Where to buy Chinese pancakes for Peking Duck

spongeypud, Sep 20, 3:28am
My Mum loves Peking Duck, she has the duck but we can't find the pancakes that go with them in any of our various Asian supermarkets here in Auckland. She'dlove to get her hands on them somewhere (they could just pick them up in the normal supermarkets in England), she's tried to make them before but now losing her sight would prefer the pre made ones if possible. Anyone got any ideas please!

meegs35, Sep 20, 4:00am
Ooooh I would love to know too

cookessentials, Sep 20, 4:46am
Here is a link for ken Hom and he is making the pancakes if that helps.
http://www.youtube.com/watch!v=2SmDLsFWBdU

cookessentials, Sep 20, 4:48am
Here is a cuisine recipe also for the pancakes
http://www.cuisine.co.nz/index.cfm!pageID=28037

buzzy110, Sep 20, 4:53am
x1
Why not go to your nearest Chinese takeaway and ask them to make your mother some!

schnauzer11, Sep 20, 9:15am
That's odd-they seem to be in the fridges at all my Asian supermarkets here in ChCh.Little sqaure ones,with an embossed texture.Exactly the same as I've eaten in Peking duck restaurants in China.Good luck.

spongeypud, Sep 20, 10:48am
Not making any as I mentioned above, but it's weird that we have so many Asian supermarkets here and no pancakes to be seen for sale. Pity I didn't know about the ones in CHCH I have a friend moving from there and coming North, she could have got me some.

cookessentials, Sep 20, 10:16pm
Maybe you could get the details of the CHCH shop and have some sent up!

spongeypud, Sep 21, 12:56am
You would have thought that with the amount of Asians we have living in Auckland that they'd be readily available, I'm very surprised.

deus701, Sep 21, 2:47am
Have you tried Taiping in the city! last time i was looking for pandan leaves and travelled nearly all the shops (dominion road, lims, etc) and found it in taiping.

deus701, Sep 21, 2:48am
this pancakes is normally quite cheap and easy to make. there is a chance you wont find it as its not really a profitable product.

spongeypud, Sep 24, 3:01am
I've tried Taiping in New Lynn they don't have them there, it sounds like you could be right there Alexander.

lythande1, Sep 24, 4:58am
Peking Duck Pancakes
Put 250g of sifted flour into a bowl and gradually mix in 250mls boiling water until a smooth dough is formed. Stand for 30 minutes then knead for 3 minutes. Divide the dough into 16 portions and flatten each in your hand. Brush half the portions with sesame oil and top with the remainder. Place between baking paper sheets and roll out each portion to 15cm diameter. Heat a little canola oil in a frying pan. Cook each pancake for 1-2 minutes per side. Remove from pan, separate immediately and stack in warm oven covered with foil until ready to use.

My god, why would you BUY them!

daisyhill, Sep 24, 5:49am
Because you are no longer able to make them yourself, as the OP explained.

spongeypud, Sep 24, 10:18pm
Not everyone is capable of making them unfortunately. I know there are hundreds of recipes.