wheatmeal sandwich loaf with Best Foods Lite Mayo.Very yummy.

eleyne, Oct 26, 6:24am
disagree about the tinned asparagus - much better made with fresh lightly cooked.

terraalba, Oct 26, 6:25am
Best to pepper very lightlythe buttered bread and drain the asparagras very well as soggy rolls are messy.

uli, Oct 26, 10:02am
Instead of bread you can also use ham, bacon or a thin omelet to wrap the asparagus.
My best ones were wrapped in smoked salmon spread with cream cheese.

erewhon04, Oct 26, 4:25pm
Thin omelet to wrap the asparagus.now that's a fine idea for my gluten-free buddies.Yum.

happymum1, Oct 28, 7:08am
sorry got to use tinned asparagus and dont forget to trim the the edges off the bread for divine, i could eat tons of these :)

pickles7, Oct 29, 1:39am
I must say the tinned asparagus are tastier, for asparagus rolls.
I bought "Ready to microwave asparagus", this week.very nice. Ready in 3 minutes.

southerngurl, Oct 29, 1:41am
ohh vomit! My dad used to open them up and spread them to a mush before rolling them back up again *blerk* use cooked ones.

scarlettnz, Oct 29, 7:08am
I'm used to the tinned ones as well but they must be well drained.But as for using day old bread as a poster up thread suggested. Yuck, no way.It has to be fresh.

Just don't add sweet chilli sauce, which I once saw at a function I attended.I love sweet chilli sauce as much as the next person but it has no place being in an asparagus roll!

figjamto, Oct 30, 12:25am
Would agree, the only way to go is tinned asparagus, fresh sliced loaf with crusts trimmed off.(great for makind breadcrumbs or the birds will love you) .have not made these for awhile, but they seem to go soooo fast, easy to pick up and eat, people seem to still love them.an oldie but a goodie as they say

anna787, Oct 30, 12:43am
thanks so much its a christmas party so will use cooked if its still around i'm glad i asked i was going to chuck them in raw lol. good to know tinned works too :)

annette021, Nov 2, 10:35pm
nice with cream cheese and avocado mashed together then spread on bread then asparagus spears yummy

poolgirl6, Nov 2, 10:37pm
Nice with mayonnaise spread on the bread too

lcscott, Nov 2, 11:27pm
that question goes to show that some people have absolutely no idea. Surely one would know to cook it first to make it tender and absolutely yummy for rolls

athena2, Nov 2, 11:45pm
I'm glad you asked too! Can't imagine raw asparagus rolls.

craftylady1, Nov 4, 7:37am
Fresh white bread, and lightly salted fresh asparagus.nom nom

kinna54, Nov 4, 7:56am
$1 for every one of these I've made I'd be a millionaire.
When catering I always used tinned, (simply for the sake of convenience) but was very fussy on brands and would only ever buy spears.
If making with fresh asparagus, and you are adding to salted water also add a wee bit of white sugar, around 1/4 tsp to the water.
When I cook asparagus I prefer to steam it or microwave it.
Do not overcook it.
To asemble the rolls:
lightly buttered bread,*buttered well to the edge of the slice*all crusts cleanly removed (and I prefer the bread thefresher the better)
Place the lightly salt and peppered asparagus*you don't need anything extra*in the centre of the bread and roll from the bottom left hand corner of the bread up to the top right hand corner.
You should finish with a tiny triangle at the top which you roll underneath and stick down. If it doesn't stick add a tiny bit of butter to the edge of the triangle. When plating the rolls place the underside down on the plate.
Enjoy!