BACON HOCKS

marree, Aug 1, 1:16am
Can someone please give me a recipe using bacon hocks (obviously soup - would be nice) is there anything else I can do with them?

marcs, Aug 1, 1:28am
I just get a king soup flavouring mix (hearty Vegetable is very nice). Follow the instruction on the back but I like to add more veggies diced fine. Cook for at least 3 hours. Not sure what other recipes to use bacon hock for but I am sure it is out there. Google it maybe

marree, Aug 1, 1:41am
Thanks marcs - I don't have a really large pot (closest thing is my slow cooker), so will give it a go.

lythande1, Aug 1, 2:20am
Well I boiled one up the other day, cut the meat up, added to fried up left over mash and served with an egg. Disgustingly delicious.

marree, Aug 1, 2:42am
Thanks lynthande1 - I was thinking that too! (rather than boiling, could I bake / roast) - might give it a go anyway!

theanimal1, Aug 1, 3:00am
Pappardelle with bacon hock peas and spinach

1 onion
1 bacon hock
½ cup chicken stock
1 cup frozen peas
2 cups baby spinach leaves
2 sheets fresh lasagne
2 tablespoons olive oil
4 rashers bacon

Peel onion and cut into quarters. Place onion and bacon hock in a saucepan and cover with water. Simmer for one hour, replenishing water to keep the hock covered. Drain, reserving one cup of cooking liquid. Cut skin from hock and discard. Remove meat from bone. Chop meat roughly. Bring reserved cooking liquid and chicken stock to the boil. Add peas and cook for five minutes. Add spinach and cook a further minute. Cut pasta sheets into 4cm wide, long ribbon lengths. Cook pasta in a saucepan of boiling, salted water for eight minutes. Drain and drizzle with oil. Return pasta to saucepan with pea mixture and bacon hock pieces. Mix to combine. Grill bacon. Remove rind and cut bacon into 4cm pieces. Serve pasta mixture in bowls with crisp bacon pieces.

Serves 2

theanimal1, Aug 1, 3:07am
Bacon Hocks Braised with Tomatoes and Red Wine

Ingredients

* Zest of 1 Orange
* 8 Small Red Onions, peeled
* 800g Italian Canned Tomatoes in juice
* 4 Bacon Hocks
* Chopped Parsley
* Salt
* Black Pepper, freshly ground to taste
* 250mls Red Wine

Servings : 4 - 6
Directions:

Preheat the oven to 190°C.

Put the bacon hocks into a large saucepan and cover completely with cold water.

Bring to the boil and simmer 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and drain. Discard the water.

Put the bacon hocks into a large ovenproof casserole dish and add the other ingredients except the salt, pepper and parsley.

Cover and place in the oven for 3 hours until the bacon hocks are tender and the meat is falling off the bone.

Remove from the oven, uncover, peel the skin off the
bacon hocks and discard it.

Skim the fat off the sauce, taste and season with salt, if necessary, and pepper.

Serve, sprinkled with chopped parsley, on mashed potatoes.

marree, Aug 1, 3:08am
yum - that sounds good!

theanimal1, Aug 1, 3:15am
you welcome xxx

cookessentials, Aug 1, 4:26am
I do mine in the crock pot and add enough water to cover the hock well. I cook the hock on it's own first, in the crock pot until the meat begins to fall off. I remove the hock and take off all the meat and discard the skin. I skin the large amounts of fat from the top of the cooled liquid and then to that I add:
The chopped ham hock meat
chopped onion
carrots,sliced
swedes, cubed
potato,cubed
kumara,cubed
1/2 bunch celery( leaves and all) chopped
1x can chopped tomatoes
1 Litre of Campbells vegetable or chicken stock
Tomato paste ( to my taste)
freshy ground pepper.

Once cooked through with hardest vege beginning to soften, I add spiral pasta..sometimes the tri-colour. When the pasta is cooked through, I get a lovely thick soup that you can just about stand your spoon up in. I serve with fresh crusty bread. Just adjust ingredients to your own tast to get the flavour you like

cookessentials (1176 )3:29 pm, Tue 26 Apr #5

marree, Aug 1, 5:37am
Everyone thanks so much - cookessentials (do you also boil the hocks as for other recipes above?).I'm not that keen on boiled meat (a reminder of some meals from childhood), but if it's in a good recipe will give it a go.Reason I'm asking this is that one of our supermarkets has the hocks on special @ 80 cents each this week - is this a good buy (not sure how big they are tho?)

lythande1, Aug 1, 6:51am
Remember they're quite salty and have a strong bacon flavour. It's not like boiling strips of bacon. That's why I boiled it first, mostly I do soup, but thought of a nice fryup for once instead. Mmmm.

lyma1, Aug 1, 7:05am
Much of a hock is bone and fat, you can buy a pork roast for same cost per kilo this week and have less bone and wastage.

cookessentials, Aug 1, 8:39am
No, I dont boil them...I cook them in the crock pot...usually the day before all day so the meat just drops off.

pussy01, Aug 1, 8:59am
what supermarket has them at that price?normally $5 each at the cheapest

theanimal1, Aug 1, 9:42am
cookessentials ...

your recipe sounds so yummy, im going to steal it and make here xxx

tonsta2, Aug 1, 9:51pm
and OMG 80c each for hocks is AMAZINGly good price - which supermarket??? I have been paying 5-6 dollars for the smallest ones....

marree, Aug 1, 9:52pm
pussy01 - it's Countdown - but OMG read the damn thing wrong - 80 cents PER 100gm (is that still reasonable tho?).

marree, Aug 1, 9:55pm
Ok I will make soup today / tomorrow - no soup pot - only have slow cooker or rice cooker (I've been told I can make soup in rice cooker - it has 5 cup capacity & would be quicker).So would 1 bacon hock suffice or should I use 2?

fifie, Aug 1, 10:34pm
Have this recipe but haven't tried it yet, might make a change from soup if they are going cheap..
Slow Cooker Glazed Bacon Hock.
1-2Small Bacon Hocks
Large tin pineapple pieces
1/4 cup honey
1 tablespoon wholegrain mustard
4 cloves
1/4 cup dried cranberries
fresh herbs.
Turn cooker onto high to heat up. Put Pineapple and juice, honey,mustard,cloves cranberries in slow cooker and stir well. Remove the rind from the bacon hocks and sit hocks in the pineapple mixture in cooker. Lid on and cook 4 hours on high. When cooked, and meat is falling off the bone remove the bone serve the meat with mashed potatoes, spoon over the glaze and sprinkle a few fresh herbs on top.

karenz, Aug 1, 11:06pm
I make a great tasting soup using bacon hock.I boil the hock until the meat is literally falling off the bone, remove, and when it is cool take as much meat off the bone as possible to add to the soup.Then strain the stock and boil so the scum rises to the top and you can skim it off.While you are doing this lightly fry diced carrots, celery, onion and garlic in olive oil, add a tin of crushed tomatoes, basil and oregano and the skimmed stock along withred lentils, cook until the lentils are soft then put the meat into the soup.You won't need salt but may want to add pepper.

cookessentials, Aug 2, 3:31am
wonderful. I am sure you will enjoy it. I dont measure things much, I just throw in what suits and tastes good. Plenty of spiral pasta makes it so thick you can stand your spoon up in it...just how I like it.