Would u buy one of those sandwich presses

Page 1 / 2
amanda_simonp, Oct 4, 8:16am
been weighing it up as I imagine you could do panini's, toasted sandwiches, tortillas but we have a toasted sandwich machine and just wondering if they are worth buying that as well or is just another gadget!

Thoughtgs!

samsara11, Oct 4, 8:18am
I have fits of using mine and then it goes back in the cupboard for a while.Depends on whether you like to do lots of paninis etc I guess

southerngurl, Oct 4, 8:26am
We have the toastie pie maker that cuts it in two. annoys me a little cos if i do my chunky pineapple and cheese it doesnt contain it all. When this one packs in i'm getting a press instead

craig04, Oct 4, 8:40am
I love my sandwich press - it's a really big Breville one, it does big paninis x2 at a time, toasted sandwiches and it also makes beautiful burger patties and grilled salmon steaks without needing oil

kinna54, Oct 4, 8:53am
I have a panini/sandwich press type machine that I bought when I had a bit of a fad. I don't use it as much now, although a friend uses hers all the time, her hubby even cooks Bacon & eggs on it.
Important to buy good non stick utensils to use with it to protect the surface.
Mine is a breville.

wheelz, Oct 4, 11:47am
use my Brevillesandwich press every week, wouldn't be without it.

nzl99, Oct 4, 5:19pm
Me too.Although mine isn't really big. does four sammies at a time. :-)

amanda_simonp, Oct 4, 6:32pm
Many thanks for your help.I think I need to invest in one

ruby19, Oct 4, 7:17pm
We use ours quite a bit cook the obvious toasted sandwiches & paninis, but also make our homestyle kebabs, which I wrap in foil and heat in the sandwich press, just like the takeaway ones. Kids especially enjoy this. Also it is something the kids can use to make themselves a snack.

tarshlove, Oct 4, 7:29pm
Yeah I use mine for toasties, cook burger patties and bacon on it. Make kebabs and cut up tortillas and toast them to make chips with it. Use it at lease 1 a week. I like the fact it sits up in the cupboard nicely.

buzzy110, Oct 5, 5:07am
I am so worried that elli will not come in here and warn you all about the dangers of teflon so I'll do it for her:

:One of the main chemicals used in the manufacturing process of Teflon® and other nonstick pans is perflurooctanoic acid (PFOA) also known as C-8. This chemical has led to cancer and birth defects in lab animals, and may have led to birth defects in DuPont plant workers. In 2005, an independent panel reporting to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) declared PFOA a likely human carcinogen."

motorbo, Oct 5, 5:10am
a frying pan works well too

knowsley, Oct 5, 7:10am
"In recent years the EPA and industry have been studying PFOA to determine what if any human health effects exist. PFOA is a polymerization aid, not an ingredient, used to help make fluoropolymers. It is largely removed during the final steps of polymer production and by the high temperatures used when most fluoropolymers are made into finished products. The EPA has said, “Although our risk assessment activities are not complete and new data may change the current picture, to date EPA is not aware of any studies specifically relating current levels of PFOA exposure to human health effects”. The EPA has also stated “At the present time, EPA does not believe there is any reason for consumers to stop using any products because of concerns about PFOA”.

Wrong again. You're going for the hat trick tonight.

carlos57, Oct 5, 7:15am
I have both a sandwich press and a toastie pie (as we call them!) maker, and we use them for quite different fillings. Tend to do things like ham and cheese in the sandwich press, and messier fillings such as mince, baked beans etc in the toastie pie maker. So for us they don't really double up :)

knowsley, Oct 5, 7:20am
Mmmm, Croque-monsieur.

Or did you mean use one on the side of a certain posters head!

bunny51, Oct 5, 9:45am
I have one and use it all the time. (Most weekends it gets used)

dbab, Oct 5, 6:53pm
I make the best pikelets on my sandwich press a couple of weeks ago. I could make 6 at a time.

obsidianwings, Oct 5, 6:56pm
I use my george foreman grill for things like that and love it. I wouldn't bother having a toastie machine as well, can all be done in the one. Get a press or grill and get rid of the toastie machine

trottjb, Oct 5, 7:16pm
I use the George Forman Machine for this and use cooking paper top and bottom without putting spread onto the outer sides of the bread, this is healthier and keeps the machine very clean.

dezzie, Oct 5, 9:40pm
We use our sandwich pressfor other things as well, its advantage over a george foreman grill is that you can lock the top in postition so cook quite thick things without mashing them, vege "fritters" and homemade fish cakes get done in ours in preference to a frying pan.

elliehen, Oct 5, 9:53pm
Not content with raving on under her own name, buzzy110 is now invoking the names of other posters for her rants.

You have been WARNED.not about teflon, but about the possibility that your name too could pop up in her puppet glove ;)

motorbo, Oct 5, 10:13pm
no i didnt but i like ya thinking.na i weas meanign if your not sure if you would get use out of it try using the frying pan everytime you want to use one.if you use it often then go buy one.my sister was the queen of kitchen appliances she never used.

cookessentials, Oct 5, 10:33pm
We have one, although, it has not been used in a while. We have the larger panini press. You can also buy what are called "toasta bags" all you do is pop your "sandwich" into the bag and it goes in your toaster. They can be washed and re-used up to 300 times.

amanda_simonp, Oct 5, 11:01pm
I think Im sold on one many thanks

elliehen, Oct 5, 11:48pm
Thanks for all the ideas on how to use it.I've just redeemed 430 FlyBuys points for the Breville Sandwich Press.looks like a useful thing to have for easy summer snacks.