***Cheap dessert for 40 seniors***

Page 2 / 2
standard, Mar 23, 4:11am
They are not at all gaga uli and buzzy110, I was simply asking for suggestions in case there was something that we hadn't thought of.
Thanks to everyone else for their very helpful suggestions, it is appreciated.
We must be doing something right if we have at least 40 come twice a month for the meal. ? ? ?

buzzy110, Mar 23, 4:27am
I'm so sorry you were offended by the suggestion to ask the recipients of your beneficence. In future I'll stay away from your threads standard.

Sheesh. I thought that asking people who are not gaga what THEY wanted was the most sensible solution I have read. Even ellihen suggested they weren't all toothless mush eaters.

st_allie, Mar 23, 4:28am
This really appeals to me however my plants are on their last legs and I turned it all into relish this year. I see that zucchinis are back up to 3. 99 a kilo at the supermarket again. If you have the recipe somewhere, I'd love to have it for the next glut of zucchinis.

:)

mvo, Mar 23, 5:08am
Sherry Chocolate Log
We love this one in our family, very retro, very rich, I am sure you could multiply appropriately for 40 people - this feeds about 8-10 - you only need thin slices...

Ingredients
• 300 mls full cream
• 2-3 teaspoons sugar, or to taste
• a few drops vanilla essence
• about ¼ to ⅓ cup medium sherry
• 2 packets Griffins chocolate chip biscuits
• 4 squares of very dark chocolate, finely grated
Method
1. Put cream into a deep bowl and add the sugar and vanilla essence.
2. Whip cream until quite thick, but don’t make butter!
3. Dip each biscuit in the sherry – dunk them well, but don’t over-soak. Shake off excess.
4. On a plate, sandwich biscuits together with the cream – about 2 tablespoons between each biscuit – to form a log.
5. Line biscuits against side and on place on top as well – use one packet and about ⅓ of the second packet.
6. Cover the log with the remaining cream.
7. Sprinkle with grated chocolate.
8. Refrigerate for about 8 hours.
9. Serve in slices.

uli, Mar 23, 5:43am
I cannot recall saying anything about gaga - to the contrary I said that we used to have a board where people could put suggestions on. If you do not think this is a helpful contribution - then so be it. However I am a bit surprised about your unusual reaction.

karenz, Mar 23, 5:54am
I would also go with the bread and butter pudding. Also chocolate chip biscuits (I think the budget ones from Pak n Save are the nicest ones) made into logs with whipped cream in the middle and on top and put into the fridge overnight. You could probably do this with gingernuts too. Summer pudding, which is essentially bread and fruit is great too and very cheap - I suggest googling it.

jubellsrose, Mar 23, 6:35am
my 90+yr old Aunty, loves mud cake. What about a little square and whipped cream or just the cake.

245sam, Mar 23, 7:18am
standard, I have an 81 year old Mum who like most, if not all, of the elderly folk that we know loves desserts so most of the above suggestions would, I'm sure, be much appreciated however I suggest that the inclusion of alcohol in any of the food, particularly uncooked desserts, be kept to an absolute minimum, if used at all, as it can and does interfere with some medications and in some cases even a small quantity of alcohol can have adverse effects on any pre-exisiting conditions that any of your guests may have.

Hope it goes well. :-))

cottagerose, Mar 23, 7:24am
stewed apple with a sponge topping was an all time favourite with my Mum and Dad

standard, Mar 23, 8:53am
Thanks 245sam, we never put any sort of alcohol in our desserts for that very reason!

hezwez, Mar 23, 9:01am
Indeed. When my then teenaged daughter was working after school at a resthome she found some dentures in a half cup of tea. She returned to the dining room and held them aloft, and all the seniors responded by groping around in their mouths to see if they were missing any... .

brish, Mar 23, 9:02am
Sour lemon cake with yoghurt is on the menu this week for our oldies.

duckmoon, Mar 23, 10:10am
we did cake and slice for the dessert at our Over-60's lunch...

duckmoon, Mar 23, 10:13am
Oh my!

rainrain1, Mar 23, 8:06pm
Oh what a shame about the alcohol, I was going to say slosh it in, and make a delicious trifle :-)

standard, Mar 24, 7:57pm
THANKS for all your replies, We've got some great new idea's.

artemis, Dec 2, 4:06pm
Make your own ice cream sundaes - dish of icecream each and bowls of various toppings and / or sauces on the table. Toppings can be fruit, choc chips, wafers, sprinkes ... Banana split - same as above for toppings.