Tupperware whats the deal hype or worth the money

Page 1 / 2
m41, Oct 4, 8:09am
any advice ppls :)

skye7, Oct 4, 8:30am
I find Tupperware products excellent and they do stand the "test of time". However, you can buy good plastic products from many retail stores so depends how much money you want to spend on storage containers.

I do highly recommend the Tupperware onion chopper (awesome product).

kinna54, Oct 4, 8:57am
Like all products there are good items and ones you never use.
I love the pasta strainer, the collapsible bowls I find hard to use with my old hands.
I think it is getting over priced now,there are other more economical products around that are as good.

kuaka, Oct 4, 9:53am
It's always been expensive, which is probably one of the reasons it was always sold through the party-plan, so you invite all your friends and neighbours along and they feel they "have" to buy something or look like a skinflint in front of all their mates!

nfh1, Oct 4, 9:56am
Yes - I absolutely agree.

I used to hate those parties!

chooky, Oct 4, 10:11am
I did my pantry out with all the containers in 1982, still using all of them, may have broken a few lids but they replace. It was dear then and is still dear, but it lasts. I actually went to a party on saturday, took back two lids, didnt want anything for myself, but brought two Christmas presents so I was happy.

buzzy110, Oct 4, 9:13pm
I think they are fantastic. Long after other plastic items have deteriorated and hit the rubbish, my tupperware is still going strong and are/is(!) in as good a condition as when they were bought. I also find that they are perfect sizes and shapes and they do the job the company says they will, not just for a short time, but for their entire life, which seems to stretch on forever. I've got Tupperware that is well over 30 years old.

I am not in the least bit interested in owning jelly moulds, wine glasses or some of the novelty items but a friend has hauled out her Tupperware toy (a big ball type thing with shapes) for her first grandie and that is now getting another good workout.

elliehen, Oct 4, 10:10pm
"While the vast majority of Tupperware products are considered safe, for example, some of its food storage containers use polycarbonate (plastic #7), which has been shown to leach the harmful hormone-disrupting chemical Bisphenol A (BPA) into food items after repeated uses."

Quite a few links to investigate for anyone concerned about which Tupperware products are suspect.

pods, Oct 4, 10:34pm
I sold tupperware 35 years ago and have still got the shape-o-ball that I had in my kit and it is now being played with by my two grandies and it is still just like new. It is a shame that it is so expensive as it does outlast all other plastics.

darlingmole, Oct 4, 10:53pm
Question:why would you want plasticwear to last forever!

jag5, Oct 4, 11:58pm
because some of don't belong to the "throw away" generation of today.

1grasshopper, Oct 5, 12:31am
No tupperware contains BPA, recylcing code 7 is for anything that doesnt fit into the other catagories.Tupperware make a brochure outlining which plastics are in each of their containers.Tupperware that is given back to be replaced it also recycled :) Hope that helps

elliehen, Oct 5, 1:50am
Maybe not the 2011 product run.

But 10-year-old Tupperware!20- and 30-year-old Tupperware!

elliehen, Oct 5, 1:53am
"According to The Green Guide, a website and magazine devoted to greener living and owned by the National Geographic Society, the safest plastics for repeated use in storing food are made from high-density polyethylene (HDPE, or plastic #2), low-density polyethylene (LDPE, or plastic #4) and polypropylene (PP, or plastic #5). Most Tupperware products are made of LDPE or PP, and as such are considered safe for repeated use storing food items and cycling through the dishwasher. Most food storage products from Glad, Hefty, Ziploc and Saran also pass The Green Guide's muster for health safety.

