Bacon Stock

rusty-bones, Jul 30, 3:27am
I can't buy it at Foodtown or Countdown anymore. Do they still make this. I have'nt used it for ages but I got a recipe of here that needs some. It's so annoying.

lx4000, Jul 30, 3:31am
what do you need it for?

You can add a bacon and onion magi soup mix?

rusty-bones, Jul 30, 3:34am
Good idea, I'll find the recipe and see if I can get away with that.

rusty-bones, Jul 30, 3:36am
This is the Recipe...do you think I can get away with using the soup mix??

Alison Holst's CORN CHOWDER
1 carrot
1 potato
1 onion or leek
1 cup water
2 tsp instant bacon stock
50g butter
3 tbsp flour
1 x 450g can whole kernel corn
1 cup milk
Scrub then cube the carrot and potato. Cook the potato and carrot with the chopped onion or sliced leek in the water for 10 minutes or until the potato is tender. Stir in the bacon stock.
In another pot melt the butter, add the flour and make a sauce using the corn liquid made up to 2 cups with milk.
Stir the sauce into the cooked vegetables. Mash or puree if desired, then add the corn.
Serve with toast or crisp bread rolls as a complete meal. Top with grated cheese if desired.
Serves 3-4. :-))

lx4000, Jul 30, 3:46am
you probably don't need the flour. Try adding a few tspns first, then add more if needed.

harrislucinda, Jul 30, 3:49am
trythebinninn,sthey haveit

winnie231, Jul 30, 4:06am
Not sure what 1x4000 means ... the flour is there to make a roux.
As for the bacon stock - just use finely diced bacon instead. I have a very similar recipe & that's what I use.

rusty-bones, Jul 31, 3:27am
I can't buy it at Foodtown or Countdown anymore. Do they still make this. I have'nt used it for ages but I got a recipe of here that needs some. It's so annoying.

lx4000, Jul 31, 3:31am
what do you need it for!

You can add a bacon and onion magi soup mix!

rusty-bones, Jul 31, 3:34am
Good idea, I'll find the recipe and see if I can get away with that.

rusty-bones, Jul 31, 3:36am
This is the Recipe.do you think I can get away with using the soup mix!

Alison Holst's CORN CHOWDER
1 carrot
1 potato
1 onion or leek
1 cup water
2 tsp instant bacon stock
50g butter
3 tbsp flour
1 x 450g can whole kernel corn
1 cup milk
Scrub then cube the carrot and potato. Cook the potato and carrot with the chopped onion or sliced leek in the water for 10 minutes or until the potato is tender. Stir in the bacon stock.
In another pot melt the butter, add the flour and make a sauce using the corn liquid made up to 2 cups with milk.
Stir the sauce into the cooked vegetables. Mash or puree if desired, then add the corn.
Serve with toast or crisp bread rolls as a complete meal. Top with grated cheese if desired.
Serves 3-4. :-))

lx4000, Jul 31, 3:46am
you probably don't need the flour. Try adding a few tspns first, then add more if needed.

winnie231, Jul 31, 4:06am
Not sure what 1x4000 means . the flour is there to make a roux.
As for the bacon stock - just use finely diced bacon instead. I have a very similar recipe & that's what I use.

delms50, Jul 31, 6:12am
I found the bacon stock at Bin Inn.The corn chowder is beautiful.

destiny6nz, Jul 31, 8:34am
i buy mine from Binn Inn

kinna54, Jul 31, 8:51am
Maggi used to make it, but has been off the shelves for 2-3yrs now. The bacon and onion soup is ok as a substitute, strength would differ a bit though. I haven't seen any other brand around, if anyone knows of a brand name that is still available can you please post it. TIA

nik12, Jul 31, 9:12am
I think lx4000 is saying the soup will have a thickening quality if you use it instead of stock.Not as much as flour - but a bit.
I like my soup thick, so it wouldn't worry me.

ferita, Jul 31, 10:27am
Just use a different instant stock, I doubt it will make much difference

destiny6nz, Aug 1, 8:34am
i buy mine from Binn Inn

kinna54, Aug 1, 8:51am
Maggi used to make it, but has been off the shelves for 2-3yrs now. The bacon and onion soup is ok as a substitute, strength would differ a bit though. I haven't seen any other brand around, if anyone knows of a brand name that is still available can you please post it. TIA

nik12, Aug 1, 9:12am
I think lx4000 is saying the soup will have a thickening quality if you use it instead of stock.Not as much as flour - but a bit.
I like my soup thick, so it wouldn't worry me.