Red cabbage & chicken help please

raewyn64, Jul 8, 11:22pm
There was a recipe in the NZ Herals the other day for braised red cabbage as follows:
Braised red cabbage

1. Shred half a red cabbage, discarding any tough pieces. Finely chop 2 red onions, scoop out the flesh from 12 tamarillos, grate some fresh ginger and deseed a red chili.

2. Place in a casserole or baking dish with 1 cup of brown sugar, a cup of red wine vinegar, the juice of 2 oranges and 2 tsp of salt.

3. Cover with foil and bake for 1 hour in a moderate oven, remove the foil and bake for half an hour more. If the mix is still too wet, strain off some of the liquid and reduce it by boiling. This dish should not be too sloppy. Check the seasoning - you may want to sharpen it up with a squeeze of lemon or lime.

I haven't got any tamarillos - they were way too expensive so can anyone give me some suggestions on what I could use instead to get something yummy?

Also I was thinking of serving this with chicken and mashed spuds. I have a whole chicken which I can cook so does any one have any ideas of something I could do with the chicken that would compliment the flavours from the red cabbage?I am just wanting to do something a little different for dinner tomorrow night.
Thanks so much in advance for any suggestions

245sam, Jul 8, 11:51pm
raewyn64, here's how I cook red cabbage - it's not oven-cooked but I guess there is no reason why it couldn't be done that way or alternatively how about using the recipe you have from the Herald and simply using apples instead of the tamarillos?

SPICED RED CABBAGE
½-1 firm red cabbage
1 onion
1 medium cooking apple
2 tbsp sugar
3 tbsp butter
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp each of cinnamon and ground nutmeg
⅛ tsp ground cloves
1 tsp vinegar
shake of white pepper
1 bay leaf
½ cup water
2 tsp cornflour

Cut the cabbage into long fine shreds. Chop the onion and apple. Put into the pan with all the remaining ingredients, except the cornflour.
Cook for about ½ hour, stirring occasionally, drain a little if necessary, then thicken with cornflour and simmer for 5 minutes.
Serve with e.g. lightly fried sliced onions, thick apple sauce, potatoes and any cooked meat.
Serves 6.

For your chicken I suggest a simply roasted chickene.g.
http://www.masterchef.com.au/chook-roasted-with-garlic-and-verjuice.htm

Hope that helps.:-))

raewyn64, Jul 9, 12:33am
Thanks so much 245sam I shall give that a try with the cabbage.
I checked out the chicken recipe - can you or anyone enlighten me with what verjuice is?
Thanks again
Raewyn

245sam, Jul 9, 12:56am
You're welcome raewyn64.I recall Maggie saying that verjuice is the juice from unfermented grapes - have a look at:-

http://www.maggiebeer.com.au/products/details/?Item=PrdctsVerjuice62

raewyn64, Jul 9, 1:05am
Thanks again for that :)