Seasoning old cast iron pans.

bubbles46, Sep 2, 8:24pm
Morning all, I have recently been given two old cast iron pans, one is a grill pan with a wooden handle the other is a plan round fry pan. Both of them are not in very good condition :(There is a couple small spots of rust on the grill one and both are in need of a good clean and re-seasoning.My question is what's the best way to clean them up and re-season them! Many thanks.

seaturtle, Sep 2, 8:39pm
Give them a good wash in hot soapy water dry then coat with oil. put the cast iron pans in the oven and heat to 200deg then turn the oven off and take them out when they are cool. The oil seems to create a coating on the pans. When you use the pans just rinse them off with hot water and dry them well.Detergent seems to strip the coating and you start to get rust spots If this happens just re season. I would do mine once or twice a year

bubbles46, Sep 2, 9:11pm
Thanks for that, the grill pan has a wooden handle so I can't put that one in the oven do I just heat it on the stove top!

sharronk1, Sep 2, 9:14pm
you can usually unscrew the handles but if not do it on the stove top, just dont burn it. After every wash i reheat mine to dry them and smear them with oil, on using i just give them a quick rinse to get rid of any dust they might have collected and use as normal. I love my old cast irons

bubbles46, Sep 2, 9:18pm
Awesome thanks for that, the person I got them off were actually going to bliff them out as the were re-locationing and said "these pans are really old and no good" so I saved them :)

bubbles46, Sep 2, 9:21pm
p.s just had a look and the wooden handle does come off :)

beaker59, Sep 2, 11:15pm
If they are old probably don't need too much seasoning though I would wire brush the rust spots or you can use hot water and a steelo pad (not the soapy ones) wipe with cooking oil heat up til smoking on the element and then wash again in hot water then just start using them. The pans will be awesome they never wear out or get too bad you can steel wool them or wirebrush or even hit them with an electric wire brush and they will come up like new.

muddler, Sep 2, 11:25pm
yup all the above. you wont turn back from cast iron. And you will get super strong wrists (or carpel tunnel). they take a bit before they are ruined, just make sure you wash them when theyre hot and dont leave them to sit with water in them. I wonder how much iron we get from using them!