Icing/frosting issues

alebix, Jul 16, 12:46am
Hi there,

Can anyone please suggest a suitable frosting for cupcakes so I can do those fluffy swirls on top?

Also, can you please suggest a really good easy buttercream recipe.

Many thanks.

motgirl, Jul 16, 12:54am
This is for a buttercream to pipe your swirls.

125g butter
250g icing sugar.

Beat softened butter for 8 minutes until fluffy and light. Add 1 tsp vanilla extract then add icing sugar in small additions beating well with each addition.Add 2-3 tsp boiling water and beat again. (The boiling water makes the icing nice and smooth)
This is a very basic buttercream from The Essential Guide to Cake Decorating book but one I use all the time.

motgirl, Jul 16, 3:52am
Here are some cupcakes I did this morning using that buttercream.The flower toppers I made yesterday to give them time to dry;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/44791835@N04/5942026454/in/photostream

meegs35, Jul 16, 4:11am
They look beautiful. Did you get the molds for the flowers (the ones that are light pink just under the roses)? Your roses look gorgeous too. Too good to eat!

motgirl, Jul 16, 4:21am
Thanks meegs35.The cupcakes a for my daughters flatmates birthday.
I used a veiner like the one shown in this tutorial- mine is pink though.
http://www.cakejournal.com/archives/how-to-make-a-gum-paste-flower

alebix, Jul 16, 9:00pm
Thank you so much Motgirl. You are very talented.

Have you ever used a meringue based icing?

motgirl, Jul 16, 9:30pm
I haven't Tried a meringue based one yet- not sure how it would hold up in Brisbane weather but on the cake journal link above there is a tutorial there for Italian Meringue one. Hope this helps.

motgirl, Aug 9, 2:19am
Hi Splitty, just found your reply.I did manage to find one, ended up getting from the UK but really appreciate you taking the time to post that.

flower-child01, Aug 9, 7:15am
50g butter, room-temperature
1 1/2 c icing sugar
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2-4 dsp water
2 dsp cocoa if chocolate

Beat well. This is lighter, yet delish