Shamiana - Butter Chicken recipe!

joaopnz, Oct 20, 8:27am
Anyone has the recipe for a butter chicken like the one they sell at the mall (Shamiana)

I am pretty sure has lots of sugar on it, but I have tried many different recipes and no one as good.

tks

hezwez, Oct 21, 6:28am
x2
Is this it! No added sugar though beyond what's in the processed stuff.
Ingredients (serves 4)

* 125ml (1/2 cup) natural yoghurt
* 1 tbs lemon juice
* 1 tsp turmeric
* 2 tsp garam masala
* 1 tsp chilli powder
* 1 tsp ground cumin
* 2 tsp grated fresh ginger
* 2 garlic cloves, crushed
* 1kg chicken breast fillets, chopped
* 125g cashews, roasted
* 60g unsalted butter
* 1 tbs sunflower oil
* 1 onion, finely chopped
* 1 tsp ground cardamom
* 1 cinnamon stick
* 1 Indian bay leaf* or normal bay leaf
* 2 tsp sweet paprika
* 425g can tomato puree*
* 150ml chicken stock
* 250ml (1 cup) thickened cream
* Steamed basmati rice, to serve

Method

Combine yoghurt, lemon juice, turmeric, garam masala, chilli, cumin, ginger and garlic in a bowl. Add chicken and stir well. Cover and refrigerate overnight.

Reserve half the cashews and place remaining cashews in a food processor. Process until finely ground.

Heat the butter and oil in a pan over medium heat. Add the onion, cardamom, cinnamon and bay leaf and cook for 2 minutes until the onion starts to soften. Reduce heat to low, then add chicken and marinade, paprika, tomato puree, cashew powder and stock. Simmer for 15 minutes. Stir in cream and cook for a further 10 minutes.

Garnish with cashews, chopped coriander and serve with rice.

Notes

Begin this recipe the day before. * Indian bay leaves are available from spice stores. Note: Tomato puree not tomato paste.

joaopnz, Oct 28, 8:06am
HI There. it sounds like a nice recipe, but I don't think it would take the same as the one in the Mall.
I am pretty sure theirs have lots of sugar and not as many ingridients, I am mean, they charge 8 bucks for a curry, can have the amount of spices and long preparing time.

But I will make this one and see how it goes.!

tks!

sarahb5, Oct 28, 8:47am
x1
Haven't ever had butter chicken at a Mall and no idea what/where/who Shamiana is but the best butter chicken I've ever had is the spice blend sold on here

perle, Oct 28, 10:32am
x7
a friend of mines friend works there, they use tomato soup as a base, cream and spices. Hope that helps

gardie, Oct 28, 7:01pm
Not a fan of the butter chicken but chicken korma is another story - any tips for that!

guest, Mar 8, 4:04am
x1
thanks for the tip chef_perle I think i maybe as close as i'm going to get to the mall recipe besides buying it!!

summer8, Mar 16, 11:36pm
Uli.is this horses mouth from shamiana! lol ;)

summer8, Mar 17, 12:10am
did you guys try those recipes posted earlier! any closer to the shamiana one at the mall!

uli, Oct 28, 9:09am
Here is my "secret" recipe - (And this comes from an old Indian friend - so from the "horses mouth"):

You need:
150ml yoghurt
50g ground almonds
1 1/2 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp crushed bay leaves
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp garam masala
4 green cardamom pods
1 tsp ginger pulp
1 tsp garlic pulp
400g tomatoes (tinned)
1 1/4 tsp salt
1kg chicken, skinned, boned and cubed
75g butter
1 tbsp oil
2 medium onions, sliced
2 tbsp fresh coriander, chopped
4 tbsp cream

Place the yogurt, ground almonds, all the dry spices, ginger, garlic, tomatoes and salt in a mixing bowl and blend together thoroughly.
Then put the chicken into a large mixing bowl and pour over the yogurt mixture. Set aside.

Melt together the butter and oil in a wok or frying pan. Add the onions and fry for about 3 minutes. Add the chicken mixture and stir-fry for about 7 to 10 minutes. Stir in about half of the coriander and mix well.

Pour over the cream and stir in well. Bring to the boil. Garnish the butter chicken with the remaining chopped coriander and serve the chicken curry.

That is what I do since years - and it always comes out fantastic

sarahb5, Oct 29, 1:39am
No fenugreek!

mwood, Oct 29, 2:39am
obviously not an Indian horse

joyce123, Oct 29, 7:08am
Uli, I have just tried your recipe. It was lovely. Thanks for sharing.

falcon-hell, Oct 29, 5:32pm
i love the butter chicken from the malls too,did you make the other one joaopnz!

taurus2005, Oct 30, 2:26am
Going to try this tip, thanks.

sarahb5, Oct 30, 2:37am
x1
Talking to the owners of our local Indian supermarket and they cook fresh tomatoes long and slow in butter which they then sieve.They cook the chicken in the spices then re-add the tomatoes and only a little cream and yoghurt to thin it.

whiskey13, Nov 4, 5:36am
Hint please as to who they are so i can buy some please