Making Bacon

Page 2 / 2
mapman, Jul 10, 4:16am
All done and come out OK. Had a thunder storm and flash flooding to contend with at the same time, but got there in the end. I did some beef jerky too. I only marinated it for an hour so not as nice as it could be. I’ll leave the bacon to chill in the fridge before I slice some off as it will be easier to cut and then will post my thoughts on the flavour. I’m not expecting to have a fantastic result and realise the more I make some, the better I’ll get.squeakygirl, I might try yours next time.

mapman, Jul 10, 9:26pm
Sliced three rashers off this morning and had my first taste. I figured the first rasher would be the dogs as I feared it would be too salty and I was right. My over all all impressions pretty good. It is too salty for my taste buds, but apart from that I’m very happy. If cooks beautifully without any spitting, looks and smells fantastic so not a bad effort first time up. Two mistakes I made was not adjusting the amount of salt for a thinner slab of meat and not shopping around for a thicker cut. I’ll only give it 6/10. Next time with the above adjustments, it shall be more to my liking and yes, there will be a next time.

beaker59, Jul 10, 10:58pm
Life is just a big journey of learning, sounds like a worthwhile exercise to me. I seem to recall Bacon being saltier as a kid maybe I've turned into a bit of a saltier dog myself over the last 50 years or have our tastes changed maybe real bacon is meant to taste saltier than the chemically made stuff we buy in packets at the supermarket.

Corned beef used to be saltier too mum used to soak it overnight in water before cooking and it still tasted saltier than the stuff we get now days.

mapman, Jul 11, 12:52am
I think your right beaker59 and ham used to taste better than today’s best cuts. I was very impressed with it not spitting and the finished product was just like the best Streaky Bacon in looks. I cooked some for my son to try a bit latter and he gave it 7/10, maybe it’s not as salty the further you get from the edge. Next time I’m also going to soak it in just water for 2 hours or so, after the curing process and I’ve washed off the salt. Work in progress anyway and I know it will be better next time.
I did take a photo of the bacon just after I cut it but don’t know how to post photos here, any body know?

redback2, Jul 11, 1:49am
look on the fishing website forums and under kitchen thread ie: bradley smoker and you will find tons of info and pics. i did some with wild pork and loved it.

redback2, Jul 11, 3:51am
looks nice. i also tried venison and it came out beaut.(wild)

mapman, Nov 20, 4:40am
I’ve just finished smoking my second cured bacon and look forward to trying tomorrow. The smoking method was the same but I cured via another method. Reason being is this way there is a lot less salt used. It’s very simple, just use a little salt each day and draw off the fluid. Add what ever you like for extra flavouring. It was a Canadian recipe so I followed the recommended flavours which was Maple syrup, Rosemary, plenty of pepper and just 2 table spoons of salt on the first day. I added added Golden syrup and a Cajun dry rub. For the next five days just lightly sprinkle salt over the pork belly and drained the build up of fluid. Wash the pork belly on day 5 and soak for a couple of hours and pat dry before smoking.
I’ll let you know the outcome tomorrow. Smells and looks out of this world.

mapman, Nov 22, 6:46am
I had my first try this morning and it is mothers nectar. Not too salty and tastes good. I’m totally hook now and will cure and smoke four pork bellies next time. Each one with a slightly different flavour added during the curing process.I’ll slice and freeze all but a weeks worth and figure it will just be far my economical to do it all in one go, after all my smoker is big enough.

babytears, Nov 22, 7:12am
Ohhhh yum, sounds good. tried making bacon once, haven't tried again. good on you!

kumerakid, Nov 22, 7:18am
when i make our bacon, i use a dry rub cure,I was told not to use table salt as it forms a crust on the bacon, so i use salt i have to grind up,good luck and hope it turns out yummy for you.

shop-a-holic, Nov 22, 8:44pm
You can use Plain Table Salt. Never iodised.
Essential for Wet Cures and Dry Cures.

mapman, Nov 22, 9:36pm
In all the recipes I’ve looked at they say to use Kosher salt. It dissolves fast and is perfect with pork. I think that’s what I have used via my salt mill. I did read somewhere that fine table salt should not be used as it is too fine and can work in to overpower your meat. It also said not to use the bigger salt crystals like rock salt without grinding onto the meat as it wont be able to get in and cure as it should.I guess there is no reason why you can’t use plain table salt if you use a lesser amount than grounded rock salt. But hey, I’m no expert so my advice is find a recipe that you like the look of and stick to what it says. If that didn’t work out to your liking, as was my case above, move onto another one.

shop-a-holic, Nov 23, 3:46am
Kosher Salt is actually Plain Table Salt with no additives such as Iodine. There is a slight myth that Kosher Salt is a larger grain salt. Some people in the US call a larger milled-grain salt kosher. Whereas Kosher Salt can also be finely milled called Plain Table Salt.
All salt is salt. It's still sodium chloride and it still dissolves the same.

Similar practice applies to the name Spatchcock. Some people refer to it as a type of bird, when in fact it's a cut of poultry in the same league as Maryland cuts.

mapman, Nov 23, 6:43am
Cheers shop-a-holic, that clears that up.