Man in food van on tv night last night

Page 1 / 2
rainrain1, Jun 19, 11:41pm
I have forgotten the name of the program,Did anyone see it?What was the name of that wee machine that made those potato curls? what a wee goozy bottler that is, now I am wondering where I could buy one.

dbab, Jun 19, 11:44pm
Read down a bit further on the Recipes thread and you will see Spiral Vegetable Slicer.
I am enjoying his programme too.

rainrain1, Jun 19, 11:49pm
Good old kiwi ingenuity.thanks I just noticed that thread below,

klc1, Jun 20, 1:28am
I thought he said it was Japanese.

rainrain1, Jun 20, 2:07am
I was meaning the man making the low fat food, not the little whiz bang machine :-)

lythande1, Jun 20, 2:38am
I was disappointed. I expected fish and chips. But he made some fish meals, and some vege dishes, none of which, really, except perhaps the crumbed fish, could be called fish and chips.
Sure we can do roast root veges, we can bake kumara, we can do various pieces of fish steamed with herbs and veges but it's NOT fish and chips.

How about just what I do? Crumb fish, minimally, fry in a wee bit of oil, bake the chips. Still fish and chips.

harrislucinda, Jun 20, 2:58am
anddidyou seeall thegreaseon thepaperfrombrought1.s
atleastwhenandwhereibuymineverylittle

charlieb2, Jun 20, 3:41am
i was a little disappointed in the programme, hadnt seen the first week.

I thought one of the mums saying the kids kept coming back for more money to get more was a bit telling of the portion sizes served? lol.As lythande said, it possible would have been more of a challenge to see him present a healthy version ofgood old 'fush and chups'.

buzzy110, Jun 20, 6:16am
In the first programme he did a selection of "healthy" pies. They all looked rather nice but I thought that in order to keep the fat to a minimum he did make the pies smaller. Like you, I thought that they may have made a nice first course but one on its own was really insufficient for lunch. And they were pricey - $5 each.

iman007, Jun 20, 6:28am
pretty hard to beat my sounds blue cod cooked in beer batter,i could teach that dude a thing or two. lol

bedazzledjewels, Jun 20, 7:02am
Agree with commernts about his food. But he's such a pleasant chap. A breath of fresh air on the food front on tv.

klc1, Jun 20, 8:05am
My mistake.

samboy, Jun 20, 9:53am
what were those red looking chips he was serving, theres no mention of them on the web site.Everyone said they were delicious on the programme.

deb821, Jun 20, 11:25am
I think the chips were from a potatoe I had never heard of, or kumara chips, one or the other. just deleted it from mysky tonite, enjoying the show

510, Jun 20, 6:45pm
Michael van de Elze owns Molten in Mt Eden which has won awards , walked past there but never been there.
B dazz have you been there?

buzzy110, Jun 20, 11:17pm
I finally watched his second show last night and I have to say I was rather impressed with his attempts at producing interesting and "healthy" fast food. The potato curly whirlies were inspired and totally original. However, the cost was, once again, a bit prohibitive for the serving sizes.

I hated the lady and her kid who screwed their faces up at the pea sauce. What is wrong with people that a simple and tasty vegetable gets the thumbs down?

bedazzledjewels, Jun 20, 11:20pm
510 - yes I've eaten there often in the past and we had my mother's 80th birthday upstairs in their private room. Not eaten there much recently as it's very difficult to low carb your way through his menu - lots of grains & legumes used. His food is good - don't get me started on his tortured orange truffle!

rainrain1, Jun 20, 11:41pm
I have forgotten the name of the program,Did anyone see it!What was the name of that wee machine that made those potato curls! what a wee goozy bottler that is, now I am wondering where I could buy one.

lythande1, Jun 21, 2:38am
I was disappointed. I expected fish and chips. But he made some fish meals, and some vege dishes, none of which, really, except perhaps the crumbed fish, could be called fish and chips.
Sure we can do roast root veges, we can bake kumara, we can do various pieces of fish steamed with herbs and veges but it's NOT fish and chips.

How about just what I do! Crumb fish, minimally, fry in a wee bit of oil, bake the chips. Still fish and chips.

charlieb2, Jun 21, 3:41am
i was a little disappointed in the programme, hadnt seen the first week.

I thought one of the mums saying the kids kept coming back for more money to get more was a bit telling of the portion sizes served! lol.As lythande said, it possible would have been more of a challenge to see him present a healthy version ofgood old 'fush and chups'.

bedazzledjewels, Jun 21, 7:02am
Agree with commernts about his food. But he's such a pleasant chap. A breath of fresh air on the food front on tv.

510, Jun 21, 6:45pm
Michael van de Elze owns Molten in Mt Eden which has won awards , walked past there but never been there.
B dazz have you been there!

510, Jun 21, 10:59pm
Dazz, Moltens sounded a good place for your mum's 80th birthday.I have a sister who will be 90 later this year.Most of her childrenlive overseas, so some of the arranging will be done by me, does it have a lift to the upstairs room?Parking is a bit of an issue around there at times.

bedazzledjewels, Jun 21, 11:20pm
510 - yes I've eaten there often in the past and we had my mother's 80th birthday upstairs in their private room. Not eaten there much recently as it's very difficult to low carb your way through his menu - lots of grains & legumes used. His food is good - don't get me started on his tortured orange truffle!

bedazzledjewels, Jun 21, 11:39pm
Ah, that's the problem. I don't think there's a lift and it is upstairs.
Another option might be Bowmans which has 2 separate private dining rooms. It's on the corner of Mt Eden and Kingsview Roads. We've had x2 21st birthday dinners there.