Crayfish Platter (GF)

darcii, Jul 31, 5:29am
Hi, I have been given a crayfish and am going to share it with a couple of family memebers. One is gluten intollorent.
What nice things would go well with the cray on a platter set out for lunch?
I have brain fuzz and need some direction lol Thanks

buzzy110, Jul 31, 5:38am
Can we take it you will be serving the crayfish cold?

darcii, Jul 31, 5:41am
Yes, I will cut down center and serve it as is

rainrain1, Jul 31, 5:48am
lettuce and mayonnaise, the condensed milk mayo

davidt4, Jul 31, 6:20am
I would serve it with a mayonnaise flavoured with lemon zest, dill or lime zest.here's a basic recipe.

Mayonnaise

3 egg yolks
300 ml extra virgin olive oil
juice of 1 - 2 lemons
salt
freshly ground pepper (preferably white)

All ingredients need to be at room temperature.

Whisk the egg yolks (use a hand whisk, or an electric whisk or a small food processor) until well blended and starting to thicken.Very gradually trickle in the oil, keep whisking and when you have added about a third of the oil it should be starting to thicken.As it thickens you can increase the rate at which you add the oil.

When it gets very thick add the juice of one lemon, this will thin it down.Add salt and pepper, continue to add the oil until you have a very thick mayonnaise.

Taste and adjust with more seasoning or lemon juice if it needs it.If it tastes too eggy it needs more salt.

You can vary this basic mayo by adding Dijon mustard or fresh garlic, chopped herbs, chopped capers, gherkins or anchovies.

buzzy110, Jul 31, 6:23am
Oh god. I just cannot compete with ideas that others will have. I catch a lot of crayfish and have discovered that Winter is not a great time for putting together a summery food platter - namely because summery foods are not in season and secondly because what you can get is expensive and not that nice imo. I have also found that crayfish goes well with very little.

If it were me I'd probably team my crayfish on a platter with more seafood such as fresh steamed mussels, smoked salmon, Island style raw fish and ½shell oysters with warm crusty bread and a beautifully made vinaigrette and lemon wedges but I think that this is out of the reach of most people's pockets. I'd probably also add peeled and wedged fresh oranges and raid my carrot garden for the smallest, sweet, super fresh carrots just for the sheer joy of doing something quirky.

Maybe you could surround your crayfish with a medley of roasted winter vegetables - chunks of potato, kumara, butternut, baby onions, carrots, parsnip, whole mushrooms and some not so wintery vegetables like red capsicum and courgettes. Sprinkle fresh dill over your crayfish if you have any. Add some crusty warm bread and a bottle of decent riesling or chablis

prawn_whiskas, Jul 31, 6:26am
I'd warm it up, its winter!

If cooking for others I'd do Crayfish Mornay on GF Pasta.

oscarnz, Jul 31, 7:59am
If you decide to use this suggestion, please do not use malt vinegar in the mayo as it is not gluten free

motorbo, Jul 31, 8:00am
no just dont use cheap mayo with good cray please

shop-a-holic, Jul 31, 10:58pm
I'd be making it into a Thermidor and not share it with anyone!! :-)

darcii, Aug 1, 5:29am
Hi, I have been given a crayfish and am going to share it with a couple of family memebers. One is gluten intollorent.
What nice things would go well with the cray on a platter set out for lunch!
I have brain fuzz and need some direction lol Thanks

buzzy110, Aug 1, 5:38am
Can we take it you will be serving the crayfish cold!

davidt4, Aug 1, 6:20am
I would serve it with a mayonnaise flavoured with lemon zest, dill or lime zest.here's a basic recipe.

Mayonnaise

3 egg yolks
300 ml extra virgin olive oil
juice of 1 - 2 lemons
salt
freshly ground pepper (preferably white)

All ingredients need to be at room temperature.

Whisk the egg yolks (use a hand whisk, or an electric whisk or a small food processor) until well blended and starting to thicken.Very gradually trickle in the oil, keep whisking and when you have added about a third of the oil it should be starting to thicken.As it thickens you can increase the rate at which you add the oil.

When it gets very thick add the juice of one lemon, this will thin it down.Add salt and pepper, continue to add the oil until you have a very thick mayonnaise.

Taste and adjust with more seasoning or lemon juice if it needs it.If it tastes too eggy it needs more salt.

You can vary this basic mayo by adding Dijon mustard or fresh garlic, chopped herbs, chopped capers, gherkins or anchovies.

buzzy110, Aug 1, 6:23am
Oh god. I just cannot compete with ideas that others will have. I catch a lot of crayfish and have discovered that Winter is not a great time for putting together a summery food platter - namely because summery foods are not in season and secondly because what you can get is expensive and not that nice imo. I have also found that crayfish goes well with very little.

If it were me I'd probably team my crayfish on a platter with more seafood such as fresh steamed mussels, smoked salmon, Island style raw fish and ½shell oysters with warm crusty bread and a beautifully made vinaigrette and lemon wedges but I think that this is out of the reach of most people's pockets. I'd probably also add peeled and wedged fresh oranges and raid my carrot garden for the smallest, sweet, super fresh carrots just for the sheer joy of doing something quirky.

Maybe you could surround your crayfish with a medley of roasted winter vegetables - chunks of potato, kumara, butternut, baby onions, carrots, parsnip, whole mushrooms and some not so wintery vegetables like red capsicum and courgettes. Sprinkle fresh dill over your crayfish if you have any. Add some crusty warm bread and a bottle of decent riesling or chablis

prawn_whiskas, Aug 1, 6:26am
I'd warm it up, its winter!

If cooking for others I'd do Crayfish Mornay on GF Pasta.

shop-a-holic, Aug 1, 10:58pm
I'd be making it into a Thermidor and not share it with anyone! :-)