Favourite slow cooker recipes using blade steak

spoeklet, Sep 7, 2:23am
I am a bit broke this week and have a nice slab of blade steak in the fridge. Does anyone have a favourite slow cooker blade steak recipe they want to share!

tarshlove, Sep 7, 2:41am
I'd make a beef stroganoff with it

juli55, Sep 7, 3:31am
Easy Stew
Cut up some cheap steak into cubes enough for your family
Add a chopped onion
Sliced carrot rings
1 or 2 packets of Continental gravy mix made up.
Leave for 8 hours on low. Tastes good and really easy to make.

Left-over Roast Beef
Put it in slow cooker with heaps of veges, gravy, and a pack of Maggi lasagne mix!
Cook on low for most of the day, then added some cooked pasta to it at the end. YUM!

Meatballs in Sundried Tomato Sauce:
Serves 5 to 6 cook on low/auto for 6 -7 hrs or high 3-4 hrs.
700g extra lean mince
1 cup fresh breadcrumbs
2 eggs beaten
3 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
¼ tsp cayenne pepper
2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
1 Tbsp dark soy sauce.
For the sauce
¼ cup finely chopped sundried tomatoes in oil well drained
1¼ cup good quality beef stock
¼ c tomato paste
1 Tbsp corn flour
1 Tbsp water.
In a bowl combine all the ingredients for the meatballs, then make into balls about the size of golf balls.
Put into the slow cooker in two layers. Combine the sundried tomatoes, beef stock and tomato paste and pour over the meatballs. Cover and cook. 30 mins prior to serving turn the control to high, stir the corn flour into the water then stir in to the sauce to thicken it. Cover again and cook on high for the final 30 mins till the sauce has thickened. (you can add more corn flour/water just before serving to thicken more if needed)

Malay Beef Curry
1-1.2 kg gravy beef cubed
2 Tbsp ground coriander
1 Tbsp ground cumin
1-2 tsp chilli powder
2 tsps Chinese Five Spice powder
1 tsp turmeric
3 Tbsp canola oil
1 medium onion, quartered and sliced
4 cardamom pods, squashed
1 x 5cm cinnamon stick
1 whole star anise 'flower'
6 cloves
4 medium potatoes, cubed
3/4 cup coconut cream
1 cup boiling water
2 Tbsp corn flour
2-3 Tbsp lemon juice
1-2 tsps salt
1 cup frozen green beans or peas, optional.
Turn the slow cooker on to HIGH to preheat. Place cubed meat in a bowl. Measure in the first 5 spices and toss everything together so the meat is evenly coated with the spice mixture. Heat half the oil in a large fry pan. add the onion and cook until soft, then add half the meat mixture. Cook, stirring frequently, for about 5 minutes until the meat is lightly browned, then transfer to the slow cooker. Heat the remaining oil and brown the rest of the meat before adding to the slow cooker. Add the whole spices, potatoes, coconut cream and water to the cooker, stir to combine, then put on the lid and cook on LOW for 8-10 hours. Stir the corn flour and lemon juice together in a small bowl, then gently stir this in with the curry, adding salt to taste. Turn the cooker onto HIGH, (stir in the beans/peas if using) and cook for 30 minutes. Serves 4-6

Nelsons Beef Casserole
500g steak
¼ cup flour
salt
freshly ground black pepper
1 onion
355ml can beer
2 Tbsp brown sugar
1 beef stock cube.
Trim fat from meat & cut into cubes, mix salt pepper & flour together in a plastic bag, add meat and toss to coat. Place in casserole dish along with chopped onion, pour over beer and mix in beef cube and brown sugar. Cover and cook 180c for 1 1/2hr until meat is tender. Now I do it the same for the slow cooker but have it on low for about 5-6hrs and it is to die for. Enjoy !

Steak and Kidney
Put the steak (I use blade) and kidney in flour and brown it before I put it in a warm slow cooker.
Then I add two sliced onions
Large chunks of carrots (not too small or they go to mush).
For the liquid I usually add a couple of beef Oxos in 1 cup water, or some red wine to taste, and some mushroom soy or just plain soy will do.
Put it on LOW and leave it for about 7-8 hours.

