Making pastry

tarshlove, Aug 19, 2:20am
So made Edmonds puff pastry today to make a bacon and egg pie. this come out yummy as however was NOT fluffy.
Please excuse my ignorance but is puff pastry not flaky pastry!

davidt4, Aug 19, 2:28am
Puff pastry is similar to flaky pastry but it has many more layers and is more delicate.Neither of them are supposed to be fluffy though, more crisp and brittle.

tarshlove, Aug 19, 2:33am
Which is better for bacon and egg pie!

davidt4, Aug 19, 2:37am
Puff pastry made with butter.The other pre-made ones are horrible.

tarshlove, Aug 19, 2:58am
lol thanks :)

cookessentials, Aug 19, 3:08am
Flakey pastry is made by adding your butter, in pieces and the pastry then folded over the top and rolled, then repeated.this gives you the flakey layers between. Puff pastry is made by adding your butter all at once which spreads it evenly throughout the pastry and it puffs up in the areas where the butter has dispersed. It is much quicker to make than the flakey pastry.

free-h-oldies, Aug 21, 2:34am
Thankyou cooks, I made pastry last week from Allison Holsts book and my husband raved over it so I think from now on I may just make my own. Thanks for explaining the difference between puff and flakey. PS still havent managed to buy a mini icecream scoop.

cookessentials, Aug 21, 7:50am
I will list some when they arrive. The other great thing is a scoop and realease cookie dropper, they are from the USa. Dont have any at the moment. Home made pastry is always much nicer, athough, I do keep a sweet short and a flakey in the freezer.

free-h-oldies, Aug 21, 9:07am
cooks It sounds like it was a scoop and realease cookie dropper I saw on the cooking tv. Also when you list them on here under what heading would they be!

cookessentials, Aug 21, 10:04am
IfI remember correctly, under cutlery and utensils and Scoop & Release Cookie Dropper. I am placing an order for various items, including those soon. I will check the shop and see if I still have one first and come back to you tomorrow. They basically are like a spoon and when you spqueeze the top part of the handle, a little scoop pushes the mixture off the spoon.

cookessentials, Aug 21, 10:10pm
I do have one which I shall list along with the ice-cream scoop type also.

tarshlove, Aug 21, 10:43pm
Morning, do you have the recipe you used so I could give it a try! :o)

free-h-oldies, Aug 22, 5:33am
tarsh, this is what I used Alison Holst Quick Flakey Pastry,This is a n easy pastry which is flakier and richer than short pastry.for 1 thinly rolled double crust 20cm pie.11/4 cups flour 1 tspbaking powder 125g cold butter about 1/2 cup milk 1 tsp wine vinegar.mix the flour and baking powder. Grate butter or cut into 25 small cubes, and rub or cut into the flour, by hand or food processor(Pieces of butter should be visible when pastry is rolled out) Mix liquids, and add slowly to flour mixtureuntill it forms afairly stiff dough>>Roll out thinly and use as required.

free-h-oldies, Aug 22, 8:26am
cooks I saw the biscuit scoop listed, it is not the one I had in mind thanks I will keep looking up your auctions

tarshlove, Aug 23, 5:07am
Thanks heaps Free-h-oldies ill give this a go
:o)

darlingmole, Aug 23, 7:47am
you could always cheat and buy a wee chub of savoury pastry from the supermarket . I mostly do and always get good review from those who eat my quiche~!

free-h-oldies, Aug 23, 9:44am
I do too but this one I make is good for when there is none in the freezer.

nik12, Aug 23, 11:37am
I saw that too. thought it must have been listed for you lol. Off to see if it's still there :-).

splitty, Aug 24, 8:46am
This is my favourite pastry recipe, I use it for everything; pies, tarts, galettes, even thin crust pizza lol. it is really yummy

free-h-oldies, Aug 25, 6:58am
splitty, glad you use it for everything else I am forever making apple pies for my grandson so that will save me having to have it in the freezer, I have only recently stumbled on this recipe.

ayglepaygle, Aug 25, 7:03am
I use that recipe too - great pastry!