But consumers should be aware of more than just a few "safe" brands, as most companies make several product lines featuring different types of plastics. While the vast majority of Tupperware products are considered safe, for example, some of its food storage containers use polycarbonate (plastic #7), which has been shown to leach the harmful hormone-disrupting chemical Bisphenol A (BPA) into food items after repeated uses. Consumers concerned about such risks might want to avoid the following polycarbonate-based Tupperware products: the Rock 'N Serve microwave line, the Meals-in-Minutes Microsteamer, the "Elegant" Serving Line, the TupperCare baby bottle, the Pizza Keep' N Heat container, and the Table Collection (the last three are no longer made but might still be kicking around your kitchen)."

http://www.popsci.com/earthtalk/article/2008-08/how-safe-tupperware

hezwez, Oct 5, 3:54am
Hmmm, makes me relieved that the only 30 year old tupperware I have is a sewing kit/tackle box type container, never used for food storage.

buzzy110, Oct 5, 4:29am
Golly gee. I'm touched you care so much about my health elli. Pity you do not spread that concern amongst those you consider friends instead of encouraging them to use foods filled with chemicals and sugar on a daily basis. Very few of my tupperware containers store food items btw and often I put the packaging and all into the containers so all they are doing is keeping my cupboards nice and tidy. I never store cooked or wet food in plastic and I never have. I have lovely glass and pottery bowls and now we have silicone which can be used for lids. I hope that clears up any concerns you may have for my continued good health.My bathroom cupboards are also the proud possessors of many of my tupperware containers, storing all sorts of things still in their original packets. And I have used, continuously, for over 30 years, a really large tupperware container for a first aid box which is carried around in any vehicle I may be in. It has thermal blankets and all sorts of useful equipment that no other container has ever been found to last long enough, is light enough, is airtight enough or is generally the correct size, to contain all these items easily.

elliehen, Oct 5, 4:50am
What a diatribe!I am simply answering the OP's question.

Once again buzzy110 - it is NOT all about you ;)

buzzy110, Oct 5, 5:01am
Then why use my quote then! If you don't want it to be about me, don't bring me into your conversation.

On another note, not all tupperware has to be used for food.

elliehen, Oct 5, 5:14am
Picking up the relevant part of a quote to carry on the conversation (in this case, your mention of 30-year-old Tupperware) does not mean it is all about you, buzzy110.

You appear to have great difficulty separating the issue from the poster.

rainrain1, Oct 5, 6:03am
if you like it, can afford it, buy and enjoy!its very good

whaka2, Oct 5, 8:09am
Love it, have done my entire pantry and have lots of lunch containers and storage for the fridge and freezer. Yes it is expensive but I like to be organized and for me it is well worth the money to have a place for everything and everything in it's place. It is easier to afford if you can just buy one or two things at a time or have party yourself and that will help if others who are genuinely interested buy something.

tommy382, Oct 5, 8:23am
Dare I say I have Tupperware dated 1955 made in Canada or USA. Still going well in the Pantry. But I do agree it is very expensive today.

sarahb5, Oct 5, 8:06pm
I have a whole cupboard full of Tupperware that I've inherited from my mum (love my party susan or whatever it was called from the 70s), have bought some at parties and got good deals by hosting a party, have bought some off here - what I like most is that it is durable and most parts are replaceable - even on my 30 year old square rounds (which is what they used to be called) I can get new lids.

Is it OK to use plastic that old!I don't know but what I do know is that my mum's been using Tupperware for as long as I can remember - she's 80 and still going strong.Unless you can blame an arthritic knee or cataracts (her only health worries) on long-term use of Tupperware then I will carry on.

sarahb5, Oct 5, 8:07pm
And when my daughter went off to flat at uni this year she hosted her own Tupperware party, invited all her friends in the same situation (and their mums) and pretty much has a pantry full of Tupperware (her box measured about 1m cubed) and all for about $50!

amanda_simonp, Oct 6, 4:10am
im loving Tupperware.I use to think it was too expensive, and yes it is expensive but lasts, lasts, lasts.Lids barely ever break.Sturdy etc.I now wont buy the cheap and nasties any more as they just don't last.I had a party and got over $300 free stuff.So worth a party and also these parties are quite good girlie things to do (I did mine two years ago - and no I don't sell it) but am becoming an advocate and would love for my pantry to be decked out