Potato and Steak
500g Stewing steak
1 x can of condensed tomato soup
1 x can of crushed pineapple
Whatever veges you want (carrot, celery etc) stir together and cook on low all day.about lunch time, put smallish potatoes around the edge of the Slow cooker and leave ‘til dinner time.

spoeklet, Sep 7, 6:34am
Yum! Thanks for that. I think I will try the Malay curry tomorrow and hte rest next week. i have a question though - I always thought you couldn't preheat the slow cooker empty, because the ceramic dish would crack. Do you heat it first and then put the ceramic dish (and contents) in! Thanks!

twocorks, Sep 7, 7:49am
Place cut up meat into slow cooker, add a packet of maggi onion soup, mix coating the meat, 1 sliced onion, a little salt and add Gingerale .don't cover the meat with it, cook on high about 6-7 hours.

245sam, Sep 4, 10:16am
spoeklet, that is what I do.I put the actual crock-pot on to heat on HIGH while I prepare and place the food to be cooked in the ceramic dish, then I put the whole lot into the heated crock-pot unit, lid on, and adjust the cooking setting if necessary - I do not however heat any of the liquid that I add to the foode.g.some recipes/books say to heat the liquid for cooking corned silverside and I don't, mainly because I usually use ginger ale so in that case I put everything except the liquid into the dish, place the dish into the crock-pot and pour in the whole bottle of ginger ale - it makes the dish lighter to lift (and less likely to spill) if done that way.:-))

nik12, Sep 4, 11:19am
My stew.
Chop up your meat how you like it.
Throw in crock pot with an onion or two (depending on size and how much you like onions)
Sprinkle with 3heaped T flour and stir through. yes it will go glugy but that's fine.
An oxo cube, or T beef stock
Good squirt of Wister sauce (sorry too late for me to spell that right)
Squirt of soy sauce
Good heaped desert spoon of tomato relish
Salt and pepper
Either frozen mixed vege, until the match looks about right, or a few carrots sliced and frozen peas.
Put on low from breakfast, or high from lunch.
If it's not thick enough before tea time, mix a couple of T of cornflour with just enough water to make it pourable and put that in.

jude343, Sep 5, 4:51am
gravy beef! I always thought it was pet food, however a friend cooks it often it just has to be cooked longer and lower heat.yum! it sure suprised me.
I would use any of the above recipes and perhaps a cheap marinade that has baking soda included, leave over night & cook

purplegoanna, Sep 5, 7:39am
yip blade steak or gravy beef, chop into smallish diced squares, add to crockpot with 2 finely sliced onions, 1 can drained canneloni beans, 1 cad drained chickpeas, 1/2 can coconut milk and 1can water (or if you need more make it just enough to cover meat! and then for flavour add 1 beef oxo cube and 1 packet or either Asian Home Gourmet Korma OR Rogan Josh.the longer it takes the betta.perfect on rice.

rosel4, Sep 5, 3:49pm
STEAK & PINEAPPLE CASEROLE. easy

into slow cooker:

800-900g blade/chuck/stewing steak cut into 3cm (1") cubes

Cover with a small tin of pineapple pieces and a small tin of tomato soup.

Cook on low all day or a couple of hours on high until meat tender.

Friend sent an awesome site. http://www.50plusfriends.com/cookbook/crockpot/index-5b.html

tarshlove, Sep 7, 2:41am
I'd make a beef stroganoff with it

juli55, Sep 7, 3:31am
Easy Stew
Cut up some cheap steak into cubes enough for your family
Add a chopped onion
Sliced carrot rings
1 or 2 packets of Continental gravy mix made up.
Leave for 8 hours on low. Tastes good and really easy to make.

Left-over Roast Beef
Put it in slow cooker with heaps of veges, gravy, and a pack of Maggi lasagne mix!
Cook on low for most of the day, then added some cooked pasta to it at the end. YUM!

