Are supermarkets gassing their meat!

ant_sonja, Oct 19, 10:39pm
Grimm :-x

pickles7, Oct 19, 10:59pm
We have been buying our meat from the local butchers now for a while. Most Supermarkets are not operating a butchery now, They bring in all raw meat already packaged, and cooked meats already sliced from outside there premises. Cooked meat is rather off-putting as I saw a assistant putting fresh meat on top of the old, in a Supermarket a while ago. I did not let it rest. If consumers are prepared to turn the other cheek, someone will get very sick. My Husband was not happy I caused such a fuss, but if the next assistant and the next took the same shortcuts.Staff need to know they will be seen taking these shortcuts. I guess that is one dept. that will avoid taking shortcuts. I used to buy freshly sliced meats, the ham in the fridge was never sliced the right thickness for me. lol. The local butcher, don't mind slicing fresh.

catgirl8, Oct 20, 12:24am
gastly.oops slip of the tongue, ghastly thougfht

pickles7, Oct 20, 12:27am
not,ghostly, then

jbsouthland, Oct 20, 1:11am
believe so.sadly

eastie3, Oct 20, 6:44am
All power to you pickles,I would also speak up if I saw that in my supermarket.In Miramar we no longer have a local butcher and I struggle to think of one in the eastern suburbs.For many years I bought my meat at the much missed Cuba St butchery where the window display could make Mr E weak at the knees(now I have to )

tfl, Oct 24, 1:12am
they definatley gas. my partner works for a company that makes the shrink wrap stuff for meat - its a special type that needs to withstand the gas used when sealing the packets of meat (something to do with the porosity of the shrink wrap not allowing the gas to escape - extending the life of the meat - Im not sure about the technical detail)Sounds gross though

nfh1, Oct 24, 1:17am
Oh yummy - gassed meat and then when it looks like it will not last any longer they marinade it.

I would never buy meat which has been marinaded - once was enough.

imn, Oct 24, 2:40am
Luckily NW dont do it. You can tell by the way they pack. If its vacummed packed with that tough plastic its gassed. If its normal plastic (stronger than we use at home) then its not. I would NEVER buy meat like that. yuk.

Agree about the marinade too #10. Its always the old stuff they do it to. blerk. You can taste the difference too.

rocky92, Oct 24, 3:03am
Gross, glad we raise/hunt all our own meat and get our local butcher to process. Vaccum packing would look like a similar packaging, would'nt it!Vaccum paking I would think would be fine, When I have any meat done at the butcher I have it VP so it last's well in the freezer, It also last's alot longer in the fridge as no air can get in ( I dont leave mine in the fridge for long however). I dont know how some of the things they do to our food is alowed!Some things really need to change regarding what we are eating.
I cannot eat Beef from the supermarket, it is disgusting, I would rather have a freezer full of Venison, venison mince is great too.
Chicken is the only meat we buy and it is very average, I cant believe the broken bones in the nibbles, its very off-putting.

jennis, Oct 24, 3:36am
Wow - thanks for posting the info.

I noticed in the first article this:

'Foodstuffs, which owns New World and Pak N' Save, said it doesn't gas flush fresh meat.'

Does that mean they gas flush older meat!

patxyz, Oct 24, 3:42am
and!

pickles7, Oct 24, 5:02am
I wouldn't be so sure. A lot of Supermarkets have done away with there butchers, and there meat is bought in pre packaged. It must be three days before it is put out in the Shop, after it has been packaged. Anything in black polystyrene, or black plastic, would be dodgy.

puss..in..boots, Oct 24, 6:04am
You do know that apples, avos and other fruits can be 4+ months plus before they hit the supermarket shelves!

uli, Oct 24, 6:08am
Yes I know - apples in the supermarkets now are in storage since April/May - and they will be sold until the new crop appears - March/April.

However minced meat is another thing as apples aye!

imn, Oct 24, 6:20am
They do not gas ANY meat. The older stuff is marinated. This was on Campbell live this year. The man from Foodstuffs assured us. Also we saw the difference as to how its packed.

There still is a butcher at NW. I spoke to him just last week.

shop-a-holic, Oct 24, 6:39am
Gased meat: Only at Woolworths; Countdown and Foodtown - Shop smarter everyone!