Cast iron!

marklilla, Oct 2, 8:21am
hi out there does any one know if buyingcast iron frying pan from briscoes or farmers is as good as the ones you can buy in the expensive stores like the homestore!

cookessentials, Oct 2, 8:26am
There is quite a difference, however, it depends on your budget, how often you would use it etc. Lodge is one of the best cast iron pans, they are pre-seasoned cast iron and USA made since around 1896

pickles7, Oct 2, 8:33am
Briscoes have a sale on at the moment, cast iron, looked OK. You would need to look at the warranty. I have enamel coated, cast iron, it dose chip.

pickles7, Oct 2, 8:41am

beaker59, Oct 2, 12:44pm
Black cast Iron preseasoned or not is all the same IMHO wash season them weather it says to or not and it will be awesome the enameled ones do get better with better brands as it depends on the coating thickness and quality. I have a black iron frypan purchased from the warehouse when it first opened how long ago is that 15yrs maybe! its as good as the day I bought it and will outlast me for sure and probably whoever gets it after I am gone.

pamellie, Oct 2, 6:16pm
I bought one from Briscoes a couple of months ago and it seems ok and gets better every time I use it.I think for $15 you can't go wrong.
I have one that I have had for about 15 years that my husband brought home as someone was going to throw away. I don't know if it's a particular brand but it's very smooth and well used now.
I would never be without them now.

horizons_, Oct 2, 7:37pm
I have a cheap set (preseasoned/black) of 4 from the 70's ($15) and a $2 frying pan. Still as good as the day they were purchased and in use daily. Wouldn't be without them.

karenz, Oct 3, 1:03am
I cook using cast iron wherever possible, some of mine were bought in Asian food shops very cheaply and they are great as long as you look after them, oil them after use and don't let them get rusty.Have also bough a few second hand including an casserole dish coated in bright orange enamal that takes two hands to lift but cooks things almost twice as fast as a stainless steel casserole. Even have some really old ones and a genuine American griddle bought second hand.

pickles7, Oct 3, 2:12am
My enamel coated, cast iron pot has a few chips, where the lid fits down into the pot. It is probably fifty years old, and has gone camping a few times. It was very handy to cook with, on the free standing fire top. I don't cook using cast iron, any more.
The Americans have "cook outs" using there, cast iron dutch ovens, looks like heaps of fun on you tube.

craig04, Oct 3, 3:20am
My Mum still has some of her Le Creuset cast iron cookware from when she got married - 50yrs ago! I can only dream of such things however so I make do with my wonderful old cast iron skillet and an enamel-coated frying pan from IKEA in Oz which does the job creditably

cookessentials, Oct 3, 3:43am
Had a lady come into the shop on Saturday and she cranked up the heat on her hob and put a cold cast iron pan on the top and wondered why it exploded and embedded itself in her kitchen cupboard!

karenz, Oct 3, 3:53am
I must have had a lucky escape, I accidentally switched the wrong hob on and the empty cast iron pot must have been on there a good 10 minutes before I noticed a strange smell and rescued it.Doesn't seem to be any harm done, I worked with someone that laccidentlly eft their Le Creuset pot on the stove most of the day when they were at work, fortunately it was on low, and the pot survived.

pickles7, Oct 3, 3:55am
was that the hob or the cast iron pan!cooks

cookessentials, Oct 3, 4:08am
The pan "picks". Thermal shock is what caused the pan to explode. You NEVER heat an empty cast iron. You also never put a cold pan onto a hot element. Your pan should be heated gently on a low to medium heat. Also cool your pan right down before putting it in water.the thermal shock can and will crack the pan.