Meatballs in Sundried Tomato Sauce:
Serves 5 to 6 cook on low/auto for 6 -7 hrs or high 3-4 hrs.
700g extra lean mince
1 cup fresh breadcrumbs
2 eggs beaten
3 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
¼ tsp cayenne pepper
2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
1 Tbsp dark soy sauce.
For the sauce
¼ cup finely chopped sundried tomatoes in oil well drained
1¼ cup good quality beef stock
¼ c tomato paste
1 Tbsp corn flour
1 Tbsp water.
In a bowl combine all the ingredients for the meatballs, then make into balls about the size of golf balls.
Put into the slow cooker in two layers. Combine the sundried tomatoes, beef stock and tomato paste and pour over the meatballs. Cover and cook. 30 mins prior to serving turn the control to high, stir the corn flour into the water then stir in to the sauce to thicken it. Cover again and cook on high for the final 30 mins till the sauce has thickened. (you can add more corn flour/water just before serving to thicken more if needed)

Malay Beef Curry
1-1.2 kg gravy beef cubed
2 Tbsp ground coriander
1 Tbsp ground cumin
1-2 tsp chilli powder
2 tsps Chinese Five Spice powder
1 tsp turmeric
3 Tbsp canola oil
1 medium onion, quartered and sliced
4 cardamom pods, squashed
1 x 5cm cinnamon stick
1 whole star anise 'flower'
6 cloves
4 medium potatoes, cubed
3/4 cup coconut cream
1 cup boiling water
2 Tbsp corn flour
2-3 Tbsp lemon juice
1-2 tsps salt
1 cup frozen green beans or peas, optional.
Turn the slow cooker on to HIGH to preheat. Place cubed meat in a bowl. Measure in the first 5 spices and toss everything together so the meat is evenly coated with the spice mixture. Heat half the oil in a large fry pan. add the onion and cook until soft, then add half the meat mixture. Cook, stirring frequently, for about 5 minutes until the meat is lightly browned, then transfer to the slow cooker. Heat the remaining oil and brown the rest of the meat before adding to the slow cooker. Add the whole spices, potatoes, coconut cream and water to the cooker, stir to combine, then put on the lid and cook on LOW for 8-10 hours. Stir the corn flour and lemon juice together in a small bowl, then gently stir this in with the curry, adding salt to taste. Turn the cooker onto HIGH, (stir in the beans/peas if using) and cook for 30 minutes. Serves 4-6

Nelsons Beef Casserole
500g steak
¼ cup flour
salt
freshly ground black pepper
1 onion
355ml can beer
2 Tbsp brown sugar
1 beef stock cube.
Trim fat from meat & cut into cubes, mix salt pepper & flour together in a plastic bag, add meat and toss to coat. Place in casserole dish along with chopped onion, pour over beer and mix in beef cube and brown sugar. Cover and cook 180c for 1 1/2hr until meat is tender. Now I do it the same for the slow cooker but have it on low for about 5-6hrs and it is to die for. Enjoy !

Steak and Kidney
Put the steak (I use blade) and kidney in flour and brown it before I put it in a warm slow cooker.
Then I add two sliced onions
Large chunks of carrots (not too small or they go to mush).
For the liquid I usually add a couple of beef Oxos in 1 cup water, or some red wine to taste, and some mushroom soy or just plain soy will do.
Put it on LOW and leave it for about 7-8 hours.

Potato and Steak
500g Stewing steak
1 x can of condensed tomato soup
1 x can of crushed pineapple
Whatever veges you want (carrot, celery etc) stir together and cook on low all day.about lunch time, put smallish potatoes around the edge of the Slow cooker and leave ‘til dinner time.

spoeklet, Sep 7, 6:34am
Yum! Thanks for that. I think I will try the Malay curry tomorrow and hte rest next week. i have a question though - I always thought you couldn't preheat the slow cooker empty, because the ceramic dish would crack. Do you heat it first and then put the ceramic dish (and contents) in! Thanks!

twocorks, Sep 7, 7:49am
Place cut up meat into slow cooker, add a packet of maggi onion soup, mix coating the meat, 1 sliced onion, a little salt and add Gingerale .don't cover the meat with it, cook on high about 6-7 hours.