Xmas BBQ - any ideas for something a bit flash.

Page 2 / 2
fisher, Oct 10, 11:05am
Beetroot Salad with Orange
Ingredients:
600g of beetroots . 1/4 tsp of white pepper. 1/4 cup of orange juice . 1/4 tsp of mustard powder. 1 tbsp of salad oil . 1/2 tsp of orange rind .
salt to taste.1/4 - 1/2 cup of spring onion rings.
Method:
Boil the beetroots till just tender. When cool, peel and dice them into half-inch cubes. Chill them. Mix orange juice, oil, salt, pepper, mustard powder and orange rind in a bowl and whisk till the mixture is homogeneous.
Just before serving, mix again and pour the dressing over the beetroot pieces and garnish with rings of spring onion.

fisher, Oct 10, 11:13am
bk02you can prepare this at home and take it with you. just add quantities to suit all your people. roast your beetroot and place in Tupperware container. take veges and prepare when ready to serve. mix all other ingredients at home and put is sealed container all ready to go.2 mins to throw it together. great when camping.
Roasted Beetroot and Tomato Salad
Preheat oven to 200c
Ingredients:
10 small beetroot, well washed.2 tomatoes, sliced thickly.2 spring onions, sliced diagonally.2 tbsp each fresh parsley, dill and tarragon
1 tbsp sugar.1 clove garlic, crushed.salt and pepper to taste .50ml olive oil.3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
Method:
Bake beetroot 1 hour turning as required, or until tender. As soon as the beetroot can be handled, peel and slice thickly.or cube if you want.
Place in a large salad bowl. Add remaining ingredients and mix well.

duckmoon, Oct 10, 9:29pm
I loved a butterflyed leg of lamb on the BBQ

bk02, Oct 11, 3:07am
aaaahhhhh your a legend fisher thank you so much.I will definately be doing this one it sounds great and easy to take.

fisher, Oct 11, 3:32am
bk02.This one is real simple and can be done in a pot and steamer over the bbq grill or once again, prepared and taken with you. just upscale for the amount of people.
Kumara Salad
3 - 4 orange kumara."Best Foods" mayo.1 large red onion.
Peel and cube kumara."Steam"till just tender.Let cool. Mix with a few tablespoons mayo and chopped red onion.Let sit for an hour or two in fridge or iced chilli bin and remix before serving.

pods, Oct 11, 9:41pm
We haven't had a traditional Christmas dinner for years, we always have a BBQ and I get chicken kebabs, fillet steak and all the different salads, I also do vegan food as my daughter and son-in-law are both vegans, desert is always at night as we always eat too much at lunch to enjoy it, my daughter makes a yummy vegan cheesecake and the only thing we have that is traditional is a steamed pud but I also make that vegan and we have custard made with coconut milk instead of cows milk and that way we can all eat it,

davidt4, Oct 11, 10:11pm
Can you tell me how you make this!How do you thicken the custard without the usual egg yolks !

pods, Oct 12, 6:37pm
davidt4 wrote:
Can you tell me how you make this!How do you thicken the custard without the usual egg yolks ![/quote

I cheat and use custard powder as I can't use eggs for my daughter, just make it the same as you would with cows milk. I must say it is really yummy with the coconut milk.

rainrain1, Oct 12, 6:52pm
Buy a carton of good steak