Breadmaker bread - grumbly tummies

arrowmax, Aug 4, 9:27am
Have recently purchased a breadmaker and love the bread - except. we notice that we end up with grumbly/upset tummies after eating the bread.Have wondered if it is the increase in fibre, or the yeast, or the addition of gluten flour to the mix - anybody got any ideas or had this problem!

lindylambchops1, Aug 4, 9:59am
Check out some other recipes use search function left hand side of this page & change date to Last Year.Use Key Word Breadmaker Recipes.

I never add Gluten Flour.I make various loaves & we always feel very satisfied after eating them unlike bought sliced bread.

lindylambchops1, Aug 4, 10:02am
My basic recipe is:
3 tsp yeast
2 tsp sugar
1 & 1/2 c warm water
2 sloshes of oil (Rice bran)
1tsp salt
4 c bread flour
Place into machine & hit start button for White Loaf.

I vary this with wholemeal flour, or I add mixed grains, herbs, sometimes I make a fruit loaf with spices.

Keep trying!

pickles7, Aug 4, 12:05pm
Put up your recipe. It may not be your bread at all.

arrowmax, Aug 4, 7:33pm
I have the Breville Big loaf bread maker and just use all the recipes from this book - fairly standard recipe of water, salt, oil (I use rice bran), milk powder, sugar/honey/syrup, gluten flour (usu 2 tbsp but I have reduced to 1), yeast (3 tsp) and 5 cups flour.I vary this for wholemeal, rye, seeds, oats, bran etc but quantities remain same.Oh, and this is for a 1.5kg loaf.We love the bread - it is very filling but just causes some upset tums :(

sumstyle, Aug 4, 8:24pm
Maybe it's cos it's so yummy you are eating more, slices are thicker and that's enough to make it difficult for your tummies to process if you are sensitive to gluten but never noticed before as your intake was less, with thinner, smaller bits of bread!

serf407, Aug 4, 9:06pm
Looks like you will have to be the food sleuth to solve this issue.

1) What is the spread used ! Does everyone use the same spread ! www.betterbods.co.nz Blends and marg will likely have antioxidants such 319, 320 but often not listed on the food label. People do have reactions to these. Spread alternatives Use no spread, spreadable cream cheese (half the fat of butter), little butter (warm to ease spread), avocado when in season.etc Have a look at the palm kernel as a cow feed and the implications for butter use issue http://www.listener.co.nz/commentary/the-fat-in-the-feed/

2) Water unlikely to be the problem. No possums in the water tank !

3) Flour - fresh ! when is the expiry ! Does it smell musty !

4) Gluten and wheat intolerances are well known. Leave Gluten out as a trial.

http://www.lizford.co.nz/sue-shepherd/ 5)oil - rice bran - possibility of anti-oxidant not listed on label. 6)Milk powder - Aussie - can have soy lecithin - affects some people at low levels.

7)Teflon has been suggested as a problem for some.
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/releases/4716.php

Mix bread in breadmaker but cook in non-teflon coated tin in the oven.

8)Yeast allergy !
http://www.allergy-details.com/yeast-allergy/yeast/

Try a yeast free bread recipe.

9) Honey- allergic to honey !

etc

arrowmax, Aug 4, 10:32pm
Thanks all - and serf, thanks for your detailed reply.We actually eat less of this bread because it is more filling, I bake heaps (not just bread) so my flour is a quick turn around (IMO) and I buy in the 5kg and usually not just a home brand.Most other ingredients in the bread we have often, except the yeast and the increase in the fibre things - wholemeal, seeds, oats etc though we do have these in the baking I do.I am going to stop using the gluten flour as I think there should be enough gluten in the flour and I will trial whether the problem is more noticeable with the more wholemeal types of the breads. Yeast allergy! Possible (though when I drink beer that seems ok :)) It has caused us to reduce the amount of bread we make which is a shame because the smell, taste etc of it is well liked but I will perservere!

lythande1, Aug 5, 1:54am
All you need is flour, water and yeast and a pinch of salt.
As for flour: http://www.mybreadmix.co.nz/modules/cpshop/breadshop.php!op=prod&sid=1005410017

shiyo, Aug 5, 5:40am
try using just yeast and not the breadmaker one with the extra improvers in it as well. I have the same trouble but find my home made bread doesnt cause the problem as much as shop brought bread, And leave out the gulten flour, that will only worsen the trouble. And sunflower seeds will do it to some people as well.

stoats, Aug 8, 8:00am
I have been making bread in one of the very first breadmakers Panasonic brought out for over 20 years now & have made hundres of loaves as we were on a farm with teenage boys, you know how much bread they can eat. here is my recipe.(by the way the breadmaker is still going great)
3 good cups of white flour
1 Tablespoon sugar
1 Tablespoon full milk powder
1 tablespoon oil
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 or 2teaspoons yeast (no more as too much yeast could be your problem)
Approx 10 fluid ozs warm / hot water (add more water if the dough is too stiff
PS. make sure the dough is really soft & sticky as this helps with the rising & makes a nice loaf
Good Luck

shiyo, Aug 8, 11:43pm
stoats.panasonic are the best arent they.My last went for 25 years and then they stopped making them, so had something else that was ok but just went out and brought the latest panasonic one they have started making again. Hopefully this one will last the distance too.

meetee, Aug 9, 6:42am
I had the same problem with the yeast for bread makers so use plain dried yeast and less than the recipes say. It's all the 'improvers' etc that are the problem.

samanya, Aug 9, 7:07am
I made your loaf today & it is great .thanks.