If yoghurt is expired for 3 days

taffsgirl, Jun 10, 1:56am
is it still ok to eat anyone no how long over the expiry dates is safe?same goes for sour cream?ty

asue, Jun 10, 2:06am
If it smells and looks ok - should be ok to eat.I would only do this within 5 days of the expired date and only if stored at the right temperature.As soon as you open the lid you will know if its ok. (Otherwise bake with it)

245sam, Jun 10, 2:11am
taffsgirls, the date on those products is normally a Best Before date and not a Use By/expirydate.
Yoghurt and sour cream, like most cultured dairy products are normally perfectly ok to eat for sometime after their BBF date, providing that they have been stored safely i.e. covered and chilled.
I recall a previous poster advising that she had been told that those and similar products are generally ok for up to a month after their BBF date - I have personally used various such products well beyond their BBF date but I always check that they both smell and look ok and then if happy with both smell and look, have a taste - any sign of discolouration/mould or not so fresh smell and I discard, but your yoghurt, at only 3 days past the BBF date should be good as.

Hope that helps:-))

taffsgirl, Jun 10, 2:14am
thanks alot im googling stuff to use it in for baking as well.can u freeze it do ya think i got given heaps.ive distributed alot to sum mates who hav kids to expensive in shops 6 bux for a 6 pk.good for kids lunches after school and smoothies .

245sam, Jun 10, 2:21am
Yoghurt can be used in lots of cooking/baking, in particular IMO it makes great muffins - just use it instead of the milk quantity in basically any recipe, although IMO a little milk may still be needed as in the following recipe.....

TRIPLE CHOCOLATE MUFFINS
3 cups plain flour(450g)
1 tbsp baking powder
3 tbsp cocoa
1½ cups brown sugar(360g)
½cup each ofdark chocolate dotsandwhite chocolate dots – or chocolate buttons, quartered
120g butter, melted
1¼ cups milkor1 cup natural unsweetened yoghurt+½ cup milk
2 x 60g eggs, lightly beaten

Preheat the oven to 180°C and grease a 5cm muffin pan.
Sift the flour, cocoa and baking powder into a bowl.Add the brown sugar and dark and white chocolate dots.Mix, then add the melted butter, milk (or yoghurt and milk) and eggs and mix well.Three-quarters fill each of the muffin moulds.
Bake at180°Cforapproximately 20 minutes.Allow to cool for 10 minutes in the tin before turning out.

As well as googling, try doing a search here on this Trademe MB for more recipes and ideas - another suggestion is Ambrosia.:-))

cookessentials, Jun 10, 3:23am
Mel, it will be perfectly fine. If it has not been opened, it can last for quite some time after the date and be perfect.

duckmoon, Jun 10, 6:39am
yoghurt was developed to preserve milk...

the date is a "best before" - rather than a "poisoness afterwards' ...

I use my nose and my eyes - and make my own judgement...

but I also know that yoghurt can be fine for weeks after the best before date

antoniab, Jun 10, 6:41am
Dont freeze it - it curdles, learnt the hard way lol

macandrosie, Jun 10, 6:54am
Even at its worst it won't harm you! You can always use it in baking if you're not sure!

gemini007, Jun 10, 8:26am
I freeze yoghurt all the time and have never had an issue with curdling - odd.

kuaka, Jun 10, 8:43am
What would you have done before they started putting "best before" and "use by" dates on just about everything.You would have thought "hmm, how long is it since I bought this?" - then you would have opened it, sniffed it, maybe tasted it, and then used it (as long as it didn't smell putrid and wasn't wearing a fur coat, that is).It should be fine.

solarboy, Jun 10, 9:52am
Yes, I'd draw the line at sticking my face into fur that smelled that bad ...

kuaka, Jun 10, 9:55am
get your mind out of the gutter solarboy - I'm sure you knew I was referring to the yoghurt going mouldy!

taffsgirl, Jun 11, 1:56am
is it still ok to eat anyone no how long over the expiry dates is safe!same goes for sour cream!ty

245sam, Jun 11, 2:21am
Yoghurt can be used in lots of cooking/baking, in particular IMO it makes great muffins - just use it instead of the milk quantity in basically any recipe, although IMO a little milk may still be needed as in the following recipe.

TRIPLE CHOCOLATE MUFFINS
3 cups plain flour(450g)
1 tbsp baking powder
3 tbsp cocoa
1½ cups brown sugar(360g)
½cup each ofdark chocolate dotsandwhite chocolate dots – or chocolate buttons, quartered
120g butter, melted
1¼ cups milkor1 cup natural unsweetened yoghurt+½ cup milk
2 x 60g eggs, lightly beaten

Preheat the oven to 180°C and grease a 5cm muffin pan.
Sift the flour, cocoa and baking powder into a bowl.Add the brown sugar and dark and white chocolate dots.Mix, then add the melted butter, milk (or yoghurt and milk) and eggs and mix well.Three-quarters fill each of the muffin moulds.
Bake at180°Cforapproximately 20 minutes.Allow to cool for 10 minutes in the tin before turning out.

As well as googling, try doing a search here on this Trademe MB for more recipes and ideas - another suggestion is Ambrosia.:-))

duckmoon, Jun 11, 6:39am
yoghurt was developed to preserve milk.

the date is a "best before" - rather than a "poisoness afterwards' .

I use my nose and my eyes - and make my own judgement.

but I also know that yoghurt can be fine for weeks after the best before date

macandrosie, Jun 11, 6:54am
Even at its worst it won't harm you! You can always use it in baking if you're not sure!

kuaka, Jun 11, 8:43am
What would you have done before they started putting "best before" and "use by" dates on just about everything.You would have thought "hmm, how long is it since I bought this!" - then you would have opened it, sniffed it, maybe tasted it, and then used it (as long as it didn't smell putrid and wasn't wearing a fur coat, that is).It should be fine.

solarboy, Jun 11, 9:52am
Yes, I'd draw the line at sticking my face into fur that smelled that bad .

kuaka, Jun 11, 9:55am
get your mind out of the gutter solarboy - I'm sure you knew I was referring to the yoghurt going mouldy!