Preparing club sandwiches the day before.

gysmo1, Sep 5, 10:52pm
This sunday is my daughters 5th birthday party and we will be having at a local farm park. We will be leaving about 10am, so I am wanting to prepare as much as possible on Saturday. Just after advice regarding preparing a fairly large amount of club sandwiches on Saturday evening. Im going to be seriously short on fridge space. Would they stay fresh on the bench overnight, covered with gladwrap, or is it better to cover with damp teatowels! Im a little worried about the tomato making them soggy. Any tips or hints! I was going to do 3 fillings (catering for adults and the kiddies)
GRATED CARROT&CHEESE MAYO/HAM/TOMATO
EGG/MAYO/HAM/CUCUMBER/LETTUCE
LUNCHEON/CHEESE/RELISH
MARMITE/CHEESE/LETTUCE

Ideally I would love to make them all up Sat (early evening) all on platters ready to pop into car Sun morning

Any thoughts or ideas greatly appreciated

lodgelocum, Sep 5, 11:21pm
Hi, I personally would never make club sandwiches the day before, and would never leave meats, cheeses etc out all night.Can you get up earlier and manage to make them in the morning.I really think you would feel better yourself knowing they were freshly made on the day.Get all your fillings ready the night before and that will save you a large amount of time the next day, even doing the eggs and mayo would be ok doing Sat night.Hope it all goes well on the day.

pickles7, Sep 5, 11:44pm
same here, make them on the day. Cut the amount down, maybe cheerios for the kids, my kids would take a bite from a club sandwich and move onto something else, at that age. Cook the cheerios in the morning, they will be fine.

cookessentials, Sep 6, 12:10am
Eight hours ahead on these ones I make is perfectly fine. keep them tightly wrapped in the fridge.

Creamy Chicken And Almond Sandwiches.

850g chicken breast fillets
300g trimmed celery, sliced thinly
salt
24 slices white sandwich bread
40g toasted flaked almonds

Add the chicken to a large shallow pan of simmering water; simmer gently, uncovered, for about 15 minutes or until just cooked through. Remove the chicken from the pan, cool.

Thinly slice the chicken and chop finely, then place in a large bowl with the mayonnaise, celery and salt to taste, stir until combined.

Divide the chicken mixture among 12 bread slices; sprinkle with the almonds then top with the remaining bread slices.

Using an electric or serrated knife, remove and discard the crusts from the bread, then cut each sandwich into three fingers.

For the mayonnaise, blend or process the egg yolks, juice, salt and mustard until smooth. Add oil gradually in a thin stream while the motor is operating; blend until thick

Mayonnaise
2 egg yolks
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
250ml olive oil

NOTE: This recipe makes 36 sandwiches and can be made eight hours ahead; store sandwiches tightly wrapped in the refrigerator.

gysmo1, Sep 6, 12:34am
Thanks guys - just trying to organise timings of preparation of all the party food. I'm happy with diff fillings, as I'm catering to tastes of both the kids and the adults. Lots to get ready and transport (and travel time) that morning. Might prepare club sandwiches that night, Store in friends fridge overnight (my fridge will be chocka blocka) and set to go early Sunday. And cookessentials, that filling sounds devine! Printing off for future reference :) Thank you

renee, Oct 19, 11:50pm
iam going to make a couple club sandwhiches tonight and place in fridge wrapped and see how they go as a trial run in the morning. have also heard that placing a damp cloth over them in fridge keeps them soft for morning,