After a Muesli Bar slice for the lunch-boxes

lisha2, Aug 18, 10:17pm
I have tried some with rolled oats, but they seem to turn out to crunchie and when I cut it to peices they just crumble.Does anyone have any good mueslibar recipes.Sick of buying them from the supermarket - too expensive

sarahb5, Aug 18, 10:39pm
I would stay away from muesli bars in lunch boxes, full stop - because whatever they use to make them stick together (honey, syrup, glucose)either home made or shop bought, stays on their teeth and is not washed away during the day with saliva.There are better alternatives such as muffins, cake, etc. which are just as sweet and yummy but less sticky.

meetee, Aug 18, 10:52pm
Muesli bars
100gm butter
1/2 cup peanut butter
1/2 cup honey
3/4 cup brown sugar
Boil gently for a few minutes.
Add: 1 tsp vanilla essence
1 cup rice bubbles
1 1/2 cup mixture of whatever you like- cranberries, raisins, chopped apricots, chopped nuts, sesame seeds, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, chocolate buttons, dehydrated fruit, etc.
3 cups rolled oats and 1 cup coconut which have been toasted in oven till lightly browned.
Mix well and press into greased tin. Cut while warm.
I have made these for years and the kids love them. The original recipe says to add cinnamon but that is something we don't like.
If you are worried about sticky residue on teeth, add an apple, or I understand, cheese is good for teeth.

kinna54, Aug 19, 2:30am
I still like the old Edmonds chinese chews. Not exactly a muesli bar, but tasty and filling.

cookessentials, Aug 19, 3:11am
Meusli Slice 1/2 cup untoasted meusli;1/2 cup s.r flour;1/4 cup rolled oats;1/4 cup coconut;125g dried apricots;1/2 cup brown sugar firmly packed;185g butter;2 tbsp golden syrup;2 eggs. Mix meusli,sifted flour,oats,coconut,chopped apricots and sugar in a bowl.Melt butter & golden syrup over low heat,pour into meusli mixture.Spread into lightly greased 28x18cm lamington tin.Cook mod oven for 30 mins.Cool in tin before slicing.

brianmac (133 )3:17 pm, Sat 8 Jul #5 from the biscuits and slices thread.

theanimal1, Aug 19, 5:13am
Apricot Muesli Bar

Here’s a cost effective, nut free, version of the essential lunchbox snack. These muesli bars can last up to 4-5 days in an air tight container and they are fantastic to freeze, simple wrap them individually so you can defrost them when you need them.

Ingredients

* 180g butter
* 1/2 cup sugar
* 2 cups rolled oats
* 1 cup dried apricots – chopped
* 1/2 cup desiccated coconut
* 1/2 cup plain flour
* 1/3 cup pumpkin seeds
* 1/3 cup sunflower seeds

Instructions

1. Preheat oven to 180C, lightly grease and line an 18 × 28cm slice pan, leaving some overhang of baking paper on each side.
2. Place butter and sugar into a small saucepan and stir over a low to medium heat until butter has melted and the sugar has dissolved, set aside to cool slightly.
3. In a large bowl, mix oats, apricots, flour, coconut, pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds
4. Make a well in the center of the dry mix and add the cooled butter mixture, egg and vanilla. Stir until well combined.
5. Spread evenly into the prepared tray and press down firmly, bake for 25-30mins or until golden brown. Then allow to cool and slice into fingers

theanimal1, Aug 19, 5:14am
BIRDSEED BAR

- 1c sesame seeds. 1c sunflower seeds,1c coconut, 1 c chopped nuts- ( i take out some nuts and add pumpkin seeds) roast all these till nicly browned in the oven, then add 1c sutanas , in a pot put 100g butter 1/4c honey , 1/2c sugar, melt together and mix into dry ingre , press into a tray and cut when cooled

theanimal1, Aug 19, 5:15am
Honey Maple Energy Bars

Ingredients

125g butter or margarine
1/2 cup Chelsea Organic Raw Sugar or Chelsea Raw Sugar
3 Tbsp Chelsea Honey Maple or Maple Flavoured Syrup
2 1/4 cups rolled oats
1/4 cup sunflower seeds
1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
1/4 cup coconut threads
1/4 cup craisins
Method

Preheat oven to 180°C or 170°C fan bake. Grease and line with baking paper a 20cm x 30cm tin.
In a large saucepan add butteror margarine, sugar and syrup and gently bring to the boil,
stirring until sugar is dissolved.
Remove from heat and add remaining ingredients, stirring until combined.
Press mixture firmly into tin and bake for approx. 30 minutes or until golden brown. Cool in the tin, then remove and cut into bars when cold.
Makes 14 bars.

The slow release energy from the seeds and oats make these great for kids lunchboxes

lodgelocum, Aug 21, 12:28am
I make the recipe from Chelsea Sugar's website, but add more dried fruit than they say.Very nice and even the grown ups like them.

manda75, Aug 21, 1:52am
Easy Fruity Malt Slice

Ingredients:
250G Butter
1 packed Malt Biscuits Crushed
1Can Sweetened Condensed milk
1Cup Rolled Oats
1Cup Coconut
1Cup Pumpkin Seeds
1Cup Craisins
1Cup Chopped Dates
1Cup Chopped Apricots
1Cup Sultanas
1Cup Choc Bits

Method
Melt Butter and Condensed Milk
Mix all dry ingredients together then add butter and condensed milk, Mix well and put into a greased tin slice
Put into fridge overnight

natalie9, Aug 21, 10:55am
theanimal1 - you mention egg and vanilla in your instructions but not ingredients. Can I assume 1 egg and 1 tsp vanilla! Just what I'm looking for for lunchboxes. Thanks.