Yoghurt Bug.

rosel4, May 7, 1:40pm
Can someone please tell me where to get a yoghurt plant from!I know it seems unusual but my aunty had one about 30 yrs ago.She simply squeezed it out once it had turned milk into yoghurt & put it into another jar of milk left out on the bench.They went away for xmas hols and forgot to feed it, so it died. Would really like to know where I can get one please!

squeakygirl, May 9, 4:06am
I had one years ago - looked like bits of rubber and you could use cold milk with it. Made lovely thick yoghurt.

vmax2, May 9, 6:03am
buzzy is it grains or powder!Kefir is so easy, no heating needed.Much easier than making yoghurt and also better for you.Yogurt keeps your gut clean.Kefir repopulates the gut with good bacteria.

janny3, May 9, 10:06pm
I'd like to find one as well.It was in a clump, which was squeezed then rinsed and when needed popped into another jar of milk to work its magic.

chicco2, Aug 13, 12:04am
Someone has kindly given me a small amount of yoghurt bug in a jar of water, she told me to tip the bug into a sieve,wash it well and put it into a contaner with 600mls of milk. She also said in a few days I would have yoghurt.
Does it need to be kept at a certain temperature!

flower-child01, Aug 13, 12:45am

chicco2, Aug 13, 1:50am
Wow. thanks. She said to put it in the cupboard for 3-4 days. Nothing about using heat.

lenart, Aug 13, 2:24am
Judging from your description, you have kefir grains, which look like cauliflower florets (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/-
Kefir) and not Bulgarian yoghurt. Kefir grains ferment milk at room temperature and the temperature above 30C is no good for them. Don't heat the milk if you have kefir grains.

chicco2, Aug 13, 3:17am
Thanks lenart. Yes cauliflower florets. Room temp is a bit variable with Heat Pump on most of the time, but not at night. Does this mean it will just take a little longer! I have it in the pantry now out of the light. I guess it will make yoghurt when its good and ready.

sam1523, Aug 13, 5:56am
I had a bug many years ago and would dearly love another one any ideas where to get one thanks.

chicco2, Aug 13, 6:47am
Sorry sam I dont know how you make them, but if you keep this thread bumped, I am sure someone will help. :)

lenart, Aug 13, 9:10am
Yes, kefir grains work even in the fridge, although very slow. Their optimal temperature is 22C, we use cold milk from the fridge and keep the jar in a hot water cupboard in winter. Kefir is ready in 24 hours (depending on the ratio of grains and milk of course). The light doesn't affect them much, you can keep the jar onthe bench, although away from direct sunlight. Kefir is ready when it thickens and won't be liquid like milk any more. Glad, that you didn't cook them :)

lenart, Aug 13, 9:12am
Kefir grains are not man-made, they are living colonies of yeasts and bacteria, they grow slowly in milk and you can eventually divide them and give away.

chicco2, Aug 13, 9:42am
Thank-you for your help lenart.

lenart, Aug 14, 2:24am
Judging from your description, you have kefir grains, which look like cauliflower florets (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/-
Kefir) and not Bulgarian yoghurt. Kefir grains ferment milk at room temperature and the temperature above 30C is no good for them. Don't heat the milk if you have kefir grains. And normally kefir is ready in about 24 hours at room temperature.

lenart, Aug 14, 9:10am
Yes, kefir grains work even in the fridge, although very slow. Their optimal temperature is 22C, we use cold milk from the fridge and keep the jar in a hot water cupboard in winter. Kefir is ready in 24 hours (depending on the ratio of grains and milk of course). The light doesn't affect them much, you can keep the jar onthe bench, although away from direct sunlight. Kefir is ready when it thickens and won't be liquid like milk any more. Glad, that you didn't cook them :)