How best to cook kumara!

Page 1 / 2
dazzahc, Oct 19, 8:01am
I know Kumaras are very good for our bodies but they are not easy to cook (I usually boil them and add them to salads, but boiling takes FOREVER).Any better ideas! We like them soft, but not soggy.and the kids are picky!Any advise is much appreciated :)

petal1955, Oct 19, 8:44am
Cook them in the microwave with their skins on.pierce the skin and cook for about two mintues then turn.when they are soft to touch.they are done!.just like jacket pototoes done the same way.

elliehen, Oct 19, 9:01am
Boiling takes forever!I chop them into cubes to boil for salads and they're soft within minutes.

dazzahc, Oct 19, 9:34am
Oh, I boil them as whole with skin still on! But will give the microwave method a go :) Thanks!

camper18, Oct 19, 9:47am
Cant understand your kumaras taking a long time to cook dazzahc as I boil them every night with potato's (for D/H who loves them ) and they are usually cooked soft ahead of the potato's.Can only think you may have a bad batch of "Woody Centre" which is caused by the wet season and left too long in the ground. Friend recently struck some of these and returned them to the grower (we live in the "Kumara Capital" of Kaipara}and they replaced them.We buy kumara for $1 kg and dont usually have a problem.

meg34, Oct 19, 7:53pm
We have an American version of (sweet potato) kumara bake and I chop up kumara in to equal sizes usually quarted, and then place in baking dish with knobs of butter, about half a cup of orange juice,with about the same of brown sugar, then salt and lots of pepper. bake for about 20 mins on 180. this is lovely if you are having a roast or cassarol, its sweetish but earthy. family fav

otterhound, Oct 19, 8:07pm
Mix 600 gm grated kumara with 1 tsp salt, leave for 10 mins then squeeze out all moisture.Mix together with a small grated onion, a beaten egg, a tsp fresh rosemary (or less dried) and a Tbls chopped parlsey. and 1/4 tsp ground black pepper.Make into patties and shallow fry about 4 mins each side.Lovely as a side dish.

lythande1, Oct 20, 7:27am
Boiled, don't take any longer than potatoes. You storing them too long! They will go woody (off). I like to bake them too - they go squishy but it's yum. And roasted, yum!

mellish, Oct 21, 10:25am
I steam them (cut into small pieces) and then mash with cheese. YUM

ahfz, Oct 21, 11:27am
Chop up with some pumpkin, par boil then toss with some evoo and seasoning, roast with some capsicum and aubergine. Abit of feta and pitted olives, and voila! Yummy roast veg salad.

natalie9, Oct 21, 11:31am
Cut into 2-3cm cube, put on oven tray tossed around with olive oil. Bake for about 40 mins, caramelised and delish! Can eat like this or make salad with mayo, boiled eggs, spring onions, shaved parmesan and roast garlic (whole bulb put in with the cubes). mmm

ahfz, Oct 21, 11:35am
Yuuuum. I'm leaving this kumara thread immediately - getting midnight carb cravings just reading.

mary92, Oct 22, 10:21am
Camper I never see them for one dollar a kilo and they grow them around me also. I must say I like them better then potato.
You can also add a little crushed pineapple when you mash them that's nice

chooky, Oct 22, 12:02pm
Roasties. Kumara, pumpkin, spuds, parsnip, cut into cubes, olive oil, mixed herbs, into oven approx 40mins. Half way through cooking I add onions cut in quarters.

fifie, Oct 22, 10:39pm
Steam in large chunks dosen't take long, kumera and orange salad is yummy, or cut out potato in your diet and replace it with kumera baked, stuffed, steamed, or roasted if you want to lose weight, there is no starch in it like potatos.

elliehen, Oct 22, 10:44pm
fifie, there is starch in kumara, but it has a lower Glycaemic Index to that of potato and takes longer to digest so keeps you feeling full for longer.

daleaway, Oct 22, 11:50pm
Peel and cube, toss in a melted oil/butter mixture, dust with a little cinnamon and garam masala, plus a bit of salt and pepper, and oven roast.

Or do them plain as Italian arrosti, cubed and mixed in with cubed potato - just roast in olive oil. Season.

uli, Oct 22, 2:59am
My current favourite (now that the Australian wild Banana Prawns are about again in the shops)

Prawn and Kumara Fritters

300g diced raw prawns
1 tbsp grated fresh ginger
2 tbsp Thai chili sauce
small handful of chopped coriander

BATTER
1/3 cup of self raising flour
1/3 cup of rice flour
good grind of pepper and salt
1/2 - 3/4 cup of coconut cream
1 medium grated kumara

Method
Place first four ingredients in a bowl, mix together and leave to marinate while combining the batter ingredients.
Combine self raising and rice flours in a bowl, season.
Mix in 1/2 - 3/4 of a cup of coconut cream to make a thick smooth batter.
Add 1 medium grated kumara.
Mix in prawn mixture.
Rest for a few minutes.

Cook in oil over medium heat in frying pan.
Depending on the size of fritter this should feed 4 - 8 people.

Serve with your favourite dipping sauce eg Sweet Thai Chili Sauce.

This recipe came originally from here:
http://www.deltakumara.co.nz/index.php

davidt4, Oct 22, 3:15am
uli, do you think these might work with 2/3 c rice flour, a tsp baking powder and no wheat flour!They sound great.

uli, Oct 22, 3:19am
Yep that will work well - I never use the wheat flour myself, but that was the original recipe, so I gave that. You can also use millet flour or quinoa flour. Might have to adjust the amount of liquid though.

Another variation I have tried (based on a fritter I get here in one of the local sushi shops) is to use instead of the kumara half potato (grated) and half onion (in rings or slices).

sarahb5, Oct 22, 8:28pm
Absolutely - roasted is the only way to go!I also include some pumpkin, onion, capsicum and balsamic vinegar in mine and they are just as good cold the next day if there are any left

carlosjackal, Oct 22, 9:39pm
This is really morish and even nicer heated up the next day:

KUMARAGRATIN

Ingredients
• 4-5 Kumaras (or potatoes or a mixture of both)
• 4 Rashers of bacon (or use bacon bits)
• 1 Onion Chopped
• 1 Packet of Maggi Bacon and Onion soup mix
• Some cream
• 1 cup Grated Cheese

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees
2. Fry bacon & Onion together (or separately)
3. Peel and slice Kumara
4. Mix the soup mix, sauteed onions and bacon and some cheese
and some cream through the kumara slices.
5. Pile the whole lot into large baking dish.
6. Cover a little more with Grated Cheese and pour over a little
more cream
7. Bake in oven for around 45 mins to an hour

nzl92, Oct 23, 4:23am
Chop them into matchbox size pieces then dip with Olive oiland cook on a George Foreman Grill. 7 -8 mins.Leave skin on. s & p to taste . yum!

lythande1, Oct 23, 4:38am
They boil quicker than potato. Roast them, use them in chips, mash, gratins, whatever you would do with any other root vege. Boiling is kind of boring if you stop at that.

uli, Oct 23, 5:00am
Matchbox or match sticks!
Quite different size!