Keeping sliced Onions

rusty-bones, Aug 11, 11:04am
in the fridge overnight. Is this ok and they wont brown or go funny. We have a fundraiser sausage sizzle to do on Monday night and I wont be able to prepare the onions on that day so was going to do them the night before! I will keep them in a container.

hott-mama, Aug 11, 11:07am
they should be fine .

we often do food prep for dinner the following night and have onions sliced or diced, ready to go the next day .

be warned though .it does tend to stink out your fridge!

nauru, Aug 11, 11:08am
Put them in a zip lock bag

mwood, Aug 11, 11:41am
why even put them in the fridge overnight ! you risk tainting the other food - not the other way around LOL

usualsuspect, Aug 11, 11:51am
i read somewhere recently that you souldnt keep cut onions cause they pick up all the bacteria that is/maybe around and are a huge source of people picking up bugs .i didnt know that .apparently they say if someone is ill then you should put a cut onion in the room and it will draw all the bad stuff into itself and you will see that it turns black in a very short time.i havent tried it but i will .

rusty-bones, Aug 11, 1:01pm
Yes I got that email a while ago it was a very interesting read. Thanks guys.

lynja, Aug 11, 7:13pm
that email was a hoax. sounded quite believable though didnt it.

davidt4, Aug 11, 8:55pm
As soon as an onion is cut the cut surfaces start to oxidise.The flavour changes and becomes sulphurous and rank.Some people don't mind this, and it's very common for the onions at a sausage sizzle to be oxidised.

As for story aboutonions picking up bacteria and turning black - that's a hoax.

elliehen, Aug 11, 10:57pm
Leave a cut onion for too long and it smells like very bad body odour.'rank' is the word!

pickles7, Aug 12, 12:03am
The cause of many food poisonings, to be sure.
Often people will look outside there home, when they get sick, next time, think "onions" , and, where you ate them.

malcovy, Aug 12, 2:20am
The one and only time I have had food poisoning was from sliced onions.My Mother was in the catering business and she had told me always be careful of sliced onions left out in a warm environment ie takeaway bar.

wildflower, Aug 12, 4:18am
I often peel an onion the day before and leave in the fridge as it makes it easier to dice without all the crying.Always seem to keep just fine, looks the same, just not as strong.

kinna54, Aug 12, 8:06am
Be very careful . I wouldn't leave them too long as onions emit a gas, if left over too long a period and can cause poisioning. When I was catering it was a no no to keep sliced onions too long, for that reason. It is also worse if onions are cut by a food processor, as this tends to bruise the onion, and it doesn't keep the same.I would prep just enough to get the barbie underway and then prep as you go. If you really have no other choice store them in a vaccuum bag,inside an ice cream container, or a good tight sealed container (which I would throw out afterwards as you never get the smell out) they will certainly stink out your fridge and taint everything else in there.surely a volunteer could arrive slightly earlier and prep onion as you go!

lilly105, Aug 12, 8:12am
I have always been told not to store cut onions as they turn poisonous after a while. Be like me and buy small onions for small meals (sammies) and big ones for dinners :)

davidt4, Aug 12, 10:47pm

pickles7, Aug 13, 12:26am
It almost puts me off sausage sizzles. It is often bad enough when the sausages are not being cooked, just warmed. It won't be long and the sausage sizzles will be outlawed. Some folk can eat anything and won't get sick. Others just, die.! Have you seen the sausages sitting out in the sun, along with the onions. They would have been in the shade, but then the sun moves.
I would not agree with,.davidt4. link.

karlachikkidy, Aug 14, 2:56am
you can buy sliced onions from the mad butcher in the freezer section so why not freeze them!

karlymouse, Aug 14, 3:30am
Please don't par boil them as one horrible sausage sizzle I saw . yeuchhhh