Who makes their own yoghurt?

Page 1 / 3
stasi21, Nov 10, 6:10am
Please tell me how to successfully make my own yoghurt at home? every recipe that I have seen says to put it over night in hot water cupboard, but our one doesnt produce any heat on the surface, so isnt any good. Please share your tried and true recipes and tricks. TIA

winnie231, Nov 10, 6:30am
x1
Get yourself some 'villi' culture - it turns milk into yoghurt without any heating what-so-ever! And it's very yummy! ! ! Save a 1/4C each time to start a new culture.

uli, Nov 10, 6:32am
Use a chilli bin, add a soda bottle filled with hot water. Put your jars with milk and starter in and close the lid. Leave undisturbed for a day, then transfer jars into fridge for solidifying.

Works every time. Make sure the jars are very clean - like fresh from the dishwasher. Work cleanly (fresh spoons into the joghurt each time) and you can use the joghurt as a starter for a long time to start the next ones.

See also here:
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Community/MessageBoard/Messages. asp
x? id=310

deejaynz, Nov 10, 6:34am
Go to your local supermarket and buy a yoghurt maker it does not matter what brand, use either of the 2 brands available of yoghurt mixes - there is no need to put in the hot water cupboard - I leave mine on the sink bench overnite - even a trained mokey could use one!

uli, Nov 10, 6:36am
It is not yoghurt as we know it though winnie.
I hate it for eating, as the taste is quite different and the viscosity really puts me off - seeing those strings going for half a meter between the yoghurt and my spoon - eeek!

It is nice for sauces and salad dressings and of course being a mesophil culture means you can just leave it on the bench to thicken up, no need to keep it warm like the thermophil cultures we know as yoghurt. So I use my fresh goats milk and it makes a very "interesting" tasting salad dressing. Nobody ever figured out where the taste came from. The big advantage is that you can use raw milk for vilii, as it is so strong it will take over everything in its path. I don't think you can kill it :)

stasi21, Nov 10, 6:52am
Are you talking about Easyo (sp) yoghurt makers? I had a look at one at supermarket today and it says to make it with water! ! Which kind of defeats the purpose for me cos I like yoghurt for its calcium content! ! Or can i make it with milk also?

winnie231, Nov 10, 7:14am
LOL uli - I love your description of villi! I (thank goodness everyones taste buds are different or the world would be a boring place) loved villi from the 1st moment I met it! ! ! The flavour, texture & the fact I don't have to heat milk - mind temperature or anything else suits me fine! The fact I have unlimited raw milk available to me next door is an added bonus as it means I can enjoy an untreated, unheated, fermented food week after week ...

michelle_09, Nov 10, 7:36am
You mix the flavour sachet with the water, but there is calcium in the sachet from what i gather

beaker59, Nov 10, 7:47am
MMMMMMMM a bag of dried chemicals mix with water and into your "yogurt" maker mmmmmmmmm not really yogurt tho is it! !

uli, Nov 10, 9:22am
The stuff I used to buy in sachets was just milk powder and joghurt culture beaker59. So not too bad. You added warm water to the milkpowder, shook it and then put it into the "yoghurt maker" which is just a styrofoam container which gets filled with a certain amount of boiling water. You put the container into this and it comes up right to the top of the container and that keeps it warm until it sets.

However you now get it in sorts of "flavours" and with artificial sweeteners (called "sugar free" and supposedly extra healthy), but that is not necessary really.

seasiders, Nov 10, 1:54pm
easiyo make an organic sachet

janny3, Nov 10, 2:13pm
The Easiyo label lists Lecithin, derived from soya bean, as an emulsifier for the milk powder. Otherwise if you make yoghurt from just m/pwder & water it gets a little too much on the grainy side.
Got a pro-biotic one culturing at the moment, made w/ half Easiyo satchet & half scalded fresh cream. Can hardly wait... http://www.owndoc.com/candida-albicans/homemade-probiotic-yo
gurt/

stasi21, Nov 10, 7:34pm
this may sound stupid. . but could I theoretically make yoghurt in a easyo maker, but with just warm milk and a tablespoon of yoghurt? Would the easyo maker have the same effect as the chilly bin method? So that way I'm making yoghurt without all the additives that the easyo sachets seem to have? I want to make it for my 10 month old bubs to eat, so the less additives, the better. Thanks:-)

kirinesha, Nov 10, 7:37pm
Theoretically I would imagine that to work Stasi, the Easiyo container is designed with a double skin to retain heat.

