Soggy Pastry

davey49, Sep 16, 11:01pm
How do you make pies with flakey pastry that are not soggy on the base.

lodgelocum, Sep 17, 12:27am
Make sure your filling is cold before putting on the pastry.Is your oven hot enough!

maynard9, Sep 17, 12:55am
I use savoury short on the bottom and flakey on the top.
Very thin layer of grated cheese over the bottom before putting the filling in helps too.

cookessentials, Sep 17, 1:09am
You can also purchase what is called a high wall crispy tart tin which is approx 24cm in diameter with a loose base. The base has holes in it so that your pastry is well cooked every time. it is approx 4cm deep.

davey49, Sep 17, 1:32am
The tin sounds a good idea.Where would I get one.

darlingmole, Sep 17, 1:34am
I have an even better idea peoples~!Annabelle Langbein has this trick that whilest you preheat your oven for your pie/quiche that you have a biscuit/baking tray in there at the same time heating up . when you put your pie in the oven it's placed directly onto the already hot tray hence making your pie have NO soggy bottom.Have tried this and yes it works!

seaspray1, Sep 17, 3:49am
+1 That's how I've done it for years.Works well.

indy95, Sep 17, 4:31am
+2 Yes it does.

eurika, Sep 17, 4:36am
If you are making a B & E pie, grate some cheese over the bottom, adds to the flavour and stops the pastry going soggy

samanya, Sep 17, 6:54am
That's the one .for any pie.
Works for me without fail.

jbsouthland, Sep 17, 7:00am
heat anotheroven tray that you place pie tin on in oven.pie slightly lower than middle rack,cheese in bottom.a thin layer ofslicedcooked spud on the top of B&E pie is also nice.then the top pastry lid. Oops just read above tips ;)

raewyn64, Sep 17, 9:34am
Me too - I always had a soggy bottom to my pies but used her tip, plus having the oven up higher for the first 15 minutes and it works perfectly for me too.

davey49, Sep 17, 7:23pm
Thanks.Will try the oven tray trick.

camper18, Sep 17, 9:12pm
And for sweet pies with juicy fruitssprinkle a layer of flaked rice on the bottom and it thickens the juice but you dont taste any difference