Lamb neck chops, I buy these for my dogs because

Page 2 / 2
dinkydi5, Mar 21, 8:49am
What is the best way to cook a piece of Lamb Forequarter. Would it be ok to put in the slow cooker, any recipes would be appreciated, thanks.

vtired, Mar 22, 1:48am
What a waste of beautiful chops, I brown them and put them into pot roasting dish, chop up an onion or two, a clove or two garlic, can of toms, mixed herbs put the lid on and cook slowly for about 1-2 hrs on 160-180, skim the fat and mix up a couple pkt gravies to thicken, sometime halfway thru I will add pots, pump anything I can find in the fridge, lovely on a cold night with mashed pots and bread and butter to soak up the gravy.

geedubu, Mar 22, 4:24am
Don't let this thread be mistaken for a petfood discussion; these are some of the finest eating that meat can provide and at a supercheap price. If you are fussy about fat (and who isn't) trim it iff first or cook the day before, let it cool & skim. Otherwise there is no way you can go wrong with this cut as long as you give it enough time. Any recipe on the thread will do.

geedubu, Mar 22, 4:28am
dinky, Sorry for the add-on, but as far as forequarter is concerned; roasting it or cooking it damn near any way you want will work, there is no doubt that it is superior to leg meat. Long and slow beats fast and expensive for just about all cuts, and I have the choice.

uli, Mar 22, 4:41am
Me - I love fat on meat :)

beaker59, Mar 22, 5:06am
Me too if I do trim fat off or skim it off I keep it for adding to or cookingmy game meats in. Fatty cuts are generally the tenderest and tastiest as fat carries flavour. Weather its bad for you is debatable these days as your colesterole is made within your body rather than adsorbed as colesterole. If you are weight concsious then just eat less.

geedubu, Mar 23, 6:04am
All right I admit it I love fat too but I added that in case my wife looked at my messages

rainrain1, Mar 23, 6:08am
Sounds like Irish Stew to me

papariccardo, Jun 12, 5:28am
You know the name of the dish? I'm gonna have to talk to the butcher!

roys351, Jun 12, 8:50am
YOU SHOULD BE ON THE PET SECTION
neck chops can be a cheaper boil up option to pork, ive bought venison neck chops for boil up($5for6single feeds) but u have to add some pork or sheep fat to help with the flavour

daezar, Jun 12, 10:40am
A yummy quick & easy old recipe is French Chops I use neck chops. A) dust chops with meat, place in roasting dish or casserole and pour over 1tblsp tomato sauce. 1tblsp worchestire sauce, salt, pepper to season and 2 tblsps of flour add finally 1. 5 cup of water then just stir all in, Put lid on dish (i don, t bother) bake for 2hrs or less at 180. When done the self thickening gravy is rich and brown. I usually add vegies in such as carrots etc also. Enjoy

dwebble, Jun 12, 10:47am
Yummmmm neck chops! It was one of our regular meals when I was a kid and I used to cook them for my kids. Haven't in a while, but one of my fav's. I just chucked them in a casserole dish with whatever vegies I wanted, some seasonings and curry and cooked them til the meat could be just sucked off the bone. Oh, thickened of course before you eat it.

psychicxpress, Jul 29, 6:09pm
I agree dwebble.
It used to be one of the cheapest cuts of meat and I was raised on them. Cooked well, they a are melt in the mouth meaty nutruitious treat... and as for the dogs?
Well, the dogs got the leftovers... the bones ;)