roast chicken in water?

tania58, Mar 20, 3:50am
I'm going to roast a cornfeed chook for dinner and I was reading Ray McVinnie and he said roast it in water to keep it moist ... now not my first time cooking a chook, but was also reading Julia Child who does the chook in butter.

I'm not health conscious with a roast but was curious does putting the chicken into water to roast actually work and crisp the skin up without fat ?

desmodean, Mar 20, 4:00am
I always use water when roasting any meat, especially pork bones, keeps meat moist. Dont put too much in because chicken has a lot of natural juices, I usually start off coating the skin in lemon juice and season, and I put a little water in the dish. Check the chicken when cooking and if no juices at the bottom of the dish add more water and baste often. Will brown nicely! For a really moist chicken if you have herbs in the garden, wrap the chicken in herbs with cooking string and when cooked throw herbs away-as they'l be brown- and the chicken will be yummy and moist! Great for rotisserie too.

guest, May 31, 10:21am
I used to do whole Roast chicken in 1/2 cup of chicken stock for 20 minutes on the breast, then turn it right side up, drizzle with olive oil, season well and roast for another 40minutes. The skin gets beautiful and crisp. If you wanted, add a cut lemon and onion to the inside of the bird when cooking. Hope it helps.