Can I freeze Braised Red Cabbage....

rog.e, Jun 19, 6:54am
I have so much red cabbage I am thinking if I braise a heap I could freeze the delicious end result for further ahead mrals.

Has anyone ever done this. Does it work?

V

Edited for typos

uli, Jun 19, 7:45am
Sure Val - no problems :)

I usually braise onions first, then add the red cabbage with bay leaves, juniper berries and whole cloves. Then add some red wine and some red vine vinegar (or cider vinegar), and when it is all cooked I add 3 to 5 peeled, diced apples :)

Anything I cannot eat I freeze in ice cream containers. Then go on and do it all again the week after - talk about a "glut" ...

rog.e, Jun 19, 8:05am
So delicious it makes me drool. Thanks for theanswer uli.

I have just finished my dinner and ate some I made tonight. More left for tomorrow night.

I love the smells coming from the kitchen whenit is cooking. I used a big pinch of Cinnamon in this lot and liked that.

V

vintagekitty, Jun 19, 8:36am
that sounds so nice, where do I buy Juniper berries, and isnt Gin made from them?

and how many bay leaves and how much vinegar?

lilyfield, Jun 19, 9:08am
gin is not made from them- the berries are added for flavor in some types of Gin(Dutch mainly).

I also cook enormous pots full of red cabbage at a time and then freeze in meal portions.

uli, Aug 19, 9:48am
vintagekitty - it depends on the amount of red cabbage really. For a big one I use maybe 4 to 5 bay leaves, about 10 to 15 juniper berries, 5 cloves (whole) and a pinch of cinnamon or a whole quill. You can also add a spoonful of brown sugar. Add 1/4 cup of vinegar and then taste test towards the end. Add the apples when the cabbage is cooked and just heat them trough for a couple of minutes so they are not mushy.