fester7, Nov 10, 7:40pm
I've found a organic cows milk yogurt I like. My question is can I add some of this to goats milk to make my yogurt? I at the moment make esiyo ( for the kids) but am soon to have my goat in production.

supercook, Nov 11, 12:39am
What about greek yoghurt? ? Thick and creamy ! ! !
Can you make this at home?

tarshlove, Nov 11, 2:57am
Okay so what do you need to make it from scratch. I have a easyo yoghurt maker. i know some ppl make the pkt stuff then keep some and make more from that. other than this way what option is there and where do you buy the culture from? Also is there a lower carb version ? TYIA

racheee, Nov 11, 4:21am
I make it with the heated milk and a teaspoon of yogurt, and put it in the Easiyo, only thing is that I am going to find a jar I can fit in there instead as don't want anything from the plastic jar leeching in. Amazingly on Good Morning this morning they made yoghurt this way! I was very surprised and pleased. It was funny too though as I was actually making my own yoghurt at the same time. She even said you could use raw milk which was more of a miracle. I am not sure who the lady was that was showing Astar how to make it, but it seems like she does have some common sense about her.
Re: culture, just buy a small pottle of the green top Cyclops yoghurt and use a teaspoon of that. And from then on, just use a teaspoon from the yoghurt you make. Easy! And so cheap! Actually, you can even use less than a teaspoon as one time I made it, I ate all the yoghurt and forgot to save some so had to scrape the bowl - yoghurt came out fine!

janny3, Nov 11, 5:19am
Stasi, I usly make yoghurt in the easiyo w/ whole milk & 2 - 3 heaped dstspns of fresh plain yoghurt plus about 3 heaped dstspns milk powder. You don't need the milk pwdr but the yoghurt is a bit too watery/thin w/out. You have to scald the fresh/bottled milk first to kill off bacteria, then let it cool down before you add your starter/culture & pop it in the easiyo to set in the usual way. Swiss farming friends just scald the fresh milk then when it's cool add 1/4 satchet of Easiyo mix before putting it into the Easiyo to set. Racheee, I am looking for a glass jar to fit into the Easiyo b/c apparently plastic isn't recommeded for pro-biotics. Lucky Fester! I love goats milk. You can add a dollop or so of plain yoghurt to goats milk. As long as it's live yoghurt it still works. Goats yoghurt gets a bit watery/thin so you can mix in some milk pwdr. Can you still get goats milk powder these days?

stasi21, Nov 11, 5:44am
great. . thanks for your answers everyone! ! Cant wait to try it! !

fester7, Nov 11, 6:13am
Oh thanks janny will use that info. I have a friend who buys goats milk powder so it must be around... will ask where. My lovely girl due to kid anyday now:)

snapit, Nov 11, 6:47am
I use the glass preserving jars(big size about a litre), just have to get one the right height but I have used one that was a bit high and the top of the easiyo did not fit down tightly but it worked ok, Wrapped a towel around it to avoid any heat loss. I warm the jar and contents up a bit in tap hot water before putting into the maker with the very hot/boiling water, just a precaution as putting a cold jar straight into the very hot water might cause the jar to crack or break.
I used the seal and screw bandor sometimes a plastic lid.
If you don't have a preserving jar check out the op shops for a couple or some foodstuffs come in similar size jars, gerkins, peanut butter, pickled onions etc.

purplegoanna, Nov 11, 7:09am
Ive got caspian sea youghurt, i brought it of here, its fantastic, when i get down to the last 1/2c i just add 2 cups of milk leave it on the bench overnite and i wake up to youghurt again... . i HIGHLY recommend it.

uli, Nov 11, 9:14am
You can make Greek yoghurt at home - provided you have a milk sheep ...

janny3, Nov 11, 2:16pm
Envy you having goatsmilk Fester. There isn't much fat in it, so the yoghurt never is as creamy but the powder helps make it less watery. Tasted my half cream yoghurt & even when still warm is truly devine. When I'm rich, will make it w/ all cream.
Snapit, been trawling for the right height glass jars so the easiyo lid fits on. According to the pro-bioticis site, stainless steel will also do. If you find one the right size, that works, please let us know. Thanks!