Frosting / Icing??? Help please...

ajay12, Mar 23, 3:26am
Im making a 5 cake for our daughters birthday. Im confused with regards to the icing. The recipe says to ice it with 'frosting' which I believe is different to my typical icing as it looks really smooth and almost shiny? ? Can someone give me an idea on how to make this? TIA.

montyrocks, Mar 23, 3:31am
Is frosting more like butter icing?

ajay12, Mar 23, 3:46am
Im beginning to think it is after looking on different websites. For some reason I was thinking it was different.

andrea1978, Mar 23, 6:12am
for cupcakes i use vienna cream icing. Easy enough to make and can be piped on. Is that what you're after?

ajay12, Mar 23, 7:30am
andrea (great name) that sounds great, could I please have a recipe for that? much appreciated.

splitty, Mar 23, 8:03am
They are different, frosting is made with a sugar syrup and egg whites and has a marshmallowy(sp? if it is even a word) consistency and butter icing has icing sugar and butter with either milk or water added.

Vienna Cream

125g Butter
1 1/2 Cups icing sugar
2 Tablespoons Milk

Have butter and milk at room temp, place butter in a bowl and beat it until it is as white as possible, gradually add about half the sifted icing sugar, beating constantly, add milk gradually, then gradually beat in the remaining icing sugar. it should be smooth and easy to spread.

I have a frosting recipe from a childrens birthday cake book but it is quite long but if you want me to scan it and email it to you I can, but the vienna cream is pretty much the same as buttercream icing. It really depends on what you are planning on doing with the icing, butter icing is pretty versatile

poppy62, Mar 23, 8:36am
Frosting is a soft easily pliable icing - the buttercream ones are the easiest ones to spread on the cake. The recipie above for Vienna cream is perfect for an all over icing.

ajay12, Mar 23, 8:41am
Thanks, i will go with the vienna cream. Appreciate the advice.

chchliz, Jul 30, 10:48pm
Just made this Vienna cream recipe, very good - nice and easy to ice the cupcakes for my daughter's party. More than enough for 2 dozen mini cupcakes, Thanks for the recipe! !

trading_gibsons, Jul 30, 11:06pm
I've never tried this, but here goes:
American Frosting

1 cup sugar
2/3 cup water
pinch of cream of tartar
1 egg white

Put sugar into saucepan with water stir over low heat until the sugar is dissolved. bring to the boil & heat to 238degrees f, or until a small amount dropped in a saucer of cold water forms a ball. Remove from heat, add the cream of tartar & beat lightly, until the syrup is just cloudy. pour on to the4 stiffly beaten egg white, whisking all the time, and continue whisking until the mixture thickens & loses its shiny look. Use at once

cap, Dec 11, 6:51pm
I always decorate my kids' birthday cakes with Vienna cream. They did got a birthday party once where the cake was iced with a shiny white icing kind of like raw pavlova mix and it looked great and tasted nice but boy it was messy and sticky!