Marmalade Questions?

pamellie, Jul 18, 12:30am
Last week I made some orange marmalade which turned out well. I thought I would make some more but a different type so I have been looking at recipes. The one I used you peeled the skin off the fruit, then saved the pith and used the flesh which was chopped with the peel. The pith and the pips were then wrapped in cloth and cooked with the fruit and then discarded. This worked well.

Other recipes I have seen get you to chop the whole fruit and soak overnight before cooking.

Can anyone tell me if one method is better than the other and what they think is the best way?

rozke, Jul 18, 1:34am
l have a huge tupperware bowl l throw everything in there and keep cooking in the microwave until set .Son used to go thru 1 jar per week. Cheers

cgvl, Jul 18, 1:40am
pamellie, I have done both and to be honest its either/or but by removing the pith then you tend not to get that bitter after taste some marmalades can have.
The nice thinly sliced soaked over night one is great for looks and gifts. the one I make is more your standard kitchen eat now one, all thrown in the food processer to chop.
The overnight one is great if you want to cut it all up before bed and then make 1st thing in morning.

pamellie, Jul 18, 8:08pm
Thanks cgvl I did wonder about the bitterness with all the pith. I am going to make some regular grapefruit marmalade in the food processer. I guess if it has a lot of pith I might chop it out and not use so much.
I made some more orange yesterday and it looks amazing as the colour is so intense.

cgvl, Jul 18, 10:41pm
I have some limes, that I keep considering making into marmalade, but have been too lazy as yet and its a tad chilly to be mucking around in the kitchen.
Enjoy your orange marmalade, I have trouble getting that one to set properly.

buzzy110, Jul 18, 10:46pm
I have never removed the pith on my marmalades. I make two types - grapefruit and one from lemons, oranges and tangeloes for people I know who are on statins but my husband just loves the second type so I have to make masses of that sort.

If you have lemons it is also a good time to be knocking out jars of lemon spread, but not the microwave sort that needs to be eaten fast. I make the normal type and ensure it goes into properly boiled and sterilised jars and are properly sealed. They can last for well over a year in the fridge.

pamellie, Jul 19, 1:29am
Maybe your oranges are too ripe. Ours don't ripen until september but are busy falling off the tree already. They look so good but are still very sour!! I have had no trouble getting it to set, I used my thermometer which has helped.
I now have a lemon and lime 'shred' on the go which will be a bit like a jelly. I'm about to hang it to drip overnight, should be fun finding somewhere to hang it safely!

juliewn, Jul 19, 1:33pm
Sounds delicious Pamellie.. let us know how it works out..

pamellie, Jul 20, 12:14am
Julie, it looks great but surpriseingly is a very orange colour. Taste is good but has more of a subtle flavour than a marmalade, however that may change as it gets colder as the flavour may intensify.

wron, Jul 20, 12:16am
Buzzy could you please post the one for statin "victims" please. I (hubby) make the grapefruit version (new batch starting today) but this year my wife has been put on a drug which means she isn't allowed to eat it!

cgvl, Jul 20, 2:51am
wron I queried that and have been told by medical professionals that if you already eat grapefruit marmalade everyday then you will be ok to continue. It only affects the statins if you happen to have the grapefruit on an occasional basis, but it may also depend on what and how high a dosage the statins are.
Instead of grapefruit use a mix of lemons, limes and oranges or just lemons and oranges.