What cake can I make Pink!

katienz11, Sep 26, 4:56am
Its my sister-in-law's birthday soon, and I want to make her a special birthday cake.I have access to a really neat cake tin, shaped as a heart.I havent really used food colourings before.But Id like to make a nice pink heart-shaped cake for her.Any suggestions for a recipe I could use!I thought maybe a madeira cake without the lemon, and some red colouring! would that work!Thanks.

me-shell1, Sep 26, 5:16am
pink lady cake is yummo and its pink ;)

hezwez, Sep 26, 5:23am
Just be aware that if you use red with butter icing you'll get orange since that's the secondary colour they'll produce.

cookessentials, Sep 26, 5:29am
The coconut cake with pink coconut icing in the 'cakes" thread is nice.it is a large cake though.

gardie, Sep 26, 5:29am
Second that - and make it with coconut cream instead of milk.Even yummo-er!

gardie, Sep 26, 5:31am
I haven't had that problem - I just use the bottled red food colouring for icing but I do also have red gel colour and haven't had any problems with either of them going orange.If you beat the butter up a bit before adding anything to it, it does go paler - would probably help with the problem.

katienz11, Sep 26, 5:35am
I dont think she is that keen on coconut unfortunately.

leogal1, Sep 26, 5:54am
Maybe Red Velvet Cake but not using so much red food colouring so that it's pink perhaps!

kinna54, Sep 26, 6:51am
In the past I have made a heart shaped sponge(fielders recipe) and have added a few drops of cochineal and coloured it pink, it comes out like a light strawberry colour.
You could use a plain maderia cake (beware of your recipe tho, they can be a bit dry.) Otherwise a good buttercake recipe, or try the Edmonds 3 minute sponge, and add a few drops food colouring.

pam.delilah, Sep 26, 7:03am
Pink Lady Cake
Ingredients
250g butter
1 cup White sugar
1 egg
1 cup plain flour
1/4 cup desiccated coconut
1/2 teaspoon cochineal or pink food colouring soaked in 1/2 cup of milk
1 teaspoon baking powder

Pink Butter Icing
2 cups Icing sugar
25g butter melted
1-2 drops cochineal or pink food colouring desiccated coconut to sprinkle on top.
Method
Cream butter and sugar, add egg. Alternatively add flour and coconut and the ‘pink’ milk mixture. Add baking powder and mix until smooth. Pour into a well-greased and paper-lined round or square approx. 20 cm cake tin. Bake for 35 minutes at 190°C. Cool on a wire rack and ice with pink butter icing when cold.

Pink butter icing
Mix all ingredients together until a smooth creamy consistency. Sprinkle with coconut.

MAKES AN AVERAGE-SIZED CAKE

jessie981, Sep 26, 8:01am
Maderia cake