Can I buy fresh curry leaves in New Zealand!

jen232, Sep 3, 10:23am
And if so where, please!I've found a nice recipe and want to try it.TIA.

cookessentials, Sep 3, 10:37am
x1

cookessentials, Sep 3, 10:47am

jen232, Sep 3, 10:53am
x1
Any in Hamilton!

davidt4, Sep 3, 10:49pm
The curry plant depicted here is not the one that produces curry leaves.It has a faint curry-like smell but is of no culinary value.

cookessentials, Sep 4, 3:29am
CURRY PLANT
(Helechrysum Angustifolium, Perennial)

Pick leaf at anytime and add sprig to soups, stews and steamed vegetables, rice dishes and pickles for a mild curry flavour. Remove sprig before serving. Tiny mustard-yellow clusters of flowers with sweet mild curry scent. dry flower petals to add colour to potpourri or whole for dry flower arrangements.
Growing tips:Full sun, well-drainedParts Used:Leaves
Used for:CulinaryHeight: 45cmWidth: 30cm

buzzy110, Sep 4, 3:48am
Does Hamilton have regular weekend markets that also sell fruit and vegetables like the Avondale Flea Market and Otara Markets in Auckland! These places always have a vendor or two selling curry leaves.

On the other hand, they are remarkably easy plants to grow. Just make sure you get the proper plant.

davidt4, Sep 4, 3:58am
These are curry leaves.

uli, Sep 4, 5:44am
We grow a few small trees ourselves and there is a guy at our local market who sells them fresh every Saturday. If you live in Auckland try the Avondale market. They sell them there too.

The grey shrub sold as "curry plant" has been the bane of my life when I still sold edible plants. It is not even really edible, however someone started the myth and it has been going for many decades in english speaking countries.

Originally the word "herb" was used in a much wider context - not only culinary herbs, some were used to strewing the floors, others to scent linen etc, that is how that "curry" bush became known as a "herb" and people thought it is edible.

For cooking purposes do use the proper curry leaf from Asia. They grow on a tree.

jen232, Sep 4, 6:55am
x1
Thanks everyone for the information.Yes Hamilton does have a farmers' market on a Saturday.I also think I will try to grow the (proper) plant.

cookessentials, Sep 4, 6:58am
as already mentioned!

skye7, Sep 4, 7:26am
Some international food shops sell them also.

jayimu, Sep 4, 9:20am
x1
Have you checked out your local supermarket! I used to be able to get them at New World in Dunedin.

kcc55a, Sep 4, 9:31am
Yes most supermarkets sell them. probably not as "fresh" as a market but good enough for cooking.

purplegoanna, Sep 4, 10:10am
thats the fake one, its looses all flavour when cooked.curry leaf plant - Murraya Koenigiiis the correct one for cooking.

marcs, Sep 4, 1:02pm
Look up Moshims in Hamilton. They will have some

jen232, Sep 5, 4:07am
Thanks again everyone.

cheeseepoof, Sep 5, 5:46am
pretty sure i have seen them here
Discount House
07-846 2480
63/A Kent St Hamilton 3204

sharma07, Sep 5, 5:47am
I've seen them at the vege shop on bader st in melville

nikkinic, Sep 5, 8:58am
Saw some today at the Veg shop on Heaphy Terrace :)

cookessentials, Sep 6, 1:52am
Jen, if you want a tree, here is the info that may be of help
http://www.tradewindsfruit.com/curry.htm

cookessentials, Sep 6, 1:56am
This is the variety of tree/bush that you want jen
Murraya koenigii

davidt4, Sep 6, 2:43am
As mentioned by purplegoanna earlier.