Tips for desolving gelatine?

b190, Jul 10, 2:27am
In the past month I have made 2 yummy cheesecakes but both times there has been a teeny hint of chewy gelatine bits in them:( Only a couple, but I've been asked to make my cheesecake for a family 'do' next week and don't want there to be any gelatine 'bits' in it. Is there a trick? I did as the recipe said........ Mix it with 2 tablespoons of water, leave for 10 mins, then dissolve with boiling water (It didn't give a measurement so I probably used about 2 tablespoons worth.......). After mixing it I could see any 'bits' and yet there was still one or two int he cheesecake.

norse_westie, Jul 10, 2:40am
I simply use boiling water, and it takes a fair bit of stirring. If after 5 minutes you still have some bits, try microwaving it for 10 second bursts, stirring, then microwaving again till it dissolves. This doesnt seem to affect the setting of it.

joker13, Jul 10, 2:40am
I made a cheesecake yesterday and sprinkled the gelatine over the water and then had the cup sitting on top of simmering water stirring the whole time. It all dissolved and there wasn't any of that grainy texture you were talking about. Good luck

b190, Jul 10, 2:52am
I wonder if sprinkling the gelatine over the water might help....? If it's ok just to use the boiling water I might do that instead of using cold water to start. Thanks:)

davidt4, Jul 10, 3:24am
You need to soak the gelatine in cold water first, leave it to swell, then it will dissolve in the hot liquid when you stir it in.Make sure the liquid is hot enough.

245sam, Jul 10, 3:25am
b190, I usually swell the gelatine in cold water i.e. cold water in cup, add gelatine and let it sit for about 10 minutes or so, then

(a) if the mixture that the gelatine is being added to is hot, just add the swelled gelatine and stir until it is all dissolved in
or
(b) if the gelatine is being added to a cold mixture, gently dissolve the swelled gelatine by either standing the cup in boiling water or gently heating it in the microwave - by either method, only heat the gelatine until it is all completely dissolved then be sure to mix it quickly and thoroughly into the cold mixture.

Hope that helps.:-))