Cast Iron frypans

Page 1 / 3
kiwiscrapper1, Jul 19, 5:31am
I think I'm supposed to 'season' it first but cant remember how to do it, its been a long time since I have had one but bought one in Kirks sale and would like to use tonight..if anyone can let me know TIA

whitehead., Jul 19, 5:48am
you put about an inch of oil in your pan and heat it up till its hot enough to brown a smallbit of bread then turn it off and let every thing cool down .if they have a wooden handle i remove the handle and put the oil in the pan and put it in the oven at 350 for about 20mins and then let it cool down ,and dont be too busy with the goldy locks to clean it

rainrain1, Jul 19, 6:02am
Are they those pans that everything sticks to?

elliehen, Jul 19, 6:03am
Not if you season them first :)

rainrain1, Jul 19, 6:09am
Oh god they are terrible things....I bought one, used it once, and gave it away.

karenz, Jul 19, 6:18am
I love cast iron cookware, I have several frypans in all different sizes including a genuine American griddle one, and a really old casserole, it is bright orange on the outside so I am guessing 70;s, as long as you season them and rub them with oil after you have washed and dried them they are fantastic.Things cook a lot faster and more evenly.

seniorbones, Jul 19, 6:36am
you gave away a $400 cruset pan??? wish you had told me first!

seniorbones, Jul 19, 6:37am
this is quite a deep one so can be used in the oven too, I nearly bought a skillet too to cook steak on but maybe next time

rainrain1, Jul 19, 6:49am
Did it cost that much?I didn't notice, gawd you've got me worried now

beaker59, Jul 19, 2:46pm
Just oil it up and heat it on the element til smoking then cool start using it it won't be that non stick at first but will just get better and better. More importantly don't use soaps or detergents on it I use a scourer on mine or you can get too much build up on it but generally after use while still hot I put it in the sink under the running tap and give it a rinse and scrub thats it then put away.

beaker59, Jul 19, 2:47pm
The expensive ones are those ceramic coated ones which are a different kettle of fish all together we are talking std Black cast iron here.

winnie231, Jul 19, 9:04pm
Not sure where you got the price/brand from seniorbones?? Rainrain didn't mention this - only that they had bought a cast iron pan & then given it away. Could have been a $20 one too.

eljayv, Jul 19, 9:15pm
My cast iron pan is very very old and more non stick than any other item in the house .........and you can heat them up as high as you want without damage, particularly good when cooking steaks. Just don't use detergent to clean it. Rinse it out with very hot water if and wipe with paper towel.

sophia4, Jul 20, 1:16am
my husband has spent hours seasoning his new cast iron skillet and wok from Briscoes and a carbon steel wok from the Warehouse.Heat them up till hot, wipe on some oil, put in a hot oven.He has done multiple layers and they are perfect.The more time you spend seasoning in the beginning, the less time you spend scraping the food off later.Also I find that they need to cook at a reasonably high heat, if I put things in before they are heated hot enough, they do stick until hot enough.Oh yes, and to clean as mentioned above, a gentle scrub with brush and washing up water, then heat up again and wipe oil on before putting away in the cupboard once cold again.

kiwiscrapper1, Jul 20, 5:31am
I think I'm supposed to 'season' it first but cant remember how to do it, its been a long time since I have had one but bought one in Kirks sale and would like to use tonight.if anyone can let me know TIA

rainrain1, Jul 20, 6:02am
Are they those pans that everything sticks to!

rainrain1, Jul 20, 6:09am
Oh god they are terrible things.I bought one, used it once, and gave it away.

seniorbones, Jul 20, 6:36am
you gave away a $400 cruset pan! wish you had told me first!

rainrain1, Jul 20, 6:49am
Did it cost that much!I didn't notice, gawd you've got me worried now

kumerakid, Jul 20, 9:04am
I use the oil and salt method - makes a lovely non stick pan,treat it like all non stick

beaker59, Jul 20, 2:46pm
Just oil it up and heat it on the element til smoking then cool start using it it won't be that non stick at first but will just get better and better. More importantly don't use soaps or detergents on it I use a scourer on mine or you can get too much build up on it but generally after use while still hot I put it in the sink under the running tap and give it a rinse and scrub thats it then put away.

winnie231, Jul 20, 9:04pm
Not sure where you got the price/brand from seniorbones! Rainrain didn't mention this - only that they had bought a cast iron pan & then given it away. Could have been a $20 one too.

eljayv, Jul 20, 9:15pm
My cast iron pan is very very old and more non stick than any other item in the house .and you can heat them up as high as you want without damage, particularly good when cooking steaks. Just don't use detergent to clean it. Rinse it out with very hot water if and wipe with paper towel.

mwood, Jul 21, 8:19am
Yep they make omelettes to die for

beaker59, Jul 21, 1:55pm
Agreed though not so great for poaching in I have another pan for that.