Fondant- tips and tricks :)

sav271007, Aug 7, 3:11am
I have just decorated my first fondant cake for practice and there are a few things i need to scrub up on:

After i smoothed the fondant out on the cake it looked quite bumpy, is that because the fondant was rolled too thin!

I did zebra stripes on a white cake but when i wet the stripes to stick on, the black went all over the white cake, how could i avoid this! maybe just being super delicate!

also what knife is recommended to cut fondant shape!

and any other tips that are good too know

Thanks so much in advance :)

lx4000, Aug 7, 4:32am

lx4000, Aug 7, 4:34am

chicco2, Aug 7, 5:05am
Tip your cake upside down and ice the base. If still bumpy, learn how to line your tin with baking paper, so it has no creases. Apply a second layer of fondant with a little water spread with damp hands, between the layers.
To eliminate the black from bleeding, allow the white to dry for a few hours, and only use a tiny bit of water or glue to attach your black, it will stick because its damp on its own.

lizab, Aug 7, 5:13am
My mum does cake decorating and always taught me that when you use water to make something stick to your icing, always use the tiniest amount of 'cooled boiled water' from the jug and use a little paintbrush. I have no idea why, but I always do it now!

Also, if you're icing a rich fruit cake, which, once cooked and cooled, does leave little dimples or holes where the fruit has shrunk, stuff tiny rolled up bits of fondant or marzipan in the holes before you cover the whole cake.

sav271007, Aug 7, 5:22am
Chicco2- the tin was lined with baking paper but it was the top that was quite bumpy, i might try doing it upside down or another layer of fondant thanks heaps.

thanks lx4000 going to have a look now :)

lizab i was using watered down jam with my finger so need to buy myself a small paintbrush lol thanks

lx4000, Aug 7, 6:05am
Chicco2 thats a point. I always ice the bottom as in have the bottom now the top of the cake! Thats a rule that I just do and a good one to always remember to do:)

lizab, Aug 7, 7:30am
sav - where were you using the watered down jam!

sav271007, Aug 7, 7:58am
um i put it over the cake before laying the fondant on top then on the zebra stripes to stick to the fondant. was that wrong lol

kimkat1, Aug 7, 7:57pm
I use buttercream icing under the fondant, it helps to get a smooth finish. smooth over the cakes as best you can and lay your fondant over that. smooth out with your hands or smoothing panel. the buttercream will give and move abit to help this happen.And I use a tiny bit of egg white for all my gluing. just a tiny dab with a pintbrush and it dries really quick. oh and I always turn the cake over so the smooth bottom becomes the top. Hope all that helps.Kim

sclaredy_cat, Aug 8, 12:51am
Just water is fine - just not too much or it will run, especially with black and white. The best knife I have for detailed fondant work is like a small vegetable knife with a slight curve in the tip, so that when you draw it towards you it sort of pulls itself through the fondant without dragging. Mine looke like this: http://www.aceros-de-hispania.com/images/victorinox-50501/victorinox-50501.jpg

sav271007, Aug 8, 10:52pm
great everything helps thanks so much am looking forward to making more cakes!

sav271007, Sep 7, 10:32pm
bump for any more :)

gardie, Sep 8, 5:31am
agree:buttercream is the best base although you can make a ganache instead of this for a special mud cake (eg).Traditionally, you used 2 layers of fondant on a fruit cake (upside down of course) after you had filled any little nook and cranny with tiny bits of fondant.It was oh so time consuming but the finish was fabulous.Use sugar syrup as a glue to stick fondant onto fondant.And only the bare minimum.

chicco2, Sep 8, 8:07am
You dont need sugar syrup to stick fondant to fondant, once the 1st layer is on and a little dry, simply wet your hands with water and rub all over the cake, that layer of fondant becomes sticky enough to adhere the 2nd layer to it. Just make sure your 2nd layer is rolled out ready to place on the cake.

sav271007, Sep 9, 2:46am
Does anybody know how to stop the cake sweating! I put my cut up cake in a container and the fondant just went wet, is there a way of stopping that or is it just what happens!

chicco2, Sep 9, 6:27am
It will sweat if sealed. Just cover it with a light throw or netting umbrella.
Leave it in the pantry, or somewhere away from fingers, cats and rodents.
A fruit cake will keep for months and a fresh cake for a day or so longer than usual. The fondant seals the cake.

sav271007, Sep 9, 8:54am
ok cool thank you, i now feel alot more confident to make my next cake!

chicco2, Sep 9, 9:06am
Just noticed that you said cut up cake in your previous post, just put it in your container, but dont seal the lid.

sav271007, Sep 29, 8:29am
another thing again lol-

Im making a 3 tiered cake on a Friday for my daughters party on the Saturday so how much do I do on the Friday!
if I finished the whole thing, fondant decorations and all, will it be ok on the bench overnight or do I decorate the three separate tiers then assemble on the Saturday!
if that makes any sense!! thanks

lizab, Sep 30, 1:24am
I'd assemble the whole thing and leave on the bench. That way, the fondant will be firmer for the party